PDA

View Full Version : Why pros don't play with ESTUSA?

miki
04-25-2005, 08:22 AM
If Estusa is such a great true player racquet (by TW review) why non of pros use one?

framer
04-25-2005, 08:33 AM
If Estusa is such a great true player racquet (by TW review) why non of pros use one?

One guess - the lack of endorsement contracts and money. I don't know about elsewhere but in the US, when was the last time someone saw an advertisement for Estusa or some marketing presence at a tournament? If Estusa had money and an endoresment program to pay top or near top players or top juniors, then I think you'd see better adoption of their racquets.

This in not a fact, just my opinion and observation.

thanks

GrahamIsSuper
05-06-2005, 09:29 PM
I don't think Estusa actually exists anymore...I believe they are owned by Donnay or some other European-based tennis company, but I could be wrong.

As someone else said, it is near impossible to get ahold of them. I tried to get a preferred player (I called the phone #) and no one answered the phone. I have tried several times with no success. Boris really did a number on ole` Estusa.

It's a shame, because it is SUCH a sweet racquet.

nswelshman
05-06-2005, 10:26 PM
This in not a fact, just my opinion and observation.

I would put it as more of a fact!

Professional's need to be paid. If they can be paid for using certain product + prize money, it makes good sense to become sponsored and hand over yourself and use your abilities as advertising space to a company so they and the pro make a profit.

Top level pros' generally have racquets made to their specifications by their endorser, so the pros' have:

1) A racquet made or customized that suits them.
2) Multiple of the above racquets given as product.
3) A salary at the end of the day.

Some companies simply don't have the resources for marketing, or on the other hand are targeting a core market only.

If pros' weren't given endoresments and had to pay for their equipment, i'm sure you'd find a much different usage pattern of different racquets. (General, not specific to whether they would use Estusa)

montx
05-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Another thing Estusa might consider is a name change as well as a more aesthetic racquet. The racquet showing off the red white and blue is all well and good but the color placing leaves much to be desired.

But yes all in all it looks like a great racquet.

AndrewD
05-06-2005, 11:55 PM
Well none of the top pros use the POG midplus or the PS 6.0 85 but it doesn't make them any less the 'players frame'. Same with the Estusa. Still a good racquet (personally, I never liked them) but not a current, marketable, saleable racquet (if there was anyone still marketing the thing lol).

montx
05-07-2005, 01:41 AM
have you ever tried playing with it?

The Pusher Terminator
05-07-2005, 02:57 AM
My theory is that Eustasa does not produce racquets anymore and TW was stuck with a bunch of these racquets or got a sweet deal on a few caseloads. So they gave it a super high rating to try and get rid of them.

montx
05-07-2005, 03:08 AM
That is a possibility, but they could always do a charity give away to increase their publicity.

montx
05-07-2005, 03:09 AM
Or an auction off to get some cut of loss. But if the racquet specs are good, you can't deny the racquet some compliment

The Pusher Terminator
05-07-2005, 03:15 AM
Or an auction off to get some cut of loss. But if the racquet specs are good, you can't deny the racquet some compliment

The racquet is great...my theory may also be wrong. I just went to www.estusa.com and they actually produce some cool looking racquets. They are called the custom series....they looked very interesting!!

goober
05-07-2005, 04:31 AM
The racquet is great...my theory may also be wrong. I just went to www.estusa.com and they actually produce some cool looking racquets. They are called the custom series....they looked very interesting!!

Thanks for the link. Looks like they are definitely in business with a whole bunch of racquets that I didn't know about! Too bad they aren't marketing in North America or on the pro tour.

donnyz89
05-07-2005, 05:03 AM
I know someone who uses this, at first i thought what a wierd looking racquet. i dont like the looks and colors of it... wierd head shape too. dont like it, there are many racquet that plays as good with better names and prices. just because its different, doesnt mean its better.

tom4ny
05-07-2005, 06:00 AM
i remember when donnay, kneissl/adidas, snauwaert, le coq sportif, and in the usa - fox, all made tennis racquets and marketed here. who knows? maybe in 20 years you wont be seeing babalot racquets, 'cept for **** or something. it always changes but there has never been more of a selection then now. that i can recall.

something to be said for that egg shape though.

AndrewD
05-07-2005, 06:01 AM
montx,

I played the original Puma version which I really hated - felt too unwieldy and disliked the feel of it- and then the Estusa version which I thought was an improvement but still nothing that Id want to use myself. However, a lot of others liked it so I bow to weight of opinion. Not something Id waste my money on today though.

larrhall
05-07-2005, 06:05 AM
I had the Power Beam Pro and used it for about six months. It's an exceptional 'feel' racquet and might suit a pro for all-court play. It is not as well suited to baseline grinding. The construction of the head makes for great spin and natural kick. They are also thin-beamed, which makes for less power, and have fiberglass, same story - flex, spin, comfort, not power.

The pros are in a different era. They are using more powerful frames. My ex-coach, a touring pro for a brief time in the 80s, once said that Stan Smith, were he 25 again, would still be #1 in the world and I think that's possible. But the retro Stan or whatever would not reach #1 in the world using the flexible racquets of yesteryear. Well, how about Pete Sampras and the PS 85? What about Fed? True, but these are exceptional athletes in comparison to the average touring pro and even Top 20 player. Both Pete and Roger have/had amazing strength...The game is played at the baseline, but for a few throwbacks like Henman and Mirnyi, who are great volleyers.

IMO have Becker of '87 charge the net against a Vince Spadea passing shot and Vince wins the point 3 of 5 times...

TommyGun
05-07-2005, 06:07 AM
Estusa still exists, has their own website.

The margin in the business is slim if you are not a big manufacturer and seller, your margin needs to be maximized. You can make a decent profit if you keep overhead low.

From experience, professional contracts, even if heavy incentive laden, eat up a ton of margin and unless you have an Agassi, Roddick, Sharapova, etc. having pro's that play with it doesn't justify the ROI.

Estusa frames are great frames. Unfortunately, since Boris owns part of Volkl, he'll never use or endorse them again....

lude popper
05-07-2005, 06:11 AM
no $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$

for a paint job

am8622
05-07-2005, 08:56 AM
I think it also has to do with the fact that smaller companies are finding it harder and harder to compete with what are turning out to be HUGE companies, like Wilson, Prince, Head etc. They just can't get a share of the market against these giants. If you look at it that way, it doesn't really matter what they're racquets are like, its all about them as a business in an industry dominated by much, much bigger competitors. I just wonder if the other cos. are going to start merging and buying each other out and then we'll have even less racquet cos. Instead of AOL Timewarner we'll have Head PrinceKennex or something.

thejerk
05-07-2005, 09:25 AM
I've had a few estusas. The braided has control like nothing else. I don't have enough arm for it's stiffness though. On serve you really have to crank it up to get any power. You can place the ball on a dime though. By the way, The looks of the estusas rule. I couldn't believe how good they looked because of all the bad press they get. They are old school and manly.

tennisadict
05-07-2005, 10:17 PM
those are pretty cool raket, i saw the website and i like that Boris becker raket

federer_nadal
05-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Where are these estusa custom series on their ebsite?

Marius_Hancu
05-08-2005, 02:14 AM

It's a great racket. I am using it for my training, alternately it with my 6.0 85s, on which I have lead, thus are much heavier. I prefer those on matches, as I get more oomph on my serves.

Amazing feel. I am not sure if would be any worse overall than contemporary flexible Volkls, as I haven't tried those. I think it's just marketing.

fist pump
05-08-2005, 05:41 AM

i like the power beam pro the most as it is more flexible .
a very good stick and does everything well.

ragnaROK
05-08-2005, 07:24 AM
The power beams and power beam pros are very good rackets but it doesnt have enough money to sponser players. I'm sure even POG players get some sort of endorsement for using a Prince. But Estusa just doesnt have that kind of money. It's a lot like Pro Kennex except PK is in better shape.

supersmash
05-08-2005, 08:18 AM
..it looks like crap.

Tenny
05-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Well none of the top pros use the POG midplus

Considering there were many POG OS-users in professional circuit, I wonder why there was/is no POG MP user???

Kirko
05-08-2005, 05:11 PM
its an antique thats why like Edo would say I think the game is to quick for it to be considered.

nViATi
05-08-2005, 05:17 PM
no way to paintjob a non-estusa racquet to make it look like an estusa racquet. look at the head shape

GrahamIsSuper
05-08-2005, 05:24 PM

I play with it full time and have never had any issues with its power. It's all about swingweight and form.

Of course, I also have played and won usta tournaments with wooden racquets...they play pretty similar. I would disagree that the game is "too quick", POSSIBLY at the pro level, but I highly doubt that. They aren't hitting much faster, as studies have shown that wooden racquets and today's racquets can produce the same results on serves. In fact, I believe that the pro doing the study actually hit a 128 with the woodie as compared to a 127 with one of today's.

It seems like racquet design isn't LIMITING a top player's abillity, tech just makes it easier for players of lower caliber to gain better results by comparasin.

hofertennis
05-08-2005, 08:15 PM
I used to work with Ron Friedman in Tustin, CA when he worked for Estusa and had the North American rights to Estusa. The made some great racquets. Most notably the bright yellow Pro Legend Classic that Jimmy Connors used in the 1991 US Open. Once Friedman dropped his association with Estusa the frames were no where to be found in North America. So Jimmy Connors, Boris Becker (Estusa bought the Puma racquet Boris was using and renamed it), John Fitzgerald, Magnus Larsson and Nicklas Kulti all used and were under contract with Estusa in it's early years. Estusa also produced gold clubs and equipment.
Estusa "The Choice of Winner"

omigod
12-02-2005, 11:21 PM

Look at the weight variances of the racquet specs.

Power Beam 330 - 345g (unstrung)!

At least they are honest about it - unlike Wilson!

a529612
12-02-2005, 11:55 PM
My theory is that Eustasa does not produce racquets anymore and TW was stuck with a bunch of these racquets or got a sweet deal on a few caseloads. So they gave it a super high rating to try and get rid of them.

Are they still available from TW??

a529612
12-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Perhaps they'll have a chance if they put the Puma name on it.

bee
12-03-2005, 02:13 PM
I read a TW review and bought one. Looks like a shovel, play kinda' like a shovel...and I finally got rid of it. Hope the guy likes it more than I did. I just didn't find it to be that good of a racquet. Wilson and Head provide much beter options.