PDA

View Full Version : Would Nadal be as good if he's a righty?

hlkimfung
04-25-2005, 10:45 AM
in another word, does he fully utilize his lefty advantage?

Nadal obviously not yet develope a big swinging serve to swing the opponent out on the ad court. Does he hit his FH with enough topspin that runaway from the opponent's BH?

Some lefties utilize this born advantage more than some other lefties

IMO, Mac, Goran, Korda, Muster, Rios, Vilas, Leconte. Arazi do

Conners, Forget, Koubek, Lopez, Nieiemen don't

thoughts?

johnmcc516
04-25-2005, 11:01 AM
He would be good, but players like Fed wouldn't have as much of a problem against him.

VamosRafa
04-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Nadal obviously not yet develope a big swinging serve to swing the opponent out on the ad court. Does he hit his FH with enough topspin that runaway from the opponent's BH?

Goran Ivanisevic says yes to your second question: "[Nadal's] going to be very, very dangerous [especially on clay]. He has an unbelievably heavy forehand. For me, it's okay because it goes to my forehand, but against a right-hander, he will kill them with his forehand, they're going to jump out of the stadium. He's going to be very, very dangerous." (Estoril 2004)

As for the first question, I don't think Rafa is taking full advantage of his lefty serving potential. He says he needs to work on that.

How the left-handedness came about:

One massive decision was made for the young Nadal by his Uncle Toni. Rafa is a natural right-hander, but Toni was convinced his two-fisted backhand would be helped by using the stronger right arm. So he taught his nephew to play and serve left-handed.

Kevin Patrick
04-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Just read that Nadal is the 16th lefty to make the top 10 since the computer rankings started in 1973. The others:
Laver
Roche
Orantes
Tanner
Connors
Vilas
McEnroe
Leconte
Forget
Korda
Ivanisevic
Gomez
Muster
Rios
Rusedski

andfor
04-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Probly would not be as good but it really does not matter? Does it?

Young Pete
04-25-2005, 01:04 PM
if nadal was actually a "natural" lefty then he would be dangerous....
he is actually just a lefty in disguise. not a true lefty.

ragnaROK
04-25-2005, 02:15 PM
lol. That's like talking about how much better Sampras would have been if he was lefty.

nkhera1
04-25-2005, 04:31 PM
I think Federer and others would have an easier time against him because he heavy topspin forehand would be going into their forehand as opposed to the backhand. I've heard Nadal's forehand is nearly impossible for 1 handed players. However, I still think he would be a good player either way, its just that he may not be quite as good.

joeman957
04-25-2005, 04:58 PM
if nadal was actually a "natural" lefty then he would be dangerous....
he is actually just a lefty in disguise. not a true lefty.

He's about as lefty as anyone gets.

spinbalz
04-25-2005, 04:59 PM
He would be Moya

Max G.
04-25-2005, 05:23 PM
He would be Moya

No, that's who he would be if he suddenly became a choker.

Chloe
04-26-2005, 01:02 AM
Maybe he should play two fisted. I'd hate to have to wonder if he wouldn't have been more successful had he not at least given it a try!

SydW
04-26-2005, 02:27 AM
Maybe he should play two fisted. I'd hate to have to wonder if he wouldn't have been more successful had he not at least given it a try!

Another paranoid Nadal fan.

swedechris
04-26-2005, 02:47 AM
he write with his right hand..( moya is the other way around !!) he = nadal ,can maybe play some decent tennisfor that side too.. but why bother..? he is already doing quite nicely ..
he is here to stay and i predict he will give fed a lot to think about ..
good for mens tennis.
nadal has a physique and lungs that are well earned thru very hard training .. he moves like bjorn borg used to .. and volleys much better as he gains confidence ..

Chloe
04-26-2005, 02:51 AM
Another paranoid Nadal fan.
I sense some paranoia here, but it's certainly not coming from me.

Grow a sense of humour, dear.

SydW
04-26-2005, 02:53 AM
I sense some paranoia here, but it's certainly not coming from me.

Grow a sense of humour, dear.

I can tell the difference of genuine sense of humour and using the humour for disguise.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but that's how I fee about you at this moment.

Chloe
04-26-2005, 02:56 AM
No you can't.

"Using humour as a disguise"! That's hilarious. And almost clever! You're clearly a step above, um, whatever their names were.

Oh, you're also like, totally wrong. Feel free to mail me an apology when you're finished accepting your wrongness. I'll accept it, I promise.

SydW
04-26-2005, 03:09 AM
Sure. A bouquet of flower is on the way too dear.

Chloe
04-26-2005, 03:10 AM
Mmmm, flowers. Thanks!

SydW
04-26-2005, 03:11 AM
If that's not enough, I promise to make you breakfast in bed tomorrow.

Andres
04-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Exactly. Rafa Nadal isn't a natural left hander.
I had the chance to speak with him in the ATP Buenos Aires, and he said he's a right-handed man, who plays left-handed. He got some advices from his uncle, and started playing left handed when he was like 6 years old.