PDA

View Full Version : Speed drills

nadalfan4life
01-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Does anybody know any great drills that I can do on a 320m track? Thanks.

Ptrac
01-31-2010, 07:07 PM
For agility:
I would do stop and go drills, sprint 20 yards back peddle 10 yards and repeat for about 45-60 seconds, then a 30 sec break.

Speed:
Sprint 100 yards with a 20 second break and repeat as you wish.

bottom line: sprinting is most effective way of increasing speed paired with strength training and stretching. Any variation of sprinting will increase your speed. Good luck!

LeeD
02-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Personally, I'd stand center court, baseline, ready position, and with a racket in hand, pretending you're hitting a ball, move to right alley, back to center, splitstep, to left alley, back to center, split step, then up to service line, split, back to baseline, split, and repeat 3 times. TIME YOURSELF.
Now 15 minutes later, do it again...TIME YOURSELF.

J_R_B
02-02-2010, 04:19 AM
Personally, I'd stand center court, baseline, ready position, and with a racket in hand, pretending you're hitting a ball, move to right alley, back to center, splitstep, to left alley, back to center, split step, then up to service line, split, back to baseline, split, and repeat 3 times. TIME YOURSELF.
Now 15 minutes later, do it again...TIME YOURSELF.

I actually do a drill very similar.

1. Start at the center of the baseline.
2. Shuffle to left alley, shuffle back, & split step.
3. Run to the corner of the left service box, back peddle back, & split step.
4. Shuffle to the right alley, shuffle back, & split step.
5. Run to the corner of the right sevice box, back peddle back, & split step.
6. Run to the "T", back peddle back, & split step.
7. Repeat (2) - (5)
8. On loop 2, run all the way up to the net (not just to the "T"), touch the net, turn and sprint back through the baseline.

So I think the only differences are that I added the corners of the service box and that I do 2 loops instead of 3 with the sprint from the net instead of the service line on the 2nd. I also keep 6 balls behind the baseline. After I sprint back tot he baseline, I take the 6 balls and hit 6 second serves while I'm still winded, following the 6th one in with a split step at the "T" and a sprint to the other side of the court. Then I take a couple minutes to breathe, re-collect the 6 balls, and then start over on the other side of the court.

BMC9670
02-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Depends on your goals: are you trying to build quickness, top-end speed, endurance, or all of these?

For quickness, concentrate on explosive short-distance movements, high-knee bounding, butt-kickers, short distance sprinting, and stop and go drills.

For top end speed, do the above and add longer sprints that let you get to and hold your top speed - 60-80m. Resistance drills like running sprints with a parachute or bungees are good as well.

For endurance, ladder drills (100, 200, 300, 200, 100) and intervals 320m lap all out, rest, another, repeat.

These are primarily from my track and field days, but if you have a track available as you indicate, they can help tennis as well, especially quickness and endurance.