PDA

View Full Version : Time off.. or Recovery time...

rk_sports
01-17-2010, 05:47 PM
So... when a old or new injury flares up (be it shoulder, elbow, knee).. you decide to take some time off from tennis (be it few days or weeks)..

Now, what do you do in this period?

- You completely relax (no working out) and let the body heal
- You take a day or 2 off (like above) and then workout on the specific areas
- Just do light workout or just running..
- No time off in working out (just no tennis)

Funbun
01-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Most of my injuries result from running cross country, so I just ice the area and get acupuncture to get it healed as fast as possible.

rk_sports
01-18-2010, 01:43 PM
hmm.. except for 2 .. looks like there is no recovery time off for TW folks ;)

BMC9670
01-18-2010, 02:33 PM
For me it has depended on the injury. During my current shoulder injury, I've been doing more cardio (jogging, elliptical, footwork, and other general fitness). A couple of years ago I had an abdominal strain that made it hard to do any sports... just had to rest and heal it, then work back in slowly.

rk_sports
01-18-2010, 03:18 PM
For a real injury, I get it that you have to recover from it.

What I meant to ask is about the day to day recovery from playing heavily..or with a chronic injury..

P.S. I guess it applies to over 30 more than the younger ones..

albino smurf
01-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Totally situational. IMO when it is joint pain or more serious injury then time off is required, waiting until it is recovered. For minor stuff, aches and pains, some times it is better to gut it out and keep going. Going through the latter myself right now and the weather is crap. It is making it hard to motivate, but it is better to get at it then to get soft.

larry10s
01-19-2010, 07:33 AM
rest the injured area . cross train to keep fit

BMC9670
01-19-2010, 07:42 AM
For a real injury, I get it that you have to recover from it.

What I meant to ask is about the day to day recovery from playing heavily..or with a chronic injury..

P.S. I guess it applies to over 30 more than the younger ones..

Oh, I hear ya now. I'm 39 and do find recovery gets harder and harder. I try not to play competitive matches on back to back days, but rather light hitting or a clinic in between matches. I also try and vary court surface and try and play on har-tru as much as possible in the summer. I cross train - biking, swimming, basketball. Also, I try and take a walk and stretch after playing.

If I feel like the body is getting too tired from a prolonged period of play, I'll take a couple of days to re-charge with no exercise - eat some healthy high-protein food and take a few steams or hot-tubs. It really helps.

rk_sports
01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
...serious injury then time off is required, waiting until it is recovered. For minor stuff, aches and pains, some times it is better to gut it out ...

rest the injured area . cross train to keep fit

...If I feel like the body is getting too tired from a prolonged period of play, I'll take a couple of days to re-charge with no exercise - eat some healthy high-protein food and take a few steams or hot-tubs...

Interesting...
What larry10s says make good sense when there are problem areas as this makes sure you don't slack off (which I tend to do in the name of recovery :))
Just for a overall recovery, a couple of days off as BMC9670 says sounds like a good idea.

Thanks guys!

charliefedererer
01-20-2010, 08:28 PM
It's best if you can continue some sort of workout to stay in as good as shape as possible.
For an upper extremity injury, that means you can still work your legs, core and other arm.
For a lower extremity injury, than means you can still work your arms, core and other leg.