PDA

View Full Version : string mis-hit snap

zerox277
01-17-2010, 06:43 PM
I've broken the same string on my racquet three times now... once on an overhead and twice on a forehand. I'm around a 5.0 player and this only happens to one of my racquets. I mis-hit sometimes on my other 2 racquets and never had a string snap. I also string at 70 pounds poly.

schap02
01-17-2010, 07:02 PM
I've broken the same string on my racquet three times now... once on an overhead and twice on a forehand. I'm around a 5.0 player and this only happens to one of my racquets. I mis-hit sometimes on my other 2 racquets and never had a string snap. I also string at 70 pounds poly.

Couple thoughts here, check the grommets near where breakage occurs, what poly are you breaking? What racquest do you play with? String bed?
little more information and we should be able to narrow down a bunch of stuff...what gauge are you using?

beststringer
01-17-2010, 07:55 PM

Poly at 70! you must have arms of steel.

Steve Huff
01-17-2010, 07:59 PM
If you're having to string poly at 70, you're probably using the wrong racket.

tenkenazn
01-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Couple thoughts here, check the grommets near where breakage occurs, what poly are you breaking? What racquest do you play with? String bed?
little more information and we should be able to narrow down a bunch of stuff...what gauge are you using?

^^^ I agree, check your grommets. I remember when I had a local stringer who didn't know to to install my bumper guard and grommets correctly and snip it half to install it, that's where my strings broke :evil:

1st Seed
01-18-2010, 07:42 PM
^^^Last Saturday
2hr old NRG mains Tonic Gut crosses.
Popped on a overhead smash MISS_HIT.
So dissapointing.Was going to post a thread on worse miss hits,I truely believe that was mine.
Are you sure you're clamps aren't pinching to tight.?@7olbs damn that's nuts,You're poor elbow.

zerox277
01-18-2010, 07:50 PM
16X19 string pattern
Yonex rds
blue gear. 16 gauge

tennisnyc007
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
You use a bigger gauge than I do, but when you string poly's that tight, you always run the risk of shearing with a mis hit (I know, I string mine at that tension as well).

Weird that only one stick is breaking the strings though, so check the grommets for cracking...if any are cracked, get your stringer (or yourself) to put some teflon tubing into the bad grommet(s) next time it is strung, and this problem should be fixed.

zerox277
01-20-2010, 03:53 PM
what's shearing?

tennisnyc007
01-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Shearing it what typically happens to something where it goes to it "breaking or shearing" point and fails. This can happen to all materials, but when we are talking about strings, then you have to look at the elasticity of the material.

Poly's/Co-polys are great for durability (and now we know they bite the ball if you can generate the racket head speeds to use), but are relatively inelastic compared to Syn Gut, Gut, and even regular nylon strings. You can tell this by when you string, how much the string stretches before you reach your set tension on your stringing machine. Gut stretches the most (hence why you should also pre-stretch Gut or any high quality multi-filiament string), and Poly the least (well, maybe not the least out there since you have Kevlar and I think gamma used to have some kind of straight metal wire strings)

So what happens when you try to flex an inelastic material is that it "shears". Again, since Poly is inelastic (i.e. Stiff), especially tight right at the grommets where it is about to make a 180 degree turn around the hoop of the racket, it has the tendency to shear. This would be different than a typically break right in the middle of your sweet spot, where most of the time (not always though) you have friction on the strings, which causes notching in the strings making them thinner, and eventually leads to a regular break. You probably could shear strings in the middle as well if you could hit hard enough, but this also may give you the same result of breaking closer or near the grommets since the entire string bed would want to flex, and again has the highest tensions near the grommets.

A little long winded, but hope that this gives you an idea of shearing. You can shear anything, just some are a lot easier than others.

JS

LPShanet
01-23-2010, 04:03 AM

This kind of breakage is not uncommon with polys, due to their greater stiffness (and lesser elasticity) than other string types. As suggested above, I'd check the grommets on that frame to make sure there isn't something that is causing an issue, and maybe even replace the grommet set on that frame. But there's also a decent possibility that it's just coincidence, and that you're somewhat likely to break poly in any of your frames if you hit off center enough. Certainly, the high tension doesn't help matters either. Long term, if this becomes a big problem, you might consider switching strings or at least tensions. If you really hit so big that you need your poly at 70 lbs to keep it in the court, you may be a good candidate for Kevlar or other aramid mains. They are much less likely to shear.