PDA

View Full Version : Getting hit in they eye?

formula16
01-18-2010, 04:35 AM
Hi

I'm a new tennis player, and i was just wondering, how likely is it that you get hit in the eye in a tennis match (singles).

Just worried.

brad1730
01-18-2010, 05:03 AM
Very unlikely - unless you just stand there at the net when your opponent has an easy overhead. It's not something I worry about - just keep your racquet up when you are at the net, and you'll be fine. If you are uncomfortable with your volley's then stay back a few feet until you get a little better.

westside
01-18-2010, 05:13 AM
What brad said. Plus you're very rarely going to meet a player who'll purposly hit a smash at someones face.

Jonnyf
01-18-2010, 05:41 AM
It's very unlikely but yes, it can happen. Thomas Johansson (ex. Aus. Open champion) missed (i think it was) 18 months, because in a practice session he framed a backhand, the ball rebounded up and hit him in the eye.

equinox
01-18-2010, 05:57 AM
playing against someone of the similar level, practically zero chance of being pegged from smash. Groundies you'll able to block or dodge duck dive out of the way.

I've played many years with glasses and i've only ever been struck badly in the face once playing 2 guys in mixed doubles few years back. Entirely my partners fault for forcing me to position myself aggressively and then setting me up on a weak lolipop return.

Tennis is a very safe sport. More chance of rolling an ankle or pulling a calf muscle from lack of a proper warmup routine.

THESEXPISTOL
01-18-2010, 07:05 AM
LOL
once when i was a complete noobie (i was playing tennis for the 5th or 6th time) i played a guy that put some topspin on the ball and that was too much for me and i prepared a backhand and the spin bringed the ball into my body core and i adjusted the racquet swing and hitted my mouth badly with the racquet and injuried my lips badly, it dropped a lot of blood but i washed it with water and continued the game.

I learned a lesson that day.

El Diablo
01-18-2010, 07:24 AM
I've seen several get hit in the eye, one resulting in a detached vitreous, though all of them were hard hit balls that deflected OFF THE PLAYER'S OWN RACQUET into the eye. I imagine this is much more likely if you're a less skilled player who might not get his racquet quickly into position at the net. Not approaching the net obviously makes such an occurence very unlikely.

origmarm
01-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Only ever seen it once, hit off the players frame and into his face. Very very rare and really not worth worrying about.

goran_ace
01-18-2010, 08:08 AM
It is not very likely, but even at high levels, it does happen. It has happened to me once and it was scary.

If this is a really a big concern for you or if you have had a detached retina or any other eye injury in your past I would recommend wearing some eye protection.

WildVolley
01-18-2010, 10:24 AM
It happens, but usually the eye socket takes than impact rather than the eye.

If you play enough doubles you are eventually going to get hit in the face. If you are playing from the baseline, it mostly happens due to shanks off the frame and into the eye.

DownTheLine
01-18-2010, 10:25 AM
The only time I got hit in the eye is when I kicked the ball at a tennis cart and it hit the wheel bounced off and hit my eye.

Don't be worried rarely happens.

origmarm
01-20-2010, 03:00 AM
usually the eye socket takes than impact rather than the eye.

This is also worth mentioning. It's a bigger ball than say a squash ball for example

Ben42
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
It happened to me. Exactly the way Johnny F and El Diablo described. I framed a backhand and the ball deflected directly into my right eye. I didn't detach the retina, but there was a lot of bleeding behind it and into my eye.

I had to have both eyes covered for a week or so (this was about 15 years ago) and wasn't allowed to move. I had to spend the whole time in bed. When I finally was allowed up I had to take those drops to keep my pupil dilated because the impact tore the muscle of the pupil. I had to keep my pupil dilated for three months. No exercising during that time either.

My vision never did come back as sharp in that eye.

It's rare, but can be disastrous if it happens

SuperFly
01-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I've been hit in the eye 3 times-- it's not that bad, even if it's a hard shot. Trust me, a badminton birdie to the eye is worse. :)

forthegame
01-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Not seen that happen yet. I always turn my back when I give away an easy smash. Cowardly, yes.

maverick66
01-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Not seen that happen yet. I always turn my back when I give away an easy smash. Cowardly, yes.

more dangerous to. You dont want a ball to hit you in the back of the head. That could end you right there. If you gotta get out of the way run for the side or duck the net. Dont turn your back and hope it hits you in the butt if it hits you.

eeytennis
01-20-2010, 01:16 PM
I've gotten hit once and my eye started bleeding and my vision was blurry for awhile, but there were no long term affects thankfully. It was a fluke anyway, I was playing a singles match and my opponent hit a ball over to my side between points and I turned around to a ball hitting me in the eye :-/.

r2473
01-20-2010, 01:47 PM
It's All Fun And Games Until Someone Gets Their Eyes Poked Out.

topher.juan
01-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Very rare, but it can happen and it can cause serious eye damage (ie. detached retina). I wear oakley half-jackets (similar to tipsy's), have dark and clear lenses depending on light.

SystemicAnomaly
01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Have gotten hit in the eyes 3x (in the past 15 years) but never while playing a match. Have been playing for more than 35 years now. The first 2 incidents happened while teaching. I was working with and focusing on one student each time but got pegged by another. A wild, unexpected ball came from the 2nd student. In both cases, I was at the net at the time. My peripheral vision picked up an incoming ball. I did not turn to look at it, but just stuck my racket out to deflect it away. In both cases, the ball hit the upper edge of my frame and deflected squarely into the eye ball. The 1st incident was the right eye and the 2nd one was the left.

More recently, I got hit on the right eye again during a hitting session with some friends. I was picking up a stray ball at the net when I detected some movement out of the corner of my eye. Not realizing that it was a mishit ball, I turned to see who or what it was. The incoming ball did not come in squarely (into the eyeball) as with the other 2 incidents. This one came in at an angle and cause resulted in a "black eye" but did not cause quitre as much damage to the eye itself. The black eye persisted for more than a month.

Seems to me that doubles play, especially volleying, would be more likely to result iin being hit in the eye than singles play. But, as I said before, none of my 3 eye hits happened during an actaul match.

formula16
01-23-2010, 11:43 PM
what are the chances of getting hit volleying in singles?

Ken Honecker
01-24-2010, 03:51 AM
Less than in doubles since usually the ball will spend more time in the air and give you a chance to track it. If you are just starting out you might want to play at the base line until you develop a feel for the length of the racquet. I'd also be leary of playing up against an established player who didn't have enough sense not to blast it at a beginner.

That said I am what's left of an old S/V player and like nothing more than standing at the net beating back wicked shots. Bottom line is that you might get hit but it probably won't cause damage. You are probably way more likely to get an eye injury playing any other sport. Think 3rd base and a nasty shot that comes off a rock or getting a finger in the eye in any contact sport. If you really are worried you could dress up like that little kid in the Allstate ads with a helmet, chest protector and everything.

robelmoretenn
01-24-2010, 09:55 AM
The chances of getting hit as a lower level player is much higher, especially at the net.. Because you'll have less control at the net and hit your opponents floaters.