PDA

View Full Version : Drink of choice

vndpatel
01-18-2010, 06:39 AM
What do you drink before and during matches? Gatorade, Water, etc?

TnTBigman
01-18-2010, 08:41 AM
nice cold h2o. 2 sips every 10 minutes.

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-18-2010, 08:44 AM
I pour whiskey.

El Diablo
01-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Usually water, but I play once a week at 7 AM indoors (not much fluid loss), and it's black coffee for that one.

WildVolley
01-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Before and during matches now, I drink water. During the summer, I'll have water and some water/sports drink mix to provide more salts. Sometimes, I'll skip the sports drink and just eat salty nuts with the water during breaks.

DownTheLine
01-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Winter- Water with banana
Summer- Water, Gatorade and a banana.

Tina
01-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Winter- Water with banana
Summer- Water, Gatorade and a banana.

Yes, Agreed!!

davey
01-18-2010, 09:40 AM
I usually drink water or whatever gatorade, powerade, juice that's on sale at the store.

I downloaded the 1981 Wimbledon finals between Borg and McEnroe. During the changeovers you can see large bottles(40 oz?) of "Barley Water" though I didn't notice either player drinking it. Sounds pretty gross.

rk_sports
01-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Before - was drinking none.
- Now, I drink Vega Sport if going to play more than 2 hours

During - Used to drink Gatorade... not anymore
- Now, just plain water. Sometimes, Coconut water

sureshs
01-18-2010, 02:30 PM
I am using Powerade 0 calories these days. I was skeptical of these drinks but I can see a big difference in performance if I drink them instead of water.

forthegame
01-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Powerade all the way. I prefer it to everything else. Hate gatorade.

Hominator
01-18-2010, 03:12 PM
5-hour energy a couple hours before and G2 before/during/after play.

Larrysümmers
01-18-2010, 08:00 PM
before as in an hour er so I'll have some Gatorade.
During I'll take a few sips of water and Gatorade.
After chocolate milk

ChuDat
01-18-2010, 08:26 PM
I pour whiskey.
haha the ultimate energy drink. True story, I actually played doubles against a guy who brought beer(inside a canteen) to the courts in the morning and drink some every 2 games. Surprisingly it didn't slow him down in fact they actually won.

maverick66
01-18-2010, 08:31 PM
haha the ultimate energy drink. True story, I actually played doubles against a guy who brought beer(inside a canteen) to the courts in the morning and drink some every 2 games. Surprisingly it didn't slow him down in fact they actually won.

I have seen that at a mens open. The guy had a cooler of beer with him and drank it on change overs. He was grinding like crazy running side to side. I kept waiting for him to get sick but it never happened.

As for what i drink. Its a bottle of water and a bottle of accelarade that is weaker than what is recommended. I hate bottled sports drinks as i get bloated and that to much sugar feeling in my stomach.

Tina
01-18-2010, 08:46 PM
How about drinking a cup of black tea without sugar? Does that help?

armsty
01-18-2010, 09:08 PM
I play comp at 8am. So I usually eat my regular 4 weetbix and honey with milk breakfast. at 7:15. Then at 7:30 I'll crack a gatorade and drink about 1/3rd. Fridge it for the match and drink water till im satisfied I've had enough, about 2 glasses before.

Per 30 mins of play I will drink atleast a bottle, usually more.

SystemicAnomaly
01-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Prior to play, I'll drink water and will often also drink OJ (for the potassium). The OJ that I drink is also fortified with calcium and vitamin D. Recently, vit D has been shown to enhance athletic performance. About 15-20 minutes prior to tennis/exercise, I'll often ingest a single oz of 6 Hour Power or 5-Hour Energy. During play, it's mostly water.

jazzyfunkybluesy was probably being facetious about the whiskey but there is something to that. Small amounts of alcohol have been known to contribute to peak performance for many athletes. We are talking about something on the order of a half a drink or less -- half a glass of wine, 4-6 oz of beer, etc. I'll sometimes ingest a few oz of red wine prior to play. A small of amount of alcohol will usually relax the athlete without impairing reaction time or hand-eye coordination. Larger amounts of alcohol will usually be counterproductive -- RT, hand-eye, and decision-making will usually suffer.

mike53
01-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Water or ice water for me. If I was inclined to buy something I would bring a can of lite beer (on ice along with the water) for after.

jmverdugo
01-19-2010, 07:51 AM
^^ that pictures is hilarious, hope they do not delete it.

I drink water before, during and after. When is a morning match 06:00 AM, I have a cup of coffe too but that is just because I love cofffee and other wise I wouldn't make it to the car.

charliefedererer
01-20-2010, 07:25 AM
-As you warm up, the capillary beds in your muscles open up, and your total blood volume should expand slightly to maintain optimum cardiac output when you begin play.
Drinking 8-12 ounces of water or dilute Gatorade 20-30 minutes before play will help achieve this optimum state.

-Frequent sips of 1/2 strength Gatorade or water during play will help maintain an optimal blood volume to keep your cardiovasular system working at its most efficient state.
If you are fluid deficient, your heart can partially compensate by beating faster, but you will not be able to maintain maximum effort as long.

-A dilute Gatorade/Powerade will supply most of the electrolytes you need to replace from sweating, and provide some of the energy your muscles need to continue working. Full strength Gatorade/Powerade (or not alternating with sips of water), juice or soda during a match invites intestinal cramping.

El Diablo
01-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Drinking 8-12 ounces to expand your blood volume will temporarily reduce your hematocrit, and thus reduce your blood's oxygen carrying capacity (this would be the opposite of blood doping). Probably not necessary, as your body can maintain or increase blood flow to muscle capillaries by drawing out blood stored in the spleen, and also by decreasing circulation to the entire GI tract, which it does during significant exercise. Sipping as you go should get the job done.

charliefedererer
01-20-2010, 08:41 PM
^^^The fall in hematocrit would be tiny, and outweighed by the maintenence of optimal left venticular filling to provide maximum cardiovascular efficiency.

"A. The USTA Sport Science Committee has put together fluid replacement guidelines and this information is available on the High Performance website.

In general, you want to:

Top off your fluid stores by drinking 12-16 oz of fluid 1 hour prior to competition.

Drink 4-8 swallows of fluid after your warm-up and on EVERY changeover during play.

Drink 20-24 oz of fluid for every pound of body weight lost during play to replenish the body's fluid stores.

Whether to use water or a sports drink is something you have to determine on your own. The three things you should be replacing during or after play are fluids, energy/ carbohydrates, and electrolytes.

Many sports drinks contain all of these, but you can also obtain these through a combination of drinking water and eating appropriate snacks. Some people have difficulties with sports drinks, so the later suggestion may be for you if drinks like Gatorade or Powerade are hard on your stomach.

Two simple ways you can determine your hydration status are:

1. Monitor the color of your urine. In a well-hydrated person, urine will be very light to clear - the color of straw. Darker, more concentrated urine is an indicator that you are dehydrated.

2. Weigh yourself before and after play. Any weight loss you experience during play is due to fluid loss and that weight should be replaced before the next practice or match. Make sure when weighing yourself, however, that you wear similar DRY clothes, and not the sweaty clothes you came off the court in."
http://www.usta.com/USTA/Global/Improve_Your_Game/Archive/Health_and_Fitness/Diet_and_Nutrition/Drinks_and_Shakes.aspx

timokabo
01-21-2010, 04:05 AM
for me i drink 50 oz of water 2 hrs prior to playing and also have a serving of no-explode about 30 mins prio to playing

Jim A
01-21-2010, 06:54 AM
I'm a lot less picky nowadays, but I usually bring some water and gator/powerade.

I do like Cytomax as well since it empties very easily and no bloating

in the end if you are hydrated properly (and most of us are not) there's a lot less to worry about when you take the ct...(ie.better to sip a couple of oz of water every 15 min throughout the day then to drink 32oz 90 min before since the excess just goes right out)

LuckyR
01-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Any sports drink before (I use homemade Gleukos), water during and chocolate milk afterwards.

mark999
01-21-2010, 09:05 AM
for me i drink 50 oz of water 2 hrs prior to playing and also have a serving of no-explode about 30 mins prio to playing

is there a danger of exploding if you do not drink the no-explode? never knew drinking 50 oz of water was so dangerous!

timokabo
01-21-2010, 01:35 PM
is there a danger of exploding if you do not drink the no-explode? never knew drinking 50 oz of water was so dangerous!

lol that made my day. the no explode is a sports drink/ suplement that helps open up more oxygen and nitrogen absorbson witch helps with limting fatigue and making you last longer on the court

Talker
01-21-2010, 01:44 PM
About an hour before: 2 bags of green tea in 12 oz cup, after 10 minutes of soaking the tea add 1/2 serving of coffee to the cup and a table spoon of sugar. 1 hour later I'm fired up!

During the match just water, I tried gatorade then 1/2 diluted gatorade but didn't care for it.