PDA

View Full Version : Sjeng Schalkens Forehand

tennisfan23
04-25-2005, 02:24 PM
What kind of grip does he use on his forehand?

larrhall
04-25-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm gonna say Western or between semi-Western and Western. I've seen him play in person three times, at least; that's what it looks like to me.

Pushmaster
04-26-2005, 06:07 AM
I havn't seen him play live but yes from tv it looks like a western/semi-western variation.

Andre Agassi has stated that Shalken is the purest ball striker that he's faced.

35ft6
04-26-2005, 07:26 AM
I really enjoy watching Shalken play. It's cool that Agassi said that. Scheng really is a clean ball striker. He's a good guy for all beginners to watch, because his groundstrokes are so simple and textbook.

6-0 6-0
04-26-2005, 08:03 AM
He also is a very flat ball hitter. He uses very little topspin. It is impressive watching from the side of the court to see his shots just barely clearing the net.

TennisD
04-26-2005, 10:02 AM
He's the crappiest player I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Ever.

gugafanatic
04-26-2005, 11:23 AM
He's the crappiest player I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Ever.

Yeah hes serve is a peice of crap, but hes backhand and forehand are soo pure. I saw Roddick beat him at Wimbledon last yr, and if it was not for the big serve Sjeng was dominating the exchanges. Why has he dropped out of the top 20??? he was conistently making quarters at slams during 03/04.

TennisD
04-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah hes serve is a peice of crap, but hes backhand and forehand are soo pure. I saw Roddick beat him at Wimbledon last yr, and if it was not for the big serve Sjeng was dominating the exchanges. Why has he dropped out of the top 20??? he was conistently making quarters at slams during 03/04.
I just saw him in Monte Carlo. Sure, his technique is simple, but other than the backhand, his strokes really suck. I have respect for him though. Even the backhand is stiff as hell and finishes up wrong!

gugafanatic
04-26-2005, 11:29 AM
WHY DOES HE STAND SOO UPRIGHT WHEN HE SERVES?? NO KNEE BEND, NO BACK BEND NO FOLLOW THROUGH. He's groundies are stiff looking, but hes affective on grass because he hits the ball soo flat.

Muse
04-26-2005, 05:09 PM
that serve makes me cry to watch, but I dont understand why you're all down on his groundies, because they've obviousially what carries him so far in tournies. I think his backhand is very smooth, I'd kill to have that shot.

verdasco67
04-26-2005, 05:14 PM
why do you guys think schalken is crap? do you know how hard it is to actually break into the top 100? you have to respect him for that....schalken is a good player and he can be a threat to top players.

Max G.
04-26-2005, 05:26 PM

Injuries/sickness. He had a bout of mononucleosis, I think - he missed a bunch of time, won I think a total of 2 matches post-wimbledon last year. He's just starting to make his comeback, and he's dropped in the rankings a lot because he had a lot of points to defend from early in the year, and he's definitely not back on his game yet. He's starting to get better again, maybe he'll be back in the thick of things this summer. I doubt he'll ever get as high as he did though - his career-high was #11, I think, and I doubt he'll get back up to there. Maybe 20-30.

Pushmaster
04-26-2005, 05:28 PM
Shalken's serve is weak OK, but anybody who knows anything about tennis would agree that he has terrific groundstrokes, they would have to be in order to crack the top 20 with a serve like that.

BTW, it never ceases to amaze me how some people here so matter of factly dis the talent and skills of a world class tennis player such as Shalken. There are definitely a few nutcases on these boards.

Xevoius
04-26-2005, 05:43 PM
I have never heard of this guy. Does anyone have any footage or pics of his amazing strokes?

It sounds like the guy hits the ball really flat.

verdasco67
04-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Shalken's serve is weak OK, but anybody who knows anything about tennis would agree that he has terrific groundstrokes, they would have to be in order to crack the top 20 with a serve like that.

BTW, it never ceases to amaze me how some people here so matter of factly dis the talent and skills of a world class tennis player such as Shalken. There are definitely a few nutcases on these boards.

agree...i dont think people know how hard it is to even crack the top 50