PDA

View Full Version : Effect of spending a year at junior college?

amarone
01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
My son is a young senior (18 in the summer) and has suggested going to junior college for his freshman year and spend that year continuing to train at his current academy. The idea would be to try improve enough to get onto a higher-level college tennis team in 2011 than he could if he left in 2010. He would not play tennis for the junior college - he can spend all the next academic year still playing 18U tournaments.

Are there any pitfalls with this approach? Would coaches look less/more favorably on a player who did this, or does it have no effect in itself?

Would it affect how many years he could subsequently play for a college?

Thanks.

tennismom42
01-18-2010, 03:25 PM
My son is a young senior (18 in the summer) and has suggested going to junior college for his freshman year and spend that year continuing to train at his current academy. The idea would be to try improve enough to get onto a higher-level college tennis team in 2011 than he could if he left in 2010. He would not play tennis for the junior college - he can spend all the next academic year still playing 18U tournaments.

Are there any pitfalls with this approach? Would coaches look less/more favorably on a player who did this, or does it have no effect in itself?

Would it affect how many years he could subsequently play for a college?

Thanks.I think it's an excellent idea with a lot of upside. As he's young, he could continue to play the jr tournaments. (My son just played his last juniors tournament, though he's in college now.) Playing those Jr tournaments should improve his ranking & get him into the viewing by more coaches.

Staying close to home for a first year to get some core academic courses is good also. Just make sure that they'll be transferable. Maybe he'll be able to stay close to home or work. This will also help him to prove his academic abilities to a coach.

As he won't play for the Jr. college, he could transfer into a college as early as January 2011. He could even try for a scholarship. But remember the deadline for signing is early April 2010, if he's going for a scholarship for Jan. 2011. Otherwise, no scholarship, play January 2011. Or, as you said, stay with your plan, aim for Fall 2011 enrollment. He could also play some futures in the meantime or some adult tournaments.

He'll be bummed about not living on a campus, away from you. Just tell him the truth. A lot of HS seniors go to the first year of college and then drop out for a year or a semester, for various reasons.

jgravagna
01-18-2010, 06:24 PM
I agree with tennis mom. However, playing on a solid college program will help him improve faster than playing one more year in the jrs. One more year of jrs will not make that much of a difference because next year you still will be dealing with several factors such as international players.

amarone
01-18-2010, 06:33 PM
I agree with tennis mom. However, playing on a solid college program will help him improve faster than playing one more year in the jrs. One more year of jrs will not make that much of a difference because next year you still will be dealing with several factors such as international players. The thing is, he feels at the moment he will not get into a "solid college program", but a weak one. His idea is to improve at his academy, which he likes a lot and has improved him considerably over the last 18 months (after little improvement at his previous one), so that he can get into a good college program a year later.

amarone
01-18-2010, 06:35 PM
He'll be bummed about not living on a campus, away from you. Just tell him the truth. A lot of HS seniors go to the first year of college and then drop out for a year or a semester, for various reasons. Thanks for the thoughts. On the one quoted, he's already seen his brother go down the go-way - oops-come-back-home path. The junior college thing is his idea, so he won't be too bummed about not going away.

d3tennis
01-18-2010, 06:53 PM
GOOD junior competition is better than bad JUCO. I know that there are a great number of very good JUCO programs, but the vast majority would be a waste of your son's time and eligibility. He can still practice with some of the JUCO kids without being a member of the team. However, once he steps on the court in an official capacity, then he is on the clock for his eligibility.

amarone
01-19-2010, 03:56 AM
GOOD junior competition is better than bad JUCO. I know that there are a great number of very good JUCO programs, but the vast majority would be a waste of your son's time and eligibility. He can still practice with some of the JUCO kids without being a member of the team. However, once he steps on the court in an official capacity, then he is on the clock for his eligibility.
He wouldn't go anywhere near the junior college team. The whole purpose of going to the junior college would be so he can stay at home and continue going to his good tennis academy.

duusoo
01-19-2010, 04:48 AM
In defense of JUCO, lets put some reality here, Tyler of Lorado, JC, both in Texas are more competitive than about 1/2 of the D1 programs. In no way would many of the D1 players at programs like Valporaiso, UW Green Bay, UW Milwaukee even be on the roster here.

amarone
01-19-2010, 05:27 AM
In defense of JUCO, lets put some reality here, Tyler of Lorado, JC, both in Texas are more competitive than about 1/2 of the D1 programs. In no way would many of the D1 players at programs like Valporaiso, UW Green Bay, UW Milwaukee even be on the roster here.I know they can be good, but the one he would go to is not. Last year was the first year of the program and one of their players did not even make my son's high school JV team.

duusoo
01-19-2010, 06:14 AM
The programs I'm talking about are very good! I just wanted to clear up a general statement. Valporaiso isn't Ohio State!

tacoben
01-19-2010, 06:32 AM
This is a good thread. By the time my daughter graduates from high school (which is a few years down the road), she'll be 16.5 to 17 years of age, a year younger than most of her peers, so this option would be a good one for her as well. I remember when I went to junior college, I did not take a full load the first year, just sort of slowy immersing myself to the college environment and working primarily at the same time. If I were the OP's son, I would maybe take 3-4 classes only, not any more than he can handle, the flexible schedule (unlike a full load requirement during freshmen year at most UNI/Colleges) will allow him to put more practice time during the days....which will no doubt improve his play...and with another year of tournaments can only improve his rankings.

One question however, if the kid is on Tennis Recruiting, how will it impact that? Anyone know?

tennismom42
01-19-2010, 06:44 AM
This is a good thread. By the time my daughter graduates from high school (which is a few years down the road), she'll be 16.5 to 17 years of age, a year younger than most of her peers, so this option is would be a good one for her as well. I remember when I went to junior college, I did not take a full load the first year, just sort of slowy immersing myself to the college environment and working primarily at the same time. If I were the OP's son, I would maybe take 3-4 classes only, not any more than he can handle, the flexible schedule (unlike a full load requirement during freshmen year at most UNI/Colleges) will allow him to put more practice time during the days....which will no doubt improve his play...and with another year of tournaments can only improve his rankings.

One question however, if the kid is on Tennis Recruiting, how will it impact that? Anyone know?You have to be very, very careful about PT vs. FT in college, for tax purposes. The calendar year that a child graduates from HS + goes to a semester of college, the child is considered FT for tax purposes and parent can still claim the child on their taxes regardless of where the child lives. So that semester of college the kid can take <12 credit hours. Otherwise, the kid needs to be > 1/2 time student or FT student (>5 months) during the calendar year. The parent may keep claiming the kid on their taxes while the kid is in college. Too many parents make this mistake and miss out on the HOPE credit that helps keep the kid in college.

So be very careful with light load years.
Also, if the kid wants to do a military (non-commitment) camp during the summers to earn $3K, they require the student was FT leading up to it.

tacoben
01-19-2010, 07:24 AM
^^^^Thanks for the information. Lots of good advice being shared.

One other upside to going to a JC first year is the fact that it will likely be less hectic compared to a big UNI/College. I recall some of my batchmates from high school complain about the large size of classes during freshmen year, where classes exceeded 70 plus students and you had to watch the teacher from an overhead monitor, whereas in JC, less students with better student teacher ratios.

tennismom42
01-19-2010, 07:47 AM
^^^^Thanks for the information. Lots of good advice being shared.

One other upside to going to a JC first year is the fact that it will likely be less hectic compared to a big UNI/College. I recall some of my batchmates from high school complain about the large size of classes during freshmen year, where classes exceeded 70 plus students and you had to watch the teacher from an overhead monitor, whereas in JC, less students with better student teacher ratios.70? are you kidding? Some of my classes had 400! That class met 1x per week. Then we met 2x week in 50 or less. Definitely JC classes have to be smaller

jefferson
01-19-2010, 07:54 AM
I have a buddy who is staying home to go to a local SUNY (State University Of NY) college. NOt playing on the team, but still training and playing tourneys. All over. He went to charlotte area, going to texas among others. The problem he is having is missing class to attend the tournaments. He would rather play the tourney and miss class. He unfortunately is wasting his money at college because he not going to class.

amarone
01-19-2010, 11:01 AM
One question however, if the kid is on Tennis Recruiting, how will it impact that? Anyone know?
That is a good question - he is on TR - in the 500s on the National Recruiting List. I would like to be able to keep him on if possible.

amarone
01-19-2010, 11:03 AM
You have to be very, very careful about PT vs. FT in college, for tax purposes. The calendar year that a child graduates from HS + goes to a semester of college, the child is considered FT for tax purposes and parent can still claim the child on their taxes regardless of where the child lives. So that semester of college the kid can take <12 credit hours. Otherwise, the kid needs to be > 1/2 time student or FT student (>5 months) during the calendar year. The parent may keep claiming the kid on their taxes while the kid is in college. (That is if the kid was student & made less than approx $4K during the calendar year.) Too many parents make this mistake and miss out on the HOPE credit that helps keep the kid in college.

So be very careful with light load years.

Good points, and it is not only taxes; in many states he needs to be classed as FT to be able to continue as a dependent on a parent's health insurance.

d3tennis
01-19-2010, 07:06 PM
In defense of JUCO, lets put some reality here, Tyler of Lorado, JC, both in Texas are more competitive than about 1/2 of the D1 programs. In no way would many of the D1 players at programs like Valporaiso, UW Green Bay, UW Milwaukee even be on the roster here.

Yes, HOWEVER, the majority of JUCO ball is a joke. Laredo, CCCC and Tyler are historically fantastic programs - but how many other juco's in Texas have teams? LOTS! How many are top tier? Not many :)

Some other RANKED jucos - Itawamba, UA Fort Smith, Hinds, Copiah Lincoln, Marion, Central Alabama are JOKES.

California has really good juco tennis. They are a different system though.

N23
01-19-2010, 09:06 PM
I played two years here at the JUCO level in Sacramento. Some of our competition in the league were average at best with the top #1 or #2 being great. One advantage we had was that we played against some of the better Bay Area (San Francisco) juco's at the time, SFCC, Foothill, DVC, NVC, ARC and all (1 through 6) were top kick competition.

That's just my opinion though.

duusoo
01-20-2010, 04:12 AM
Yes, HOWEVER, the majority of JUCO ball is a joke. Laredo, CCCC and Tyler are historically fantastic programs - but how many other juco's in Texas have teams? LOTS! How many are top tier? Not many :)

Some other RANKED jucos - Itawamba, UA Fort Smith, Hinds, Copiah Lincoln, Marion, Central Alabama are JOKES.

California has really good juco tennis. They are a different system though.Three years ago I was in Tyler, and watched a practice. They had kids from all over the US and many foreign countries. There were kids on the Red Shirt/Development squad who would be mid to upper roster on many D1 programs. I simply couldn't believe the talent the talent they had.

ClarkC
01-20-2010, 10:33 AM
That is a good question - he is on TR - in the 500s on the National Recruiting List. I would like to be able to keep him on if possible.

As he will still be 18 and under, you can just change his graduation year to reflect the new year in which he will actually enter a 4-year college, keep playing tournaments, and TRN will pick up his tourney results just fine.

momtogrif
01-26-2010, 06:27 AM
As he will still be 18 and under, you can just change his graduation year to reflect the new year in which he will actually enter a 4-year college, keep playing tournaments, and TRN will pick up his tourney results just fine.

This is good to know! I have a feeling that my son will end up doing a year of junior college yet, I know he wants to play college tennis at some point. He is not a very studious kid and not very motivated to get school stuff accomplished. If this doesn't change as he enters his high school years I'll probably start looking into the option of junior college!