PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Multi / Poly vs Poly / Multi

JackB1
01-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Hey guys, I am currently using a multi/poly hybrid in my Rebel 95, strung at 54. Problem is I am getting a little too much power and trampoline effect. I sometimes get a little elbow pain after playing, but so far this setup hasn't bothered me. I know if I switch the hybrid around and put the poly in the mains, it will deaden the power, but I am worried about the effects on my elbow. Do you think that poly/multi will hurt my arm more than multi/poly? I would think it wouldn't. BTW, I am using Prince EXP Poly 18 & Prince Priemier LT 17.

thanks

dman72
01-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Hey guys, I am currently using a multi/poly hybrid in my Rebel 95, strung at 54. Problem is I am getting a little too much power and trampoline effect. I sometimes get a little elbow pain after playing, but so far this setup hasn't bothered me. I know if I switch the hybrid around and put the poly in the mains, it will deaden the power, but I am worried about the effects on my elbow. Do you think that poly/multi will hurt my arm more than multi/poly? I would think it wouldn't. BTW, I am using Prince EXP Poly 18 & Prince Priemier LT 17.

thanks

Try going with all poly and lowering tension by 5 lbs.

Power Player
01-19-2010, 08:53 AM
It won't make a huge difference to be honest. You could string the multi tighter at 57 and the poly at 54.

If you want less power, you could go full poly at a low tension and see how it feels. Try 52#s.

If I was you, I would go full multi. It is an 18x20 and the multi will last you a while. You could then string at 57#s and be all set. Your arm will be fine and the power will be controllable.

I have a friend who is a 4-4.5 and he strings the Rebel with NXT at 54#s and loves it. Maybe you could go a little tighter and see how it works out.

bsandy
01-19-2010, 05:10 PM
I guess would ask why are you hybriding and why did you put the multi in the mains in the first place ?

tennisINmyBLOOD
01-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Main strings are responsible for the feel of the racket. Poly in the mains will have a little less comfort than multi in the mains, so be prepared for that if you change the set up.

I have a history of arm problems and have been using full multis for a while now. This week I will be stringing MSV Focus Hex 1.18 on the mains at 53 lbs and Tecnifibre Multifeel 17 on the crosses at 55. Strings will be put on Dunlop AG 4D 300 Tour (18x20 pattern, 98 sq. inch head).

I would suggest poly in the mains at a lower tension, and multi on the crosses strung 2 pounds higher than the mains. This should tame the power and shouldn't be too damaging on your arm.

I've tried full poly at low tensions... doesn't damage my arm and still lots of control. Played with it on a Head Flexpoint 10 (very powerful racket!).. not sure what poly it was, but it was quite thin and the owner of this racket (my friend) told me he strung it on the low end of the tension spectrum. I took huge cuts at the ball, and still the ball landed just inside. Use a thinner gauge (17 or 17L) for more comfort.

JackB1
01-21-2010, 06:53 AM
I guess would ask why are you hybriding and why did you put the multi in the mains in the first place ?

I put the multi in the mains because my TE is still a little sensitive and I wanted a little less power than a full multi would give me.

And I am hybriding because I got a good deal on a bunch of the Prince Hybrid "spin" packs :) I also love how the optic yellow multi looks on the Rebel!

sidenote: I think I may have been wrong in thinking I had too much power initially. Some of my baseline shots were sailing long, but I think it's more of a technique issue and getting used to the 18x20 pattern. I played yesterday and had no issues with balls going long. Sometimes its easy to blame balls going long on the strings :)