PDA

View Full Version : Open tournament players

Matt H.
01-19-2010, 09:11 AM
I put my foot in the water last year by entering a men's open tournament during the summer just to see where I stood. I went in with low expectations of just not getting double bageled, and I came out ok.

For 2010 I was thinking of putting together a mini schedule and try a handful of tournaments, maybe win a round and establish a year end ranking of some kind.

I wanted to get some insight/stories/experiences from other open players.

How many tournaments a year? Farthest away you travel to play? Perhaps an estimated yearly cost with the tournament entry fees and equipment you go through?

LeeD
01-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Totally depends where you live and how far you want to drive.
Here in SanFrancisco area in the old dayz, at least 6 Open Tourneys within 20 miles driving distance, and once a year, the TransAmPro, which I entered the Q's, hoping for an opening in the draw.
Then I flew down to LA for a couple Open's and Q's, but didn't get into the Q's because they were full up and I was worst than 3rd alternate.
Didn't bother to go East (Sacramento) because it's too hot in the summer, and couldn't afford to go to Seattle/Portland because I didn't know anyone I could crash at.....

T1000
01-19-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm 17 and have tried two. First one I lost 0 and 2 to a future level player. I had chances to break out and win the third but couldn't. He had a huge serve and forehand. I thought it was a good experience, it showed me that I could compete with those players. Second one I lost 1 and 3 to a player a little worse that the first one, but I was injured and couldn't play my best in that one. Both were about an hour away from me but there are no tournaments in the winter in southern CT. I'm going to try to play at least 10 opens this year before college starts. Definitely try them, they are a good experience.

TW Staff
01-19-2010, 04:09 PM
I've mainly entered in mixed dubs because usually singles entry fee has gotten up over $40. In singles I'm usually certain that I'll make it past 1st round so I know I'll play at least 2 matches for $30+ dollars. Haha. Mixed is usually single elimination so $25+ isn't too bad and I'm more confident if I have a strong partner.

I entered in a few local tourneys and traveled to places where I could visit friends. The farthest I've traveled was 4 hrs to La Habra, but I've never had the urge to travel to a tourney in which I needed to rent a hotel room.

As for the tournaments I've entered, it seems in mixed there's more chances of knocking out a seed than in singles since anything can go depending on how strong the man is. My partner and I have been seeded 1 in La Habra and was knocked out, while I've had a weaker partner in Palos Verdes, but knocked out the 1 seed and got to the finals with him. The prize money was just enough for gas and food, that's when the tourneys feel "rewarding." For singles, the women's draws are smaller so you end up meeting a seed in the 2nd in which I've lost to in the last 2 tourneys I've entered singles in. I've seen my guy friends win tourneys easily up in their NorCal section, but when they come down south they donn't make it past the quarters.

It truly depends which area and how popular the tourney is. You can get a good idea by searching for their last years draw which is what I usually do. This year I've marked tourneys where my friends live so it wouldn't just be an expensive tennis trip. Then again the amount of tourneys I play coincides with how well my shoulder feels. Nevertheless, I still have the quality time of visiting friends while playing great tennis!

- Kana, TW -

35ft6
01-20-2010, 12:58 AM
I put my foot in the water last year by entering a men's open tournament during the summer just to see where I stood. I went in with low expectations of just not getting double bageled, and I came out ok. What do you mean by okay? How did you do and against players with what kind of ranking?

Matt H.
01-20-2010, 07:19 AM
I lost 6-4 7-5.

I lost the first 4 games pretty quickly, got a hold of the pace/tempo of that level of match, and actually had momentum going into the second set.

I broke to go up 4-2 in the second, but couldn't hold on.

He was an out of town'er that played Open's all over the state of FL. His record was about .500. He had won a round or two consistently.