PDA

View Full Version : Poly is tough...

OHBH
01-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Last night was my first time stringing with poly. I strung it as a hybrid just to try it out. I have a KPS88 so it is a fairly dense pattern so it makes weaving poly difficult. I used Technifibre NRG2 18g at 62 lbs in the mains and Luxilon Big Banger Ace at 58 lbs in the crosses. I used a 50/50 stringing pattern to minimize the stress on the frame and having to pull the whole length of string through each weave. My main problem was tying the finishing knots. the stuff is too stiff to cinch up like a regular string, it just kinks into place. What tips do you have for me to make this type of job go more smoothly when i put this setup in my backup stick?

StaCruz10S
01-19-2010, 09:50 AM
I string with the big banger line, too. Knots--1st knot under then over then down thru--get this knot going by hand as tight and as close to the grommet as possible before yanking with pliers first away & down from grommet then toward & down (doing this sequence just once). 2nd knot over then down thru yanking down toward the grommet only (again, once only). Also, I usually set the stringer 5 lbs higher for the last string before the knots to try to make up for lost tension at the end.

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Thats why most people start at the top of the racquet (head) for the crosses on a 2 piece job with a starting knot or clamp.

Yu Little was nice enough to post videos of different stringing methods, knots, all kinds of good tips a stringer should know.

He is also a poster on these boards.:)