PDA

View Full Version : lowest string tension??

monkeyisland90
01-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Forgive me for keep repeating myself but i'm in the quest to find the right tension. I use a full western grip and having low tension works wonders for me since western grip produces so much spin i need more power and it will still go in because of the topspin... I think however my string machine is the culprit because few times i would string it same tension and feels just right.. while other times it would feel really tight.... Or, I'm thinking i'm the culprit that isn't doing it correctly... I pretty much pull both strings at a time, clamp, then repeat... to save time... I break strings after two matches, and try to play 3-4 times a week so try to speed up the process.. (usually take 22 minutes to do this method while 45 minutes for single pull... i know tension gets probally lost pulling two strings at time but since i like low tension anyways i don't think it matters...)... Anyways, so my question is... what's the lowest tension that i can go with synthetic gut? (i know poly can go really low since it seems much higher)... and what happens if i keep going lower on tension???

I wanted to experiment on very low tension.. and i did 40lb on synthetic gut and before playing with it I expected to get lot of power and be like a rubber band but it actually kept hitting the net and felt stiff......totally different then what i expected... (i had a professional stringer do this so it is 40lb.)

Sometimes when i would string my own racquet, I notice that it's really lose because when i hit the balll the string pattern are all shifted and people look at and there like wtf? (what the freak) but I've been able to hit well with it as it has a comfortable hitting with my western grip and has lot of pop to it... So if my 40lb tension is feeling stiff ... then what i'm just describing just now... is this like 30lbs or something since it's shifting etc... I think i'm the only person in the world that is feeling comfortable with this odd stringing tension... but seems to be working for me at 4.0 level and i do NOT push the ball.....

monkeyisland90
01-19-2010, 11:40 AM
i guess what i'm trying to get is the best possible trampoline or rubberband effect... what usually happens when tension keeps getting lower and lower...? Do balls just spray everywhere?

monkeyisland90
01-19-2010, 11:52 AM
I guess I'm not too crazy i found this site that states Michael Chang's brother had tension at 31lbs... which is ridiculous but i think that's something that's in my area of tension too... 31lbs is geared towards squash racquets but this is the trampoline effect that i need to get in order to work...

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
45lbs + ALU Power + Gamma Big Bubba 29 =

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3