PDA

View Full Version : Tension for VS GUT

psb1nxt7
01-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm trying a full bed of gut after using champion's choice... Just to give it a go and see how long it lasts. In the hybrid I strung it at 58 or 60... What should I do in a full bed ?? Up it to 63 ??

JoelDali
01-19-2010, 05:48 PM
63 sounds like a good tension for full gut in that stick.

I'm sure others will say 55 or lower as well.

Personally, I've been experimenting with guy lately and am finding tighter the better.

psb1nxt7
01-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Ok thanks for your response... I'll go with 63

psb1nxt7
01-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Is it ok to string it all at the same tension ?? or should I do the mains and crosses at differnt tensions ??

JoelDali
01-19-2010, 06:08 PM
What are you trying to achieve?

If as you say this is just an expensive test with a full bed of gut to see how long it lasts, then string mains and crosses the same.

Theres no need to switch up tension for a full bed of gut in my opinion and my opinion means absolutely nothing.

LPShanet
01-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Is it ok to string it all at the same tension ?? or should I do the mains and crosses at differnt tensions ??

Not only is it okay, it's preferable, unless the manufacturer of the frame specifically suggests otherwise (Yonex sometimes does). Many people overestimate the benefits of differential tension, which have never been proven. In fact, most studies show that the only thing that really matters is the final stringbed stiffness, and that even considerable differences between X's and M's don't really affect outcome.