PDA

View Full Version : Dead arm?

EPaps
01-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Hey everyone, when I was at my local Tennis Center yesterday, I was invited to hit with another very good player before it was my time to go on court. I had to swing very hard on each shot to keep up with him, all with out any sort of warm-up or stretching. About 10 minutes after hitting with him, my entire arm was sore. Not just the elbow, but the entire arm. It was a similar feeling to when I used to throw too many pitches in Little League back in the day. I literally had to stop playing it was so bad.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? Even a day after, the arm is still sore. Thoughts? Much appreciated.

SystemicAnomaly
01-19-2010, 10:58 PM
What racket were you using? If it is something that weighs less than 10.5 oz (or if it has a low swingweight), that might be one of the major factors. You don't need to stretch (in fact, you should not perform static stretches prior to play), but it is always a good idea to warm up before hitting all out.

It could also be that you try to generate too much of your power with your arm rather than using a kinetic chain -- power should start with the legs (knees bent), then a hip rotation, followed closely with a torso rotation before the arm accelerates the racket forward.

TennisNinja
01-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Moral of the story: warm up.

EPaps
01-20-2010, 06:09 AM
What racket were you using? If it is something that weighs less than 10.5 oz (or if it has a low swingweight), that might be one of the major factors. You don't need to stretch (in fact, you should not perform static stretches prior to play), but it is always a good idea to warm up before hitting all out.

It could also be that you try to generate too much of your power with your arm rather than using a kinetic chain -- power should start with the legs (knees bent), then a hip rotation, followed closely with a torso rotation before the arm accelerates the racket forward.

Thanks for the reply. I think you are actually right, but I use the K90 which is a relatively heavy racquet, and I think I was "arming" a lot of balls early on. I was hitting a lot of shots off-balance and falling backwards which probably lead to a lot of the soreness while "arming" with a heavy racquet. Thanks for your input.