PDA

View Full Version : Roddick quietly having a nice season so far??

VictorS.
04-25-2005, 08:19 PM
A lot has been made of Roddick's failure to get over the hump against the likes of Federer and Hewitt over the past few seasons. This year he's had two tough losses against Hewitt in the semis of both the australian open and Indian Wells. However, despite those two losses Roddick already has two atp titles to his name this year and probably would've won Memphis had he not been forced to retire. What do you guys think? Can Roddick contend for a grand slam this yr? Can he give federer another scare at wimbeldon this yr...or is it too late?

Jill
04-25-2005, 08:37 PM
If it's "too late" at 22... then he might as well retire now :)

Yea, not a bad season. Doesn't really matter, though, if you don't win Masters and Slam titles.

VictorS.
04-25-2005, 08:39 PM
But his results have been solid in the big tournaments. Obviously retiring in Miami was disappointing but making the semis at Melbourne and Indian Wells is not too shabby. He's still in the mix in the big tourneys. I think he's due for a big win.

Jill
04-25-2005, 08:49 PM
I agree, he's made the SF or won every tourney he played in, except miami where he got injured. And I agree that he would have won Memphis, I think he definitely would have won memphis.

And I agree that he is due for a big win. I do think he can contend at both Wimby, and obviously at the USO. He has a mental block in big matches, however. And until he can get over that, he won't win another big title. He has won very really big tough matches since he won the US Open, nor has he won a 5-setter, which is just plain bad.

But right now it's the clay season and it will be tough for him. However he is fitter, and more impotantly, happier and more excited to be playing on clay and going to Europe than he seemingly ever has been. I think if he can get a good run at one or two of the clay tourneys that it might help him over the confidence hump on other surfaces.

Time will reveal all!

nkhera1
04-25-2005, 11:02 PM
I agree, he's made the SF or won every tourney he played in, except miami where he got injured. And I agree that he would have won Memphis, I think he definitely would have won memphis.

And I agree that he is due for a big win. I do think he can contend at both Wimby, and obviously at the USO. He has a mental block in big matches, however. And until he can get over that, he won't win another big title. He has won very really big tough matches since he won the US Open, nor has he won a 5-setter, which is just plain bad.

But right now it's the clay season and it will be tough for him. However he is fitter, and more impotantly, happier and more excited to be playing on clay and going to Europe than he seemingly ever has been. I think if he can get a good run at one or two of the clay tourneys that it might help him over the confidence hump on other surfaces.

Time will reveal all!

He seems to be moving better, but he has to get over his mental block especially in 5 setters. The U.S. Open is his best chance because he can feed off the crowd something he can't do in Europe which is why he plays his best in America.

devila
04-25-2005, 11:55 PM
No, he had no intention to prepare well in Toronto, Cincinnati, Indian Wells and the US Open He was behaving like he was a nobody, so he disrespected himself.
The crowd didn't do anything, positive or negative.
He thinks that Houston favored him, but between 2003-4, he wasn't helping himself in any way at the Masters Cup and Houston clay. There were horrible efforts in the semifinals and finals.

He was a little more successful 2 years ago, but he wasn't taking tennis seriously.
He had no improvements until the last few weeks.

He did ok in Austria and England. The crowd didn't affect him.

The crowd was against him in Thailand. Considering that he was in bad shape, he did ok.

SydW
04-26-2005, 02:23 AM
I can't see how he can do any worse than he did last year in European clay. We shouldn't forget that he gave both Moya and Nadal a good run in Davic Cup final proabably on the surface which is least favourable to him only few months ago.

It's all in his mind and he should take these clay masters seriously. He proabably can't win a title on the European clay at the moment, but he should be able to go far in them.

Jack Romeo
04-26-2005, 04:07 AM
For someone who has been to number 1, won a US Open and experienced dominating the tour for a short while (I'm referring only to his 2003 summer hardcourt record), reaching the semis won't be satisfying. Yes, they are solid results, but they're a step down from what he used to achieve. Roddick will always be a solid top 10 player because of his power game and the fact that he competes in a lot of tournaments. But now he's no more than the 4th or 5th best player. Instead of becoming the main pursuer of Roger Federer, he's fallen behind Hewitt, Nadal and Safin. It's good that he hasn't let those disappointing losses in Australia and IW affect his confidence too much. Some players slide down rapidly after losses like that. But Andy needs to make sure that he remains in the mix as a contender every tournament he plays.

barry
04-26-2005, 05:35 AM
He does pretty well as long as he is playing players ranked 20 to 200. Once he gets in the top 20, he loses most of the time. Competition to strong for his game.He needs a lot of help in the draw to make it to the Semi's.

gugafanatic
04-26-2005, 05:58 AM
I think A.ROD will have an improved clay season, and will be a serious contender at Wimbledon. He seems to improve on grass every year, and hes backhand is alot better then it was last year. I think Roddick will surprise some people at the FO, hes got nothing to lose and is going into the Masters full of confidence. I would diagree that Safin, Hewitt and Nadal have supassed A.ROD. Roddick is way better then Safin,Hewitt and Nadal except clay. You feel he has the weapons to dominate mens tennis considering hes explosive game. No player on the mens tour can win as many cheap points as Roddick.

rhubarb
04-26-2005, 06:11 AM
I think A.ROD will have an improved clay season, and will be a serious contender at Wimbledon.

Not too difficult. He's already gained more points on clay (Houston, 175) this year than in the whole of 2004 on the red stuff (Houston 120, Rome 5, Roland Garros 35).

Noelle
04-26-2005, 08:18 AM
I noticed during the Tennis Channel's coverage of Houston that the commentators kept noting Andy's better speed and footwork on the clay. Although his season so far probably doesn't look too impressive given the person he's being compared to (Federer, who's won several tournaments already), Roddick seems to be preparing himself well for the Slams, doing well in the tournaments he's participated in at full health.

It's early in the year yet, so we shouldn't count Roddick out as a major contender in the Slams. I agree that Hewitt may be a mental block that he has to overcome, stemming from the fact that Hewitt has dominated Andy ever since he debuted on the pro tour. Roddick just might also be guilty of peeping too far ahead at the draw and may place too much pressure on himself. If he had beaten Hewitt both times (AO and the Pacific Life Open), he might have thought he'd be facing Federer in the final. Just speculation on my part though.

(On a side note, it's funny how topics about Roddick always bring out the trolls. You two know who you are.)

35ft6
04-26-2005, 08:37 AM
He was playing borderline out of his mind against Grosjean in the finals, but, still, gotta give the kid credit. He looked good.

He gets a lot of heat on the boards but you can't take away from the fact that Andy takes tennis very seriously. He's one of the most professional pros out there. He's very up front about wanting to improve and I have no doubt he's working his tail off to plug the holes in his game.

So with that said, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he won the US Open this year, or sometime soon. On one hand, he's "one-dimensional." On the other hand, it's scary how much room this former number 1 has to improve. If he can improve his backhand and net game even just a little bit...

barry
04-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Grosjean rankings has slipped to 45, can't say this was a big win for Andy, just another easy draw.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/46

rhubarb
04-26-2005, 09:01 AM
Grosjean rankings has slipped to 45, can't say this was a big win for Andy, just another easy draw.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/46

I really wish Yahoo wouldn't use the race. It's not the rankings, even if the ATP have deluded them into thinking that. Grosjean has hardly been outside the top 30. Currently he's 28th.

But I take your point that he's not at his best.

federerhoogenbandfan
04-26-2005, 09:34 AM
I would diagree that Safin, Hewitt and Nadal have supassed A.ROD. Roddick is way better then Safin,Hewitt and Nadal except clay. You feel he has the weapons to dominate mens tennis considering hes explosive game. No player on the mens tour can win as many cheap points as Roddick.

Really, that is why Hewitt has reached the U.S open finals, year-end Masters finals, Australian Open finals, and Pacific Life Open finals, while Roddick has not been to the finals of a Grand Slam or Masters event since Wimbledon of last year. As for Nadal he came closer to beating Federer in the Nasdaq final than Roddick has since Wimbledon last year. Safin won the Australian Open, and won two Masters Series finals indoors last year. Federer, Hewitt, Safin, and Nadal are all superior to Roddick at the moment, on most surfaces.

WW Volley
04-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Roddick will be right back in the mix when the grass and hardcourt seasons start. There's always a great chance he'll get to at least the semis at Wimby, and we know how he can dominate the US hardcourt series.

Quite frankly, all Roddick has to do is "survive" the clay season and he'll be just fine.

federerhoogenbandfan
04-26-2005, 09:36 AM
I agree Roddick is having a decent season so far. Those that know the sport understand he needs a break or two to win a big event. He has not gotten that break and he might not get it this year, but if the draw opens up he might sneak in to do so. Federer will probably win Wimbedon and the U.S open though, so he probably wont win a slam this year. His best chance was at the Australian Open with Fed being upset, Safin having a mental deficit losing two close matches to Roddick late last year, and Hewitt worn out from all his long matches. He could not take advantage though, and he probably wont get another chance that good this year.

He is reaching semis and quarters most of the time in non-clay events which is good for him. On clay expect him to lose in the first three rounds in Europe, but that is fine, he shouldnt be expected to do well on clay, he isnt a clay courter.

Noelle
04-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Quite frankly, all Roddick has to do is "survive" the clay season and he'll be just fine.
I have a very strong feeling he doesn't want merely to survive the clay season. He might just want to win the French... you never know! ;)

(That would be a real shocker, though.)

federerhoogenbandfan
04-26-2005, 09:54 AM
ROTFL!!!! Andy Roddick has about as good a chance of winning the French; as Monica Seles does coming back cold turkey and winning her first Wimbledon still 30 pounds overweight.

SydW
04-26-2005, 09:10 PM
As for Nadal he came closer to beating Federer in the Nasdaq final than Roddick has since Wimbledon last year. Safin won the Australian Open, and won two Masters Series finals indoors last year. Federer, Hewitt, Safin, and Nadal are all superior to Roddick at the moment, on most surfaces.

On most surface? How so? Federer, Hewitt perharps even though Roddick did beat Hewitt on grass last year in Queens. Safin? The last time he beat Roddick was AO 2004 and he lost about 3 times to Andy since. We can continue to say Safin is a a far better player than Roddick but the fact is Roddick had his number for the past year. Nadal? The one Andy bagelled in USO? I will be surprised if Andy loses to both Safin or Nadal on grass.

I'm inclined to think that Roddick will have better time with Nadal on hardcourt than Federer to Nadal but we'll see.