PDA

View Full Version : First Tourney of 2010!

SlapShot
01-20-2010, 09:24 AM
I feel like I'm going to explode from the excitement - I didn't play enough tournaments last year, so I'm going to atone for that this year.

I know probably 3/4 of the draw for this tourney, and I'm excited to get out and play some matches.

Bold prediction - if I'm playing well, I'll make it to at least the semis. :)

Sumo
01-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I've got mine this weekend too and feeling the same way.
I haven't played a tourney in about 13yrs.
Round robin, so I know I'll be playing on Sunday.

SlapShot
01-20-2010, 09:42 AM
We ended up with a 25 person field, so it's 5 matches to the trophy. A friend of mine is the 2 seed, and if we both win, we'll end up playing in the 3rd round. I'm excited for that if it happens. We'll probably go out drinking after that regardless. :)

darrinbaker00
01-20-2010, 04:29 PM
I feel like I'm going to explode from the excitement - I didn't play enough tournaments last year, so I'm going to atone for that this year.

I know probably 3/4 of the draw for this tourney, and I'm excited to get out and play some matches.

What level do you play, SlapShot? I'm supposed to play my first tournament of the year this weekend (I'm a 3.5M, but I entered the 4.0 draw), but the weather has been so bad here in the Bay Area all week, we may have to wait until next weekend.

SuperDuy
01-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Yeah heard it was bad in cali, atleast u dont got 2 feet of snow

SlapShot
01-20-2010, 05:41 PM
What level do you play, SlapShot? I'm supposed to play my first tournament of the year this weekend (I'm a 3.5M, but I entered the 4.0 draw), but the weather has been so bad here in the Bay Area all week, we may have to wait until next weekend.

Playing 4.0 - the draw is about 1/4 3.5 or freshly bumped 4.0 players.

darrinbaker00
01-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Playing 4.0 - the draw is about 1/4 3.5 or freshly bumped 4.0 players.
Good luck, my friend. :cool:

SlapShot
01-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Thank you sir - just strung up a fresh frame, and I'm taking Friday off to hit for an hour prior to my first match.

I'm going in prepared for this one. :)

Blade0324
01-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Good luck Slapshot. My first one here in CO is not until Feb. 5. At least I have a bit of time to practice for it.

SlapShot
01-21-2010, 10:44 AM
....and got the call that my first round opponent had to withdraw from illness. Now I have to wait until Saturday morning to play.

I hate winter - I would be on the courts all night Friday night if I had a place to play.

SlapShot
01-22-2010, 07:30 AM
....and got the call that my first round opponent had to withdraw from illness. Now I have to wait until Saturday morning to play.

I hate winter - I would be on the courts all night Friday night if I had a place to play.

Update - the TD called and asked if it was OK to have a sub play. Turns out that it's a guy that I used to hit with quite a bit, and he's a good pusher. So I said "heck yes" and now I get to play tonight. :)

darrinbaker00
01-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Update - the TD called and asked if it was OK to have a sub play. Turns out that it's a guy that I used to hit with quite a bit, and he's a good pusher. So I said "heck yes" and now I get to play tonight. :)
I hope you have better luck than I did this afternoon. I lost 2-6, 2-6. :cry:

10ACE
01-23-2010, 05:54 PM

AWESOME! My first tourney is Feb5 weekend. My last one Nov- I had a 5:30pm match but due to the field etc- I didn't get on the court until 8:45pm got off around 10:30! I hate waiting around// GOOD LUCK

SlapShot
01-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Well, won the first match pretty handily 6-1, 6-3. Second round ended up with a walkover due to injury. Third match was a heartbreaker. Was broken at 4-5 in the first, broke back on the first game of the second set, and we both held until I was serving for set at 5-4. Was broken, then we held out to take it to a breaker. Fell behind 0-5, came back to 4-6, but ended up losing.

I was simply struggling with my feet today - my serve was on, and bought me a lot of free points, but off of the ground, I couldn't generate anything offensive.

Sumo
01-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Sucks about the 2nd round there Slappy.

I've got a final tomorrow morning.
Had a 1st round no show. 2nd round, I played a guy who got royally screwed by the ratings bump. 53yr old who has only been playing for 3yrs and had some good doubles results. He was a low 3.5 max.

I'm just getting back into the game, and because of my game is coming back so quickly I don't know where I belong ratings wise. But from what I've seen, I might be in the weakest 4.0 draw ever.

tykrum
01-23-2010, 09:40 PM
You shouldn't have jinxed yourself by saying you were going to beat your third rounder! I may have mentioned something about that to him on Thursday. I'm trying to figure out why I didn't play this weekend actually.

SlapShot
01-23-2010, 11:10 PM
You shouldn't have jinxed yourself by saying you were going to beat your third rounder! I may have mentioned something about that to him on Thursday. I'm trying to figure out why I didn't play this weekend actually.

B was serving well, but he also didn't give me a lick of pace today. I was actually pretty upset at myself for not being able to finish points - I had plenty of openings.

Spent 90 minutes on the court tonight hitting groundstroke after groundstroke - I always hit these lulls in the winter when I can't hit a groove.