PDA

View Full Version : Someone compare Wilson ROK to Wilson 6.0 95?

Dopke
04-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Was wondering how these two differed. I have only played with the ROK, so a comparison of the 6.0 95 to the ROK would be great. Specifically how is the feel of each racquet, and if the racquets are similar on the style of stroke you use. For the ROK I found that with a flatter stroke I could get more depth and control and consistency. Is it the same with the 6.0 95 or does that play better with a loopy more topspin stroke?

BreakPoint
04-25-2005, 08:43 PM
The ROK plays a bit stiffer than the 6.0 95. They both have about the same level of power and control. It's easier to serve with the 6.0 95. They are about the same on volleys. The 6.0 95 definitely generates more spin and is a bit better for loopy topspin strokes, although it hits flat shots pretty well too. They are both pretty good for slicing, with the 6.0 95 perhaps a bit better. The 6.0 95 is much more headlight so it's more manuverable. They both feel very solid and have that really sweet, old school, wood-like feel to them. The more open string pattern gives the 6.0 95 more ball bite and a nicer feel for the ball IMO. The ROK can feel boardy at times due to its dense string pattern. If you like the ROK, you should definitely demo the 6.0 95.

AndrewD
04-25-2005, 11:49 PM
BP,

The ROK has a stiffness of 60 while the PS 6.0 95 is rated as 67 yet you said the ROK actually plays stiffer. Given the discrepancy in their ratings Im wondering where the ROK and ps95 have their stiffness if the flexible one plays firmer.

federer_nadal
04-25-2005, 11:52 PM
iwas thinking the same

morten
04-25-2005, 11:58 PM
to me the ps95 plays stiffer,at impact the rok may feel stiffer due to the more dense string pattern,like old mw 200g felt stiff to me,could be the pattern. I like ps more,but i actually think i would like it even more with a denser str pattern,18 20.I must use thick strings to make up for it.I like flat strokes. ROK seems better for baselineplayer,i am not a bl player,more s-v finesseplayer,good defencegame,but no power baseliner(Agassi)

BreakPoint
04-26-2005, 12:17 AM
BP,

The ROK has a stiffness of 60 while the PS 6.0 95 is rated as 67 yet you said the ROK actually plays stiffer. Given the discrepancy in their ratings Im wondering where the ROK and ps95 have their stiffness if the flexible one plays firmer.

Andrew,
Here's a good example of why you can't judge a racquet just by its specs. I stopped believing those stiffness ratings a long time ago. You really have to play with a racquet to feel how stiff it feels to you. I find the ROK to be stiffer feeling than the PS 95 and also just a bit more powerful in that I can block the ball with the ROK and the ball could sail past the baseline. That almost never happens with the PS 95. The difference is the stiffness of the hoop and the more even balance of the ROK. The ROK has HyperCarbon in the hoop to stiffen it, the PS 95 does not. Thus, the PS 95 has a more flexible hoop which has the effect of making the racquet feel soft when you contact the ball.

AndrewD
04-26-2005, 12:38 AM
BP,
Do you find the Hyper Carbon takes away a lot of the racquet's 'feel'?

I haven't used anything with HC in it apart from the Hyper Pro Staff and found that to be a quite unpleasant experience. Powerful but not much feel for the ball. Great if you just like to bash but not ideal if you want to use touch.

Could that be why many dislike the feel of the new nCodes and why the nCode Tour 90 doesn't seem to have grabbed the old ps85 users?

BreakPoint
04-26-2005, 11:34 AM
BP,
Do you find the Hyper Carbon takes away a lot of the racquet's 'feel'?
Yes it does IMO. It stiffens the frame but takes away a lot of the feel.

I haven't used anything with HC in it apart from the Hyper Pro Staff and found that to be a quite unpleasant experience. Powerful but not much feel for the ball. Great if you just like to bash but not ideal if you want to use touch.
This is the reason why I chose the PS 6.0 95 over the HPS 6.0 95 Tour. They are the same racquet except that the HPS 6.0 has some HyperCarbon added to the hoop to stiffen it. I thought the PS 6.0 had a much sweeter and better feel.

Could that be why many dislike the feel of the new nCodes and why the nCode Tour 90 doesn't seem to have grabbed the old ps85 users?
Yes, I think that's one of the reasons.

I believe there are a lot of anti-HyperCarbon people on this board.