PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Hyper Prostaff 5.0 and 6.1 Hyper Prostaff and 6.1 Classic

makey98
01-20-2010, 12:20 PM
What is the difference between these racquests?

Hyper 5.0
Hyper 6.1
Classic 6.1

It seems there was a hyper 6.0 also???

What is the difference as fair as playability?? The specs look exactly the same on the Racquet Finder.

jayserinos99
01-20-2010, 01:36 PM
The history based on the racquets you listed are:

Classic 6.1 - basis of the current 6.1 95 line. Came out in 1991-1992?
Hyper 5.0 - highly stiff 16x20 95 iirc; didn't share the same mold as the 6.1 as it was slightly more rounded. I believe the HPS 6.5 series also shared the same mold?
Hyper 6.1 - the follow-up to the Classic 6.1; swung a little easier than the Classic but wasn't as solid IMO. Came out around 1999-2000?
Hyper 6.0 - the follow-up to the PS 6.0 95. A little more feedback/stiffer but still had that 6.0 feel. Pretty rare frame and they go for quite a bit on the bay. Came out around 1999-2000?

I won't go into great detail because there's quite a few threads on these frames but that's the general gist of the frames.

jimbo333
01-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Federer used the paintjob of the Hyper PS 6.0 before he used the paintjob of the PS Tour 90:)

faultfoot
01-21-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't think Federer used a 95 square inch head of any kind. (I was always wondering this myself and did some searches on this board. There is no conclusive answer but I don't anyone can confirm-other than Federer himself-that he did.)

In any case, it seems like the consensus on these boards is that Wilson painted Federer's PS85's and later, his 90 square inch racket, with the HPS 6.0/6.1 colors.

(Ahh, those were some beautiful frames IMO! The colors were a good mix on both frames. Wish Wilson would bring back that design person to do the current line up!!!)

Anyway, back to the issue, at a cursory glance, any person can see that the HPS 6.0 and HPS 6.1 featured the same colors. What is unique is that the HPS 6.0 had a matte finish, as opposed to the HPS 6.1 which featured some gloss on the frame and some matte finish near the throat.

Check out what a Canadian seller from the bay has: the discontinued HPS 6.1 (very nice!):

http://i49.tinypic.com/f0b6dz.jpg

But regardless of what colors were used, Federer never in fact (to my knowledge at least) used a HPS 95 of any kind. Just used the color or paint jobs of the 6.0/6.1 :)

Adam_mtl
01-21-2010, 03:17 PM
What is the difference between these racquests?

Hyper 5.0
Hyper 6.1
Classic 6.1

It seems there was a hyper 6.0 also???

What is the difference as fair as playability?? The specs look exactly the same on the Racquet Finder.

HPS 5.0 : All-around performance of this racquet is very good, but stifness gets to your arm after a while. That's why I eventually gave mine up. But GREAT serving stick.
HPS 6.1: Higher SW and more plow-through than the 5.0. Bettre for baseline play than S-V. But more maneuvrable than the K6.1 in my opinion. Still pretty stiff like most Wilson racquets.
HPS 6.0: Same mold as PS 6.0, but with hypercarbon, so a little stiffer. Still a nice racquet. I had two for a while.

retrowagen
01-21-2010, 03:22 PM
I just bought a HPS 6.1 for a few dollars at a yard sale. Haven't hit with it yet, but it does feel rather stiff and fairly hefty. Also kinda "pingy," compared to the old Heads and Fischers I normally hit with.

I'll probably sell it off in the next few days.

jimbo333
01-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't think Federer used a 95 square inch head of any kind. (I was always wondering this myself and did some searches on this board. There is no conclusive answer but I don't anyone can confirm-other than Federer himself-that he did.)

In any case, it seems like the consensus on these boards is that Wilson painted Federer's PS85's and later, his 90 square inch racket, with the HPS 6.0/6.1 colors.

(Ahh, those were some beautiful frames IMO! The colors were a good mix on both frames. Wish Wilson would bring back that design person to do the current line up!!!)

Anyway, back to the issue, at a cursory glance, any person can see that the HPS 6.0 and HPS 6.1 featured the same colors. What is unique is that the HPS 6.0 had a matte finish, as opposed to the HPS 6.1 which featured some gloss on the frame and some matte finish near the throat.

Check out what a Canadian seller from the bay has: the discontinued HPS 6.1 (very nice!):

http://i49.tinypic.com/f0b6dz.jpg

But regardless of what colors were used, Federer never in fact (to my knowledge at least) used a HPS 95 of any kind. Just used the color or paint jobs of the 6.0/6.1 :)

Federer never used a 95sqin racquet.

And he never used a racquet with a HPS 6.1 paintjob.

He did however use a racquet with a HPS 6.0 paintjob, just before he used a racquet with the PS Tour 90 paintjob (that's what I meant last time:))

faultfoot
01-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Yes, I agree, I don't think Federer ever used the 95.

To my eyes, the HPS 6.0 and 6.1 have IDENTICAL colors. What colors do you see differently? (I'm not talking about frame structure, finish, etc.-just colors.)

(btw, at one point in time, Wilson even subtlely marketed the HPS 6.1 as Federer's paintjob-ha, ha, what do they think, we're that gullible?)

In fact, I bought a HPS 6.1 way back when with a Federer tag on the frame. And check out the pic I posted above--take a look at the placard that accompanies the HPS 6.1-CLEARLY LOOKS LIKE FEDERER TO ME!!!!! :)

ericsson
01-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Yes, I agree, I don't think Federer ever used the 95.

To my eyes, the HPS 6.0 and 6.1 have IDENTICAL colors. What colors do you see differently? (I'm not talking about frame structure, finish, etc.-just colors.)

(btw, at one point in time, Wilson even subtlely marketed the HPS 6.1 as Federer's paintjob-ha, ha, what do they think, we're that gullible?)

In fact, I bought a HPS 6.1 way back when with a Federer tag on the frame. And check out the pic I posted above--take a look at the placard that accompanies the HPS 6.1-CLEARLY LOOKS LIKE FEDERER TO ME!!!!! :)

No Federer never used the 95, just a pj of the great hyperprostaff 6.0.
Both the 6.0 and 6.1 shared the same pj both with the yellow and silver "W"
Only main difference is of course the mold and the "matte" finish on the 6.0 while the 6.1 is glossy, it's a slightly stiffer version of the 6.0 original but stiffer where it needs to, much better stick then the original IMO
I will have a couple coming up for sale in the near future...

faultfoot
01-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks for confirming. Federer never used a 95 square inch frame, just the paint jobs.

Like you said, the HPS 6.0 and 6.1 do share the same colors. :) Cheers!

makey98
01-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Ha. Seems like every thread somehow gets back to fed, who I don't particularly care for.

I was hoping for some history of production data or some playing characteristics.

I guess the hyper 5.0 was re-released in 2004?? Any difference from the original? How can you tell between the original and the re-released version?

makey98
01-27-2010, 11:38 AM
nobody? I was thinking about getting some of the discontinued 5.0's and 6.1's at that site referenced above? Any more info on these frames?