PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Pro Supex Blue Gear ?

jstasak
01-21-2010, 04:26 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any review/thoughts on Pro Supex Blue Gear strings ? Looking for something with spin potential and that will last a little while.

I have used both Bab Pro Hurricane Tour and Signum Hextreme but both (at least to me) lose the spin potential a few matches.

Thanks

servenvolley212
01-21-2010, 05:44 AM
Jstasak, could you send me an email? rnoel21286@gmail.com

I've got the nTour 2s that you're looking for.

chaddles
01-21-2010, 01:04 PM
I tried Blue Gear once, and never, ever again!! By calling it a piece of ***** I would be being too kind - it is terrible to string, too stiff, and just feels like crap. The cog shaped string looks cool, so does the colour, but that is it.

There was no noticable increase in spin, M2 Pro is as good for spin and it has 10 fold the feel. And spin production is mostly technique, not what shape the string is - poly's produce more spin because they are low powered and allow a bigger swing of the racquet which allows more action on the ball. The shape of the string is mainly a mental thing, which I found out when I first got into the shaped strings.

Give Pro Line II, Touch Turbo, Signum Hyperion & Poly Plasma, and/or M2 Pro a shot - just think that these strings each have nano spikes on them that significantly increase the bight on the ball and produce killer spin.

neverstopplaying
01-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Blue Gear is one of my goto strings. As per mfg recommendations, I string it very low 49-51. Recently I've been putting it in the mains with Gaucho gut in the crosses (@56). Works great. Soft feel, great spin, and quite lively for 20 hours of hitting (4.0).

I've also put this setup in 2 friend's sticks and they want the same next time around.

I never tried a full BG setup, or any full poly setup.

Ripper014
01-21-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't know about the Blue Gear... but I love the Pro Supex Big Ace Micro 18L and Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17 setup I have started using.

Nanshiki
01-21-2010, 02:21 PM
The 'gear' (actually flower) shape is a gimmick. It's just a stiffer version of Big Ace, which is a better string in general...

Confusedaboutgear
01-21-2010, 06:07 PM
one of my friends on the HS team used blue gear. I tried it and it felt disgusting

Itagaki
01-21-2010, 06:35 PM
I tried Blue Gear once, and never, ever again!! By calling it a piece of ***** I would be being too kind - it is terrible to string, too stiff, and just feels like crap. The cog shaped string looks cool, so does the colour, but that is it.

I just started stringing and i had no issues putting this in my racquet

as for how the string actually performs, i strung it up just before all the rain hit this area, so i havent gotten a chance to hit with it yet

stanfordtennis alum
01-21-2010, 06:43 PM
a great string if you are looking for extreme spin, a bit on the stiff side though..

dhustla15
01-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Here's my honest opinion as I have gone through several reels of this string. When you start post like this their will always be those who simply detest this string and those who swear it's the hottest or most underated string on the market. And I know you started the post to hear reviews before you purchase.But ultimately it'll come down to you meaning your individual swing style,playing style,racquet,conditions you play in,e.t.c.

GoDawgs2011
01-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Felt that it was good for spin, but not out of this world (Lux Alu Spin was better for me). Also, while I didn't think that it felt terrible, it was the lack of feel which led me to move away from it. Everything else about the string seemed pretty average for a poly.

Toad
01-21-2010, 08:53 PM
I like stiffer stings, and really enjoyed this one. In my opinion, it was very good for placement and generating spin, was fairly low powered, and felt good. However, I can't use this string because I hit very high in the stringbed. This string is very prone to shank snapping...more so than any other string I have used. I have only broken it once on a shank, but every time I have broken it (tried it 5 times), it was at the grommet and it typically lasted me around 4 hours. Avoid it if you hit high in the stringbed, otherwise, it is a very good string for the price if you like stiff strings.

lawlitssoo1n
01-21-2010, 11:12 PM
used to play w/ this for a while and it started giving my elbow problems, so i quit using them, but i had a good 2-3 months w/ it, veryy good spinn

acer4tennis
01-22-2010, 04:09 AM
Definitely a spin monster. But once the "gears" get more and more dull, provides less and less spin. But in regards of spin simply, the best and not stiff at all.