PDA

View Full Version : Estoril Open

Guga_x
04-26-2005, 12:40 AM
Guess I mind as well do something usefull and keep you gus posted on the onsight view from the tourney.

Pretty calm first day, with a lot of people coming to watch the event since yesterday was a holiday here.

The highlights of the day:

Gaudio almost lost to a Czech guy called Jan Hernych (ranked 70s) on a 3 setter. Jan had a matchpoint on the second set at 5-4 but on that set point gaudio clashed his serve response on Jan's backline and not happy with that he slammed a left hader on top of the net that just squeezed through to the other side. Guess you can call it champs luck.

Our own Leonardo Tavares failed to beat Galo Blanco for a seed on the main draw. Better luck next time man.

Dokic lost to Bondarenko on a 3 setter. It was nice to see her again (not for the tennis...)

Garcia-Lopes blocked Karlovic's 200Km/h+ serves to an easy win. (Man that guy is huge!!)

Other than that the same old Estoril Open, lots of sun, heat, babes and dust.

Tommorow the fun will begin with Ferrero, Moya, Johansson and the likes cruiing through their first rounds (or not).

Peace for you all.

Marius_Hancu
04-26-2005, 01:40 AM
Perhaps you'll be able to attend JCF Baghdatis.

gugafanatic
04-26-2005, 05:04 AM
Perhaps you'll be able to attend JCF Baghdatis.

good matchup, i assume Baghdatis is not much a clay courter so it may be one sided.

Andy Hewitt
04-26-2005, 07:53 AM
good matchup, i assume Baghdatis is not much a clay courter so it may be one sided.
gugafantaic once again, spittin the truth. Damn, you always right!

gugafanatic
04-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Dude are you genuinely agreeing with my comments or just taking the p*ss?

Guga_x
04-26-2005, 02:00 PM
Yes I did. Great match, decided on the 3rd set tie breaker. Tough call to Ferrero! Amazing the ability to hit service responses by bagdathis.

Moya cruised pass Mantilla. Johansson had a difficult time to beat his opponent.

Chela was out 6-1 6-2 by Juan Antonio Marin on one of the 2 best matches of the day. The other one was my fellow man Rui Machado against Calleri.

Calleri won on 3 sets but Rui played a wonderfull match while he had stamina.

On the womens side Penneta (1) was out in 2 to Ukrainian qualifier Olga Savchuk.

Just a note to refer that I already saw to players with the new Fischer racket, but that is another forum's story...

Guga_x
04-27-2005, 11:30 PM
Yesterday was a very calm day with nothing remarkable going on.

Here are a couple of pics I took the day before:

http://www.wptgroup.com/Images/Rui.jpg

http://www.wptgroup.com/Images/Johansson.jpg

http://www.wptgroup.com/Images/sombra.jpg

Today JCF agains Moya center court and guess where I'll be? That's right first row baseline...

Guga_x
04-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Great match yesterday. One of the best I saw live in my entire life.

A 3 setter very tactical match with Moya giving the initiative of the game to JCF who was smacking the ball from both sides of the court with no mercy.

It was amazing to see how Moya playing a different style to his nature, always seemed to control the game.

There was a point on the final set taht I think told the entire story of the match. Ferrero did something like 10 drives full power to both right and left of Moya who just stoud there giving the ball bak. As soon as Ferrero got a tired and his drives weekened Moya did an inside out cross court taking control of the court, did another one to Ferreros right who just barely got there, and closed the point easy with a smash.

Let's now see how his confidence grews for the rest of the tournament.