PDA

View Full Version : Head Grips

federer_nadal
04-26-2005, 01:10 AM
I hit a semi western forehand and a western back hand (well i hit it with the western grip so i dont really know what it is) is a head grip good for this?

AndrewD
04-26-2005, 03:13 AM
Of course you can use any grip at all but I do find with the Head grips that they're very comfortable for forehands - continental to western- but not so much for single handed backhands - semi-western to western.

It is all a personal preference and I know you can alter the grip shape to suit yourself, however, I dont like tinkering with grip shape and would much prefer to buy a frame that feels comfortable right off the bat on all of my grip choices.

Give it a try, Im sure there'll be quite a few people at your club who use Head and will let you have a hit with their frame.

federer_nadal
04-26-2005, 03:43 AM
Our club is very sheepish, there is wilsons, and then there is wilsons and then there is 2 babolats and others. Noone has head racquet. We are a small country town. Worst of all there are only like 4 or so players racquet in our whole town.

AndrewD
04-26-2005, 04:03 AM
Having gone through High School in a small Victorian country town I appreciate your problem (although then we didn't even have Wilson, mostly Emrik, Lotto and Spalding so your'e doing better than we were LOL).

Not much else to suggest if you can't demo a racquet. The only other solution I could think of would be to buy one very cheaply through **** and give it a try. The Head grip is closest to Babolat so if you could get one of those, take off the synthetic grip and put on a leather one (which will let you feel the bevels and shape of the grip much better than synthetic) you might get a slightly better idea.

You dont ever get into Adelaide where you might have the chance to demo a frame?

Grimjack
04-26-2005, 08:44 AM
I hate the Head grip for everything but serving. (I suppose it would also be good for volleying, if I ever volleyed.) The Head grip is tall and narrow, and just doesn't suit me for getting leverage beneath the grip to rip up and through the ball. I mean, it can be done of course, but it always feels like the pressure is in one or two small spots on my hand, rather than spread nicely across the surface of the grip as with a Wilson/Prince/etc.

I play Head racquets because I like their frames, but I perform drastic surgery on the grip before they're court-ready.

leog
04-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Head's rectangular shape is the most un-ergonomic, extreme grip I've held. My prestige is sweet, but I've hated the grip ever since I bought it. The racket feels terrible on 1HBHs; finally, yesterday, I sanded it down drastically into more of a hexagonal shape. I'll be hitting with it today, hope it feels better!

Grimjack, what's the "drastic surgery" you perform on yours?

Grimjack
04-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Head's rectangular shape is the most un-ergonomic, extreme grip I've held. My prestige is sweet, but I've hated the grip ever since I bought it. The racket feels terrible on 1HBHs; finally, yesterday, I sanded it down drastically into more of a hexagonal shape. I'll be hitting with it today, hope it feels better!

Grimjack, what's the "drastic surgery" you perform on yours?

With my current run of PT280's, I:

1) Remove the stock synthetic grip and heave it into the scrap pile.
2) Place a 1/2" wide strip of Babolat lead down each of the wider 3 & 9 o'clock bevels.
3) Layer three strips of Gamma head protection tape over each of those bevels as well.
4) By now, the grips are nearly round, so I re-wrap them with a leather grip (currently favoring the Volkl).

(Edit: 4A - Yonex overgrip the dang thing.)

5) Add a bunch of lead to the racquet head (at 3 & 9) to maintain a roughly 1" HL balance, and there you have a Head PT280 with a grip I can stomach and a raw mass pushing a US pound.

tarheelbornjohn
04-26-2005, 10:25 AM
I really like the Head Grip shape. I play an all court game and depending on the other player's style/grip used/strengths/weaknesses I go from a baseliner to a serve and volly player. I am changing grips from eastern to full western and everything inbetween. I find that the shape helps me locate the grip I want without thinking about it. If it were more round like Wilson, I have more trouble doing that.

Safina
04-26-2005, 10:46 AM
yah no real problems here either..

i use semi western forehand.. find this better on the HEAD than others
i use eastern 1HBH... no problems here either...

only issue for me.. is hitting a flat serve down the T is a little harder with HEAD for some reason... but spin serves are better.

ffrpg
04-26-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm another person who enjoys the Head grip shape. I personally think it's easier to feel the bevels because of the rectangular shape. I use a full western forehand grip and an eastern one handed backhand grip.

Prestigious
04-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Like tarheelbornjohn, I find that the Head grip helps me line up my 2HBH quicker and easier since I don't have to fumble around figuring out where to put my LH. Sometimes I just like to wail on a sitter and the Head grip shape is perfect for quickly moving from a continental to extreme western grip.

wao
04-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Like tarheelbornjohn, I find that the Head grip helps me line up my 2HBH quicker and easier since I don't have to fumble around figuring out where to put my LH. Sometimes I just like to wail on a sitter and the Head grip shape is perfect for quickly moving from a continental to extreme western grip.
I agree with THBJ and Prestigious. No problems finding any of my grips.
Semi/Western FH and 2bh.

Wayne

leog
04-26-2005, 12:56 PM
http://www.tennisgeometrics.com/Eastern_backhand_Tennis.html

you can see how building up 3 & 7, and filing down 1 & 5 would eliminate the necessity of a wonder wedge...but you can also see, in the picture of the grip at the bottom, how PERFECTLY the reshaped grip fits the Eastern 1HBH Topspin shot!!!...I'll be testing it tonight:)

splink779
04-26-2005, 04:36 PM
With the head grip, it feels like I'm making solid contact with the grip at every point on my hand. While this is technically the case on any grip, it just feels like I'm getting every bit of leverage possible with the grip. I use the semi-western/western hybrid, and this is possibly the perfect grip shape for this swing.

leog
04-26-2005, 10:08 PM
yes...for FOREHAND, the grip is fine...it's terrible for a 1HBH topspin eastern grip...

AndrewD
04-27-2005, 02:21 AM
As we've all said, you can adjust to anything, however, this is just that tiny little bit of personal preference and obviously not a statement on what is good or bad only what feels most comfortable to us. That being said, one other grip I really dont like is the Prince. On anything apart from semi-western forehand it just feels too square and absolutely hate it at net (I keep finding my grip shifting from continental to eastern).

I am looking at a Wilson so does anyone know how it compares to the Prince (which I dislike) and the Head (which I like for all but backhands)?? Hoping to find that happy medium between the two (although most important for serving, net play and backhand).