PDA

View Full Version : Question: Closest Strings to Wilson Hyperlast 19?

SecondServe
01-21-2010, 09:28 AM
I recently tested some Wilson Hyperlast 19 with some Gosen OG Micro 16 both strung at 50lbs in a Radical MP. This combo is definitely a little more stiff feeling than a full bed of Gosen 16 or 17 but was broken in extremely well within the first 45 minutes of hitting. I can see this is more controlled and more spin friendly than my current setup. I have enjoyed the feeling of this string combination in the few hours I've used it and was wanting to know other similar strings to the Hyperlast.

goran_ace
01-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Wilson Hyperlast is not actually the name of the string but is a packaged hybrid with Technora mains and Stamina crosses. Technora is basically the same as Kevlar. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other 19 gauge strings (in any material), so closest I can think of are Ashaway Crossfire or Forten Aramid in 18g. Stamina is just a durability oriented synthetic gut.

meowmix
01-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Gamma TNT Fusion Plus 19 is similar.

SecondServe
01-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Wilson Hyperlast is not actually the name of the string but is a packaged hybrid with Technora mains and Stamina crosses.

That makes sense. The strings were given to me without packaging and the other half-set had the name Stamina on them. The Technora only stated Hyperlast 19. So thanks for that information!

SecondServe
01-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Gamma TNT Fusion Plus 19 is similar.

Thanks meowmix. Have you played with the TNT Fusion? How is the tension maintenance of this string? Can either of these Kevlar strings be purchased outside of a hybrid, either in reel or set form?

meowmix
01-21-2010, 05:53 PM
TNT Fusion, the kevlar part, is not available outside of the hybrid (as far as I know). The Ashaway Kevlar IS available in reel form, at around 70 dollars for 330 feet.

I have not personally played with it, but I just strung it up for a customer. As with all kevlar, it loses quite a bit of tension at first, and does not have the best tension maintenance.

That being said, kevlar is probably not the smartest option. If you really like it, stick with it, but it's very very stiff and can cause arm problems. Polyesters are less stiff than kevlar, keep (more or less) the same spin capabilities, and have better tension maintenance.