PDA

View Full Version : When We're Just Hitting/Practicing

Annika
01-21-2010, 09:45 AM
This annoys me and I don't know why. :oops: When we're just hitting or practicing and one of our balls goes into a nearby court, my team or opponent will playing and wait for it to be returned. Now don't tell me it's because we might lose our third ball. :mad: I said don't tell me! Balls have names and numbers.

I personally know that our ball will be hit back onto our court as soon as possible- so why stop playing? In fact another annoying thing about that, is when I'm hitting with my husband and our ball goes into another court of players, he stops, points to it and waits. If that ball rolls up along the back fence, those players will continue to play in that court--so why do we stop playing? :mad:

I'm sure there's some good USTA rule about that that someone will share. I guess I'm one of those impatient players. :shock: OK I feel better now....

OrangePower
01-21-2010, 09:51 AM
This annoys me and I don't know why. :oops: When we're just hitting or practicing and one of our balls goes into a nearby court, my team or opponent will playing and wait for it to be returned. Now don't tell me it's because we might lose our third ball. :mad: I said don't tell me! Balls have names and numbers.

I personally know that our ball will be hit back onto our court as soon as possible- so why stop playing? In fact another annoying thing about that, is when I'm hitting with my husband and our ball goes into another court of players, he stops, points to it and waits. If that ball rolls up along the back fence, those players will continue to play in that court--so why do we stop playing? :mad:

I'm sure there's some good USTA rule about that that someone will share. I guess I'm one of those impatient players. :shock: OK I feel better now....

One good reason to stop playing and watch the ball as it's going to the other court, is to make sure that the ball is not going to end up in a dangerous place for the players on that court, and potentially alert them if they do not see the ball themselves.

You have a responsibility to make sure that your errant ball is not going to be a hazard to other players.

LeeD
01-21-2010, 10:01 AM
If you continue to play, chances are great your errant ball will be returned to your court DURING your point. Do you want to step on it while concentrating on the ball you're playing with?
Bad manners to hit ball into next court, then make them WAIT for you to finish play before returning ball.
Having played a few more years, you get tired of losing balls when it goes over to the NEXT court, away from yours.
They're doing you a favor by retrieving your ball, so have some courtesy to WAIT for them.

eagle
01-21-2010, 10:20 AM
If you have seasoned players who also know about tennis ettiquette playing next to your court, they will look at the ball closely when they pick it up and determine if the ball is theirs or not. If not, they will ask you or toss it back away from their court.

If you have novices, wannabes, or occassional players, they will likely collect the ball without looking and hit with it thinking it is part of their pool. Most of the time, they also play with old or dead balls. So, if you are lucky enough to have them playing next to your court, you might end up getting back old or dead balls.

If you start with 3 or 6 brand new balls, wouldn't you want to play with new balls the whole time you are hitting for consistent play and bounce?

Now, if you are hitting with old or even dead balls, then who cares. But why would you play with dead balls? That's counterproductive.

r,
eagle

Annika
01-21-2010, 10:34 AM
All good replies. Thanks.

gameboy
01-21-2010, 10:34 AM
It is just good etiquette to wait for the ball. Otherwise, the people who retrive the ball for you would either have to wait to return the ball to you until your point is done or return to you while the point is going.

You shouldn't force other people who are doing you a favor (returning your ball) to wait or do something they don't want to do.

Ripper014
01-21-2010, 11:37 AM
If you continue to play, chances are great your errant ball will be returned to your court DURING your point. Do you want to step on it while concentrating on the ball you're playing with?
Bad manners to hit ball into next court, then make them WAIT for you to finish play before returning ball.
Having played a few more years, you get tired of losing balls when it goes over to the NEXT court, away from yours.
They're doing you a favor by retrieving your ball, so have some courtesy to WAIT for them.

I don't agree with that, most people will wait for you to miss... doesn't usually take too long.. or they will bunt it into the fence behind you or into your net. If one of our balls gets hit into another court... I wait till it settles so I know where it is and continue hitting. If I notice that play has stopped on the other court I will request nicely if they would retrieve our ball for us.

LeeD
01-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Yeah, you make a mistake by hitting into their court, just make them wait for your point to end. Why not ask them for NEW balls as well?:shock::shock::confused:

decades
01-21-2010, 11:47 AM
that is correct procedure.

ttbrowne
01-21-2010, 02:07 PM
I usually don't like to wait either. And if I find a ball on our court, we'll wait til the points over on an adjacent court to see if it's their ball. If they are not kind enuf to wait til our points over to return a ball, then vice versa.

jserve
01-21-2010, 05:02 PM
If it was a missed first serve that went onto the other court I would continue play and finish the point, but in any other case I would wait until the ball is returned.

pshulam
01-21-2010, 05:11 PM
just wait until they are done and ask them for the ball. .. then thank them.

kimbahpnam
01-21-2010, 05:22 PM
your first few sentences are hard to read

Cindysphinx
01-21-2010, 06:05 PM
If it was a missed first serve that went onto the other court I would continue play and finish the point, but in any other case I would wait until the ball is returned.

Yeah, first serve is the one exception, meaning then you should just look to make sure your ball isn't going to injure your neighbors and then let the server hit the second serve immediately.

I have a friend who does something unusual in those circumstances. If her ball is rolling toward players on an adjacent court into their field of play, she will shout "Let!" I feel a little squirrely calling a let on someone else's court, so I say "Watch your feet!" so they can call their own let. I would feel bad if I *thought* the ball posed a hazard and the neighboring court didn't and someone got robbed of a point.

SamSung
01-21-2010, 06:42 PM
I feel a little squirrely calling a let on someone else's court,

Is that because you'd have to be nuts to think you can call a let on someone else's court? LOL

Regardless, I'd think that when you have a situation where your team mates, your opponents and even your husband all exhibit the same tennis etiquette there shouldn't be any need to go looking for a USTA rule. Something kinda odd about asking for a rule, sort of like you're looking for a way to tell those people they're wrong and they should be doing things your way.

Cindysphinx
01-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Is that because you'd have to be nuts to think you can call a let on someone else's court? LOL

Heh, heh. Yeah, uh. I was trying to be diplomatic in phrasing it the way I did! :)

mlamags
01-22-2010, 10:08 AM
In a somewhat unrelated note (sorry to hijack), I have a hitting partner that suffers from Tennis Ball Unawareness Syndrome. He NEVER knows how many balls are pocketed and ends up needlessly breaking up rallies to retrieve another ball. For instance, after collection I will pocket one, play one. When the first ball goes out of play, he goes searching for another one while I'm standing there frozen, mid-motion to play my other ball. I think he's deaf too because he never hears me when I yell, "BALL!!!" It's beyond annoying.

Another thing too is that he doesn't pocket balls. He says it feels too cumbersome, so he's chasing them down more often or stashes a few by his feet at the baseline. Ugh.

Ok, rant over.

jswinf
01-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah, first serve is the one exception, meaning then you should just look to make sure your ball isn't going to injure your neighbors and then let the server hit the second serve immediately.

I have a friend who does something unusual in those circumstances. If her ball is rolling toward players on an adjacent court into their field of play, she will shout "Let!" I feel a little squirrely calling a let on someone else's court, so I say "Watch your feet!" so they can call their own let. I would feel bad if I *thought* the ball posed a hazard and the neighboring court didn't and someone got robbed of a point.

Maybe that's the exception but I still don't like it if I'm a player on that other court, the point started with that second serve always seems to last 20 shots or so, and casually rolling the ball back into the net or something isn't an option. I think when a missed first serve is obviously heading for another (occupied) court the folks what hit it ought to wait to reclaim it in a timely fashion.

beernutz
01-23-2010, 03:54 PM
your first few sentences are hard to read

Just insert the word "stop" in the appropriate place and they all make sense.