PDA

View Full Version : Mistake in Stringing?

Jmu008
01-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I decided to try out a new string hybrid set and ordered a racquet from TW with Luxilon ALU Power Rough at 55 lbs. and Natural Gut 16 at 52 lbs. Was this a mistake, since usually natural gut should be strung higher instead of lower than poly? And how badly will this affect the playability of my racquet?

Thanks in advance.

topanlego
01-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Usually... not always.

Since you can't fix it without cutting it out, try it and see. What you're asking is subjective so the answers here may not be what you experience. Maybe you'll like it (or not).

decades
01-21-2010, 11:51 AM
I had a string job done and one center cross string seems to move and none of the others do. is this a mistake where he didn't get the tension correct or is it normal?

TearSNFX
01-22-2010, 07:49 AM
I had a string job done and one center cross string seems to move and none of the others do. is this a mistake where he didn't get the tension correct or is it normal?

im 90% sure it was a tight weave and he didn't pull the string through enough and just applied tension once.

decades
01-22-2010, 07:50 AM
im 90% sure it was a tight weave and he didn't pull the string through enough and just applied tension once.

yeah he complained how stiff silverstring was on the crosses. does this ruin the entire string bed? it didn't feel as good as the other racket he did with the same setup.

topanlego
01-22-2010, 09:47 AM
How do you get a tight weave in the middle of the racquet? Maybe the strings are being double pulled.

LPShanet
01-23-2010, 03:52 AM
I decided to try out a new string hybrid set and ordered a racquet from TW with Luxilon ALU Power Rough at 55 lbs. and Natural Gut 16 at 52 lbs. Was this a mistake, since usually natural gut should be strung higher instead of lower than poly? And how badly will this affect the playability of my racquet?

Thanks in advance.

It may have been a little boo boo, but it probably won't matter. DO NOT cut it out, as that would be a waste of string and money. At those tensions you should be totally fine...it'll just play slightly stiffer than it would have. And since gut maintains tension much better than poly, it should even out in after a bit of playing. In general, the way strings feel has to do with overall string bed stiffness, and differences in tension between mains and crosses matter less than most people think. I'd say don't worry about it for now, and try it the other way around later to see if you notice a difference. Chances are it'll just play slightly softer with the lower tension in the poly mains.

Jmu008
01-23-2010, 04:52 AM
It may have been a little boo boo, but it probably won't matter. DO NOT cut it out, as that would be a waste of string and money. At those tensions you should be totally fine...it'll just play slightly stiffer than it would have. And since gut maintains tension much better than poly, it should even out in after a bit of playing. In general, the way strings feel has to do with overall string bed stiffness, and differences in tension between mains and crosses matter less than most people think. I'd say don't worry about it for now, and try it the other way around later to see if you notice a difference. Chances are it'll just play slightly softer with the lower tension in the poly mains.

Thanks a lot! I was getting really worried from the previous responses. :D

topanlego
01-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks a lot! I was getting really worried from the previous responses. :D

Have you ever played with that setup with the gut strung at a higher tension? If not, then it doesn't matter that it's strung at a lower tension as you have nothing to compare to. If you like it, do it again. If you don't, try a different tension.