PDA

View Full Version : Post-op shoulder PT - more intense after 6 weeks?

BMC9670
01-21-2010, 10:53 AM
I had to change physical therapists 6 weeks after shoulder surgery because of my insurance network. I had/have a of of stiffness because I was in a sling 2 weeks longer than normal because of the procedure done. The first PT was very gentle and did not push too hard when it comes to stretching me. I did feel I made progress every week.

The new PT pushes me much harder and I'm in considerably more pain, both during the sessions (acute pain) and after (soreness).

Could this just be a difference in styles, or is there usually a difference in intensity after 6 weeks? I'm afraid of damaging the repair by doing to much or too hard.

ab70
01-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Assuming your SLAP tear required anchors, I would suggest to progress with caution as it sounds like quite afew people had issues with bicep aggreavation post SLAP with agressive therapy at 6-12 weeks and even later... RC tears seem to be more standard... slow progress is good:-?

bee
01-21-2010, 01:06 PM
In 3-4 weeks you'll be ready for gentle breast stroking in the pool. You'll be pleasantly surprised by how rapidly you recover with that.

If you're like me, you'll look back on all that physical therapy as largely a waste of time and money. I think I went twice, then did the movements at home. My rapid recovery began in the swimming pool about 8 weeks post surgery.

In any event, good luck with it!

BMC9670
01-21-2010, 04:16 PM
ab70: yes, I had two anchors for the SLAP tear, acromioplasty, and a lot of debridement. I've heard/read the horror stories and I'm very apprehensive when they are stretching me. The stuff I do under my own power is OK. I've heard PT shouldn't push to a lot of pain - and I've heard no pain no gain. They seem to want to be on a schedule and I'm wondering if there is a reason, like the shoulder freezing up after a certain period of time.

bee: I think you had said this in my surgery thread, and I hear you as breast stroke really helped keep the RC strong last year before surgery. However, I can't imagine getting in the pool at this point. Too weak, to sore, and not enough ROM. The only thing I really think the PT is needed for is the manipulation. Everything else I can do at home.

ab70
01-21-2010, 05:42 PM
there is a claim that you should regain full range until certain time... 12 weeks?, but I don't think it is true. Gains in pain free range could be made for quite a while. I would say by 12 weeks you should have full AROM. IR comes the last and you should not try it till 8-10 weeks. The key with SLAP is not stressing the bicep, which seems to be a common problem since based on recent studies the anchors around labrum stress the tendon by making it is too tight... good luck

bee
01-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Yes, good luck. We're all hoping you'll have a good result.

larry10s
01-22-2010, 08:59 AM
In 3-4 weeks you'll be ready for gentle breast stroking in the pool. You'll be pleasantly surprised ......
In any event, good luck with it!
sounds like good therapy to me:)my therapist better be a girl!!!!