PDA

View Full Version : Babolat vs. Prince vs. Wilson vs. Head

Misiti99
04-26-2005, 04:15 AM
Ok....I am a college player. I played with the Volkl C-10 Pro all my life until College when I switched to the Babolat Pure Control Team ( 11.8 ounces). After this year of bad elbow problems, and not as much pop on the ball as I'd like, I am switching. I am a baseliner with a "Moya" like game. I would think to use a racquet such as Moya but he like many othe Pro's paint the Racquet. I have evidence that Moya actually uses the Pure "Soft" Babolat. Now I have a few racquets in mind and I'd love feedback from people...
- Prince O3 Tour (coria)
- Babolat Pure Standard MP- (bigger head size and 11.6 oz)
- Babolat Pure Drive/Pure Drive Plus(roddick, ljubicic)
- Wilson ncode 95(Gaudio)
- Head Flexpoint radical MP (ferrer)/oversize (Agassi-who doesnt even use it)

Thanks a lot- and if anyone has any ideas for strings a little nicer on the arm...do give.......

AndrewD
04-26-2005, 05:14 AM
Misti,

Sorry, Ive got no idea what a Pure Soft Babolat is?

You're in college though so why not take it into your own hands to try a few racquets, even those that aren't being used by pros. You know your game better than anyone and, as you didn't mention anything regarding your style of play its a bit hard to make recommendations. Otherwise, why not just switch back to Volkl.

johnmcc516
04-26-2005, 05:57 AM
Yeah, You could always switch back to the volkyl. Being that I own the nCode 95, demoed the Pure Drive, and demoed the lm radical (its not the flexpoint, but I assume they hit very similar) I will tell you what I know. I'll start with my racquet of choice, the nCode 95. This a very good stick. The balance is very good, and it feels good in your hands. Its quite heavy and can tire you down after a long match (just build endurance). For groundstrokes this thing is a monster. I use the 16x18 pattern and it is a spin monster. I suggest stringing it at high tensions 60+. The heavy racquet just pulls through the strokes. The sweet spot is probably the least forgiving of the racquets you have listed, but with good form and hand eye coordination (I assume you have) then this is a great stick from the ground.

Serving is where this stick is a treat. The heavy stick can really hit a heavy ball on the first serve, and can kick out of this world for a 2nd serve. Its great for setting up a serve and volley. Its not as maneuverable around the net as the radical, or the babolats, but the headlight makes it maneuverable enough.

Volleys are crisp. This racquet has great touch. I am able to hit a soft drop volley, as well as a clean hard volley.

Overall the stick is more of an all courter's stick. Check out TW reviews of it.

Okay. The Radical.

This stick has a little more pop on it than the ncode 95. It is also lighter. I think this racquet is a little better from the baseline than the nCode 95, however it doesn't volley and serve as good as the nCode 95. This racquet also has great spin potential and control. Its a pretty good mix of control and power.

I must say that the babolat was my least favorite racquet of the bunch. It had too much pop for me, but thats me. This racquet is a serve monster, but not as good at the volley. If you are a baseliner with a big serve, this racquet may be the ticket.

I recommend the nCode 95, but you can't go wrong with any of the racquets. Just try them out and see which one fits your playstyle the best. Good luck.

federer_nadal
04-26-2005, 05:20 PM
I had a babolat soft power once it was a very nice racquet, but it has the ractangular head which moya does no have. The flexpoint tour sounds very good.

Marius_Hancu
04-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Ok....I am a college player. I played with the Volkl C-10 Pro all my life until College when I switched to the Babolat Pure Control Team ( 11.8 ounces). After this year of bad elbow problems

C'MMON, bad tennis elbow and you still want to play with (the very stiff) PD+?
Nuts!

Read some threads in the Health forum, search on "elbow" and see what people recommend in terms of rackets and strings there. Educate yourself. That's your concern now, your health, not your game!

Nothing stiff, nothing 18x20, no polys, no high tensions, this will cure you and allow you to play long term.

And heavier. Over 330g.

Also prefer pure graphite to anything with Titanium and other metals.

Marius_Hancu
04-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Check these:

Babolat = elbow pain?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=27161

elbow problems wit babolat pc
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=32362

Marius_Hancu
04-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Check my posting at:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=33800
Section: Tennis Elbow
Section: Wrist Pain (this is important too)

Marius_Hancu
04-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Volkl C10 Pro
should be very good for you:
Strung Weight: 12.2oz / 346g
Stiffness: 63

search postings by NoBadMojo to see what he recomends terms of strings, he's using Volkls.

from Wilson, nothing derived from 6.1, they are too harsh. found it on my elbow (and show did my stringer).

Marius_Hancu
04-26-2005, 06:03 PM
LM Prestige might be good for you:
Strung Weight: 12.3oz / 349g
Stiffness: 61
the reservation I have about it is 18x20, too dense, that contributes to tennis elbow.

Still check the thread by Predrag:
Tennis Elbow
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=41675
he's using it, but with natural gut.

USCfan
04-26-2005, 06:21 PM
I also used to use the c10...what didn't you like about it?

nViATi
04-26-2005, 08:06 PM
try a prince tour diablo it's GREAT

Marius_Hancu
04-27-2005, 02:18 AM
- Prince O3 Tour (coria)

This might be OK, in effect.
Has enough weight and it's not stiff.

Or POG.
The POG OS was ranked #1 for tennis elbow safety. http://www.racquetresearch.com/
(that listing is a bit obsolete, but ...)

okrist
04-27-2005, 03:34 AM
O3 Tour: Disappointing playability, I really wanted to like this stick but it doesn't offer anything new.
PureDrive: Has plenty of power and still pretty good feel.

I swear by the Prince Tour Diablo, give it a try, it should fit your game well if you're a baseliner.

snoflewis
05-03-2005, 09:34 AM
actually....agassi did use the flexpoint radical OS...there were pictures of him using it at tennis.com when he shattered it....

gscone
05-03-2005, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=okrist]O3 Tour: Disappointing playability, I really wanted to like this stick but it doesn't offer anything new.
PureDrive: Has plenty of power and still pretty good feel.
QUOTE]

I agree- The 03 was a disappointment for me too.

10sNut
05-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Since you have played with the Volkl brand for a while, you may find them easier to adjust to because of their grip shape (i.e. you should be able to find the grip bevels when you need them). I'm a firm believer that a frame's grip shape carries more weight to an individuals' final choice versus the other racquet's characteristics. If you're a one-handed player that spins the frame with the non-dominent hand, you may want to find one that has the same throat shape as the model you grew up with. I was demoing a few frames with a pro friend of mine a while back and he noted that I tended to gravitate towards the frames with the box-shaped throats over the oval-shaped ones. Food for thought.

IMHO. You might want to demo two of the frames you have mentioned above along with two that fit the specs/characteristics of your junior playing frames, and see which one/ones you like more. The TW demo program is very nice, and if you are looking for a frame that you can seriously compete with, you should give it a try.

Good Luck,
Aaron