PDA

View Full Version : soft poly strings

doubless
01-21-2010, 03:21 PM
hello all,
I am looking to try out some new soft polys. I am coming from big ace 1.25 and looking for something softer or about just as soft to try out in my new youtek prestige. I am currently trying out sonic pro and msv focus hex. Please recomend me some softer feeling polys.

couple of questions
1. How is the luxilon adrenalines playability?
2. Is this a soft poly like head sonic pro or stiff like alu?

bfactor61
01-21-2010, 03:57 PM
try kirschbaum pro line II 1.25

TearSNFX
01-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Polylon SP FTW! :)

rudester
01-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Tecnifibre Black code
Topspin Cyber Blue

Yaz
01-21-2010, 09:41 PM
If you're trying MSV strings also try the Focus Evo...I find it to be a very soft poly that's easy on the arm, especially when strung in the low to mid 50s.

lawlitssoo1n
01-22-2010, 12:13 AM
topspin cyber RED is REALLY SOFT

acer4tennis
01-22-2010, 05:11 AM
topspin cyber RED is REALLY SOFT

How would you compare Cyber Red to Genesis Black Magic?

BigHitterSE
01-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Kirschbaum Pro Line II - Awesome Poly that has everything

BigHitterSE
01-22-2010, 06:25 AM
Also, Kirschbaum Touch Turbo - It's very soft

JackB1
01-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Prince Poly EXP - SOFT!

doubless
01-22-2010, 11:51 AM
thank you all for your suggestions, they are very much appreciated

PROTENNIS63
01-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Another vote to Genesis Black Magic. Great soft co-poly.

LPShanet
01-23-2010, 04:48 AM
hello all,
I am looking to try out some new soft polys. I am coming from big ace 1.25 and looking for something softer or about just as soft to try out in my new youtek prestige. I am currently trying out sonic pro and msv focus hex. Please recomend me some softer feeling polys.

couple of questions

Adrenaline plays a little softer than alu. It's sort of halfway between Alu and M2 in terms of softness. Speaking of which, you should try M2 Pro and also Alu Power Fluoro. Both of those are softer and zippier than Big Ace.

doubless
01-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Adrenaline plays a little softer than alu. It's sort of halfway between Alu and M2 in terms of softness. Speaking of which, you should try M2 Pro and also Alu Power Fluoro. Both of those are softer and zippier than Big Ace.

I have tried luxilon alu fluoro and i think it is not worth the money since it dies out to quickly that is why i was wondering if adrenaline is similar to alu but softer and has better tension maintenance.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
01-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Mantis Comfort Poly

LPShanet
01-23-2010, 11:53 AM
I have tried luxilon alu fluoro and i think it is not worth the money since it dies out to quickly that is why i was wondering if adrenaline is similar to alu but softer and has better tension maintenance.

Yes, Adrenaline is similar to Alu, but softer. I found the feel to be between Alu and M2, as I mentioned. Fluoro is right in the middle of the Luxilon range in terms of tension maintenance, so while everyone's experience is different, there's no lab evidence that it dies any quicker than other Lux strings. And Adrenaline is obviously a big bargain, as many seem to agree that it plays like Lux, but costs less than the others.

TennezSport
01-23-2010, 12:38 PM

When we tested Lux's Adrenaline, we were very surprised not only with it's soft play and great feel but it held tension better than any Lux poly we ever tested. We got 16-20hrs of hard all court play before they went dead in 3 different test racquets. We have never been proponents of Lux string but we would recommend Adrenaline. Some other soft poly strings are:

Babolat Pro Hurricane 18 Polyester 1.21 187 22.29
Tec Promix 17 Polyester 1.27 199 13.72 Our favorite co-poly
Head Sonic Pro 17 Polyester 1.23 199 23.09
Pacific Poly Power 18 Polyester 1.09 201 21.17
Luxilon Adrenaline 1.25 Polyester 1.23 261 19.40

The first number is the string gauge, second is stiffness index and third tension loss. Promix is the first co-poly made like a multi, plays and feels great. It also holds tension much better than all other soft poly strings.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

BigT
01-23-2010, 07:31 PM
PolyStar Energy

doubless
01-24-2010, 08:04 AM
When we tested Lux's Adrenaline, we were very surprised not only with it's soft play and great feel but it held tension better than any Lux poly we ever tested. We got 16-20hrs of hard all court play before they went dead in 3 different test racquets. We have never been proponents of Lux string but we would recommend Adrenaline. Some other soft poly strings are:

Tec Promix 17 Polyester 1.27 199 13.72 Our favorite co-poly
Head Sonic Pro 17 Polyester 1.23 199 23.09
Pacific Poly Power 18 Polyester 1.09 201 21.17
Luxilon Adrenaline 1.25 Polyester 1.23 261 19.40

The first number is the string gauge, second is stiffness index and third tension loss. Promix is the first co-poly made like a multi, plays and feels great. It also holds tension much better than all other soft poly strings.

i just checked the rsi string stiffness ratings and noticed that adrenaline is stiffer than alu!?

TennezSport
01-24-2010, 09:40 AM
i just checked the rsi string stiffness ratings and noticed that adrenaline is stiffer than alu!?

Agreed, but when we tested Adrenaline is felt softer and pocketed better than Alu Flouro or Power at the same tension.

Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power Fluoro 1.23 Polyester 1.23 226 17.64
Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power 1.25 Polyester 1.23 242 17.13

PED
01-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Black Magic or K baum PL2, the 17g would work great in the YT Prestige.

folsfolsfols
07-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Agreed, but when we tested Adrenaline is felt softer and pocketed better than Alu Flouro or Power at the same tension.

Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power Fluoro 1.23 Polyester 1.23 226 17.64
Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power 1.25 Polyester 1.23 242 17.13

how is this possible? 261 seems very stiff

LPShanet
07-05-2010, 01:01 PM
how is this possible? 261 seems very stiff

A number of playtesters I spoke with said it seemed softer, too. Best guess is that it has to do with other properties of the string...in other words, how it behaves at impact, not just the rigidity. Much like RA numbers don't tell much of the story of how a racquet flexes, the stiffness numbers are somewhat limited in terms of what they can tell us about a string's performance.

ManuGinobili
07-05-2010, 08:45 PM
these numbers have been rather misleading in some cases, so I have learned to not even take a glance at them anymore... you just have to play to see for yourself

folsfolsfols
07-05-2010, 10:03 PM
these numbers have been rather misleading in some cases, so I have learned to not even take a glance at them anymore... you just have to play to see for yourself

yes its true in some cases but usually the numbers are pretty reliable. i still find it very useful.

kiteboard
07-30-2010, 08:07 PM
The most glaring being Ashaway kevlar, at 671, and soft at impact, able to lose a huge amount of tension, due to its lack of stretch, and feel the same.

bayoozen33
07-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Does anyone know the stiffness of Isospeed Baseline Speed? I heard it was a pretty soft poly before I bought it and it doesn't appear to be killing my arm, but I didn't know what the actual stiffness rating is for it.

LPShanet
07-31-2010, 12:26 PM
yes its true in some cases but usually the numbers are pretty reliable. i still find it very useful.

The numbers are, in fact, very useful. The trick is understanding them and figuring out how they'll impact your playing experience. When a stiffness number is given, it's accurate, based on the lab tests done at the USRSA to achieve it. However, stiffness isn't the only factor in determining whether a string will feel "soft" or not. The reason some suggest taking the stiffness number with a grain of salt is that the perceived softness of a string is actually based on more than one factor. How stretchy the string is, how much and how quickly it rebounds, and the amount of shock it transmits all figure into that perception. So while the numbers are very reliable, how that translates to the feel of the string may not be.

ricardo
08-01-2010, 05:52 PM
hello all,

couple of questions

The softest poly's according to TW
Polyfibre Poly Hightec 18 123.4
Wilson Enduro Tour 18 124.6
IsoSpeed Pulse 17 124.6
Head Sonic Pro 16 125.2
Polyfibre Poly Hightec 17 125.2
Polyfibre Cobra 17/1.20 125.2
Polyfibre TCS Rapid 16L/1.25 125.7

use this link:
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/reporter.php

include stiffness as a parameter..

genius24
08-02-2010, 03:53 AM
solinco outlast....very very soft poly. probably one of the softest polys i have every played with. also great durability and reasonably priced for the quality you get

TennezSport
08-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Best guess is that it has to do with other properties of the string...in other words, how it behaves at impact, not just the rigidity. Much like RA numbers don't tell much of the story of how a racquet flexes, the stiffness numbers are somewhat limited in terms of what they can tell us about a string's performance.

This is exactly correct as a number of other factors will effect playability. String pattern, racquet stiffness, string tension, string composition, elasticity, resiliency are just some of the major issues that will add to the mix. Some manufacturers state that their poly string should not be tensioned over 57lbs, others don't care what your tension is. This is why it's so difficult to get exact numbers on playability; so many variables.

Gasolina
08-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Quick question, do soft poly strings dampen your power or do they actually give you an trampoline effect because of their softness?

I want something to replace luxilons which is easier on the arm

SirGounder
08-02-2010, 09:41 AM
With my limited experience with polys I'd say Sonic pro and Cyber Whirl are the softest. Well those and Gosen Polylon

rodrigoamaral
08-02-2010, 02:30 PM
by far the softest polys i have ever tried are from polyfibre.. they play almost like syn guts except more spin and better durability

OldButGame
08-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Quick question, do soft poly strings dampen your power or do they actually give you an trampoline effect because of their softness?

I want something to replace luxilons which is easier on the arm
I know i found Cyber Blue to be really soft,....and at the same time,....got a HUGE trampoline effect from it,...so much so it was....'disturbing',.......next stringing i raised the tension,.....to try to pull a little of that extreme trampoline out,....

TennezSport
08-03-2010, 12:15 PM

It's not so much the softness of the poly string but the elasticity and resiliency of the string that gives you the pocketing or trampolining effect. So, a less stiff poly will help but poly strings are not known for their elasticity.

Gasolina
08-03-2010, 12:22 PM
It's not so much the softness of the poly string but the elasticity and resiliency of the string that gives you the pocketing or trampolining effect. So, a less stiff poly will help but poly strings are not known for their elasticity.

Thanks. I am raring to try a full poly bed on my next setup

dadozen
08-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Softest polys I've tried:

Kischbaum PLII 1.15 - as comfortable as it gets, great feel, but doesn't hold tension weel

Signum Pro Hyperion 1.18 - holds tension well, very soft, nice feel, but doesn't perform as good as Scorpion

WeissCannon Turbo Twist - holds tension well, nice feel, great spin. But I personally didn't like it much

My choice? hyperion 1.18 on mains and Scorpion 1.22 on crosses

BobFL
08-03-2010, 12:36 PM
I have tried A LOT of soft polys and I really have to recommend K'baum Competition! This string is SO GOOD it is unbelievable. It holds tension amazingly good and it lasts 2x more than PL2. Just do not overstretch it like 62lbs or so. Again, guys this one is must try!

Btw, I was ultra- disappointed with Helix. Terrible string....

BreakPoint
08-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Do soft polys provide all of the same benefits of stiff polys? My thinking is that what makes poly play the way it does (e.g., lots of spin, low power, board-like feel, low resiliency, no movement, loud pop, etc.) is because it's so stiff. So isn't a "soft poly" an oxymoron? Why not just use a soft non-poly, like a syn gut instead?

To me, a "soft poly" is like having your cake and eating it, too. And we all know that's a rarity in life. :(

JackB1
08-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Softest polys I've tried:

Kischbaum PLII 1.15 - as comfortable as it gets, great feel, but doesn't hold tension weel

Signum Pro Hyperion 1.18 - holds tension well, very soft, nice feel, but doesn't perform as good as Scorpion

WeissCannon Turbo Twist - holds tension well, nice feel, great spin. But I personally didn't like it much

My choice? hyperion 1.18 on mains and Scorpion 1.22 on crosses

Why do u hybrid poly with poly???

LPShanet
08-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Do soft polys provide all of the same benefits of stiff polys? My thinking is that what makes poly play the way it does (e.g., lots of spin, low power, board-like feel, low resiliency, no movement, loud pop, etc.) is because it's so stiff. So isn't a "soft poly" an oxymoron? Why not just use a soft non-poly, like a syn gut instead?

To me, a "soft poly" is like having your cake and eating it, too. And we all know that's a rarity in life. :(

That's a very fair point. But since first generation polys are often too board-like for even high level recreational players, the soft polys offer a compromise that many people seem to like, just as hybrids do. So soft poly isn't so much an oxymoron as simply a relative statement. Even a soft poly will often have less elasticity than syn gut or multi, and provide a deader stringbed, while not being as dead as older polys.

JackB1
08-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Just to add my 2 cents.......I just tried what is supposed to be THE softest copoly out there....TCS and it was still a long way off from multi's in softness, feel and pocketing. Is it better than the stiffest poly's...yes. But even the softest copoly is still nowhere near multi's or nat gut IMO.

tennisrepcal
08-04-2010, 03:28 PM
If you want a very soft co-poly try Kirschbaum's new Helix in smaller guages
The twisted fibers offer a nice pocket feel on the ball and the string holds it's tension

BobFL
08-04-2010, 03:36 PM
That's a very fair point. But since first generation polys are often too board-like for even high level recreational players, the soft polys offer a compromise that many people seem to like, just as hybrids do. So soft poly isn't so much an oxymoron as simply a relative statement. Even a soft poly will often have less elasticity than syn gut or multi, and provide a deader stringbed, while not being as dead as older polys.

Great post and bold-ed is exactly why I like them so much....