PDA

View Full Version : I am always hungry.

Larrysümmers
01-21-2010, 05:39 PM
does anyone else get really hungry throughout the day. Most people seem to just be bored and eat. But I'm actually hungry, meh belly starts to growl and have that empty hungry feeling.
I eat all the time it seems like. I have eggs or sausage in the AM. Or if I'm running late a bunch of fruit. At school I'll have a sandwich. Most of the time ham or turkey on wheat. And I'll have soup. When I get home I'll have something depends on what is in the fridge. Then a few hours later I'll eat dinner. Then I'll snack throughout the night. Mostly fruit or granola bars.

Anybody else have this. I know it runs in my family because its the samething with my dad and grandpa. So is there a constant hunger gene??

Any ideas on how to tame my hunger?

i love t3nn1s
01-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Well, are you gaining any weight? If not, who cares, keep on eating.

SystemicAnomaly
01-22-2010, 06:25 AM
How are your blood sugar levels? Perhaps you are a bit on the hypoglycemic side. Another possibility is that hormone levels are unbalanced. A couple that you might research are ghrelin and leptin. Try this link for a start:

weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=38891&sc=801 (http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=38891&sc=801)

Try a handful or two of healthy nuts (30 mins) before a meal or as a snack to help to curb your appetite. Best nuts are probably walnuts, almonds or pine nuts. Peanuts (not a true nut) may help but probably not as good as the others in this respect. Drink lots of water. I find that cold water works best -- it tends to satisfy my carvings for juice or other sweet drinks. Add ground flax seeds to some of your foods -- salads, hot or cold cereals, tacos, soups, etc. If you use it with hot dishes, best to add it as a garnish after cooking since heat tends to destroy the omega-3s. Check the following for other ideas:

Are You Battling With Constant Hunger? (http://www.articlesbase.com/weight-loss-articles/are-you-battling-with-constant-hunger-514795.html)

goran_ace
01-22-2010, 07:33 AM
If it bothers you then maybe you should talk to your family doctor or a nutritionist. It sounds like you are eating decent food and not just scarfing down chips and pizza. In either case, enjoy the fast metabolism while you can. I remember how much I used to eat in high school without gaining a pound. It truly amazes me how much food I used to be able to put away.

BMC9670
01-22-2010, 08:21 AM
At school I'll have a sandwich.

By this I assume you're young. I was like this in high school - 5'10, 130 lbs when I graduated. Always hungry and couldn't gain weight if I tried. I think it was simply a combination of a high metabolism, which certainly can be genetic, and being very active. Played multiple sports year round. I could never sit still. Even in class my legs would always be moving, or fingers would be tapping.

Enjoy it, because it's rare that people are like this later in life. Now, I'm 39, 6'0, 165 lbs. I'm fit, but I do have to watch what I eat now.

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-22-2010, 09:02 AM
It sucks that you can't continue to eat like a madman into your 30s, 40s, 50s.

Steady Eddy
01-22-2010, 09:48 AM
It sucks that you can't continue to eat like a madman into your 30s, 40s, 50s.
That's true. :(

goran_ace
01-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Youth is wasted on the young!

Larrysümmers
01-22-2010, 12:50 PM
By this I assume you're young. I was like this in high school - 5'10, 130 lbs when I graduated. Always hungry and couldn't gain weight if I tried. I think it was simply a combination of a high metabolism, which certainly can be genetic, and being very active. Played multiple sports year round. I could never sit still. Even in class my legs would always be moving, or fingers would be tapping.

Enjoy it, because it's rare that people are like this later in life. Now, I'm 39, 6'0, 165 lbs. I'm fit, but I do have to watch what I eat now.

Yeah I am 16.

I am not really worried about it for I havnt gained any weight. However over the summer I went from 145 lbs to about ~160 ish. But I think its all around muscle because my belly hasn't goten any bigger my quads chest and bicepts have but I think that's from working out a lot
Like I said I'm not worried just curious.
Thanks for everything so far

SystemicAnomaly
01-22-2010, 01:20 PM
I forgot to mention fiber (tho' I believe that one of the links I provided above talks about it). Fiber, protein and fat tend to satisfy the appetite more than fruits and most other carbohydrate sources. Fruit containing some fiber, such as apples, are a good idea. The (ground) flax seeds that I mentioned are an excellent source of fiber. It also contains protein and healthy (omega-3) fat to help satisfy the appetite.

Note that places like Trader Joes sell oat bran (soluble fiber) at a very decent price. The oat bran also contain some protein. It can be added to other foods, before cooking or as a garnish (on cereals, etc).

LeeD
01-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Sounds like growth spurt, and associated symptoms.
At your age, at 5'5" and 110lbs., I regularly ate 2 large burritos for dinner, or 4 big hamburgers.
Once, my dad (5'6" and 125lbs.), my brother (5'10" and 150lbs.) and I walked into a chinese restaurant and ordered NINE bowls of wonton and 3 orders of chicken chowmein...... as an apptizer! We downed it in maybe 1/2 hour, then ordered various dim sums, to the tune of $120, in 1964 !!!
I'm currently 5'11" and 150, at 61 years old.

120mphBodyServe
01-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Get a weight gainer powder (Protein + carbs) and have a shake as an in between meal...

GeorgeLucas
01-22-2010, 02:24 PM
way to go fatties

BMC9670
01-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Yeah I am 16.

I am not really worried about it for I havnt gained any weight. However over the summer I went from 145 lbs to about ~160 ish. But I think its all around muscle because my belly hasn't goten any bigger my quads chest and bicepts have but I think that's from working out a lot
Like I said I'm not worried just curious.
Thanks for everything so far

Cool. Nothing to worry about. If you're hungry, eat, and it sounds like you're eating the right things. Another good thing to do is drink a lot of water throughout the day. Helps tame the hunger and has a lot of other benefits.

Larrysümmers
01-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Sounds like growth spurt, and associated symptoms.
At your age, at 5'5" and 110lbs., I regularly ate 2 large burritos for dinner, or 4 big hamburgers.
Once, my dad (5'6" and 125lbs.), my brother (5'10" and 150lbs.) and I walked into a chinese restaurant and ordered NINE bowls of wonton and 3 orders of chicken chowmein...... as an apptizer! We downed it in maybe 1/2 hour, then ordered various dim sums, to the tune of $120, in 1964 !!!
I'm currently 5'11" and 150, at 61 years old.

yeah i can relate to that, when we go to the chineese buffet me and some friends take the all you can eat as a challenge.

Larrysümmers
01-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Cool. Nothing to worry about. If you're hungry, eat, and it sounds like you're eating the right things. Another good thing to do is drink a lot of water throughout the day. Helps tame the hunger and has a lot of other benefits.

i try to drink as much as possible, however; i must be in the mood for water. i usually grab tea, which i dont think is that good because of the caffine. because i drink it unsweet, i dont think it is THAT bad, right?

GeorgeLucas
01-23-2010, 09:13 AM
i try to drink as much as possible, however; i must be in the mood for water. i usually grab tea, which i dont think is that good because of the caffine. because i drink it unsweet, i dont think it is THAT bad, right?

tea is infinitely healthy for you. it's chock full of antioxidants (the most powerful and rare type called "catechins") and healthy plant compounds. it also has been proven in Harvard research studies to reduce the risk of multiple kinds of cancers.

raiden031
01-23-2010, 09:25 AM
I am constantly hungry as well...I've been this way my entire life. If it wasn't for my competitive desire and craving for exercise, I'd probably be significantly overweight right now. My 10 month old son likes to eat as well...I think it is very much in your genes.

I hate to say it, but I think a good portion of skinny people who aren't really active are skinny because they don't have the same hunger that a fat person has. A fat person has to consciously make choices on whether they are going to fight the urge and eat less, whereas the skinny person has no desire to binge on food. So really they are at an advantage because it is effortless for some to stay thin, and for others (like me) it is a torturous psychological battle that never ends.

Larrysümmers
01-23-2010, 09:47 AM
tea is infinitely healthy for you. it's chock full of antioxidants (the most powerful and rare type called "catechins") and healthy plant compounds. it also has been proven in Harvard research studies to reduce the risk of multiple kinds of cancers.

well sir, i thank you for that. i did not know that. i will no longer feel guilty for all the tea i drink :)

raiden031
01-23-2010, 09:50 AM

Coffee can significantly reduce the chance of developing cirrhosis of the liver. So for every beer you drink, have a cup-O-Joe.

Larrysümmers
01-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Coffee can significantly reduce the chance of developing cirrhosis of the liver. So for every beer you drink, have a cup-O-Joe.

i am a coffee once in a while person, when it comes to that stuff cappuccino is the way i go :)