PDA

View Full Version : Custom Wilsons

jackcrawford
04-12-2004, 07:05 PM
On page 7 of April's "Racquet Sports Industry", discussing a reorganization of Wilson's racquet sports, it is mentioned that "Ron Rocchi is the global tour equipment manager, responsible for servicing and customizing all racquets for touring pros."
They even have their own department! It's an industry mag, but still a pretty open admission that there are non-stock frames out there.

Deuce B
04-12-2004, 11:16 PM
On page 7 of April's "Racquet Sports Industry", discussing a reorganization of Wilson's racquet sports, it is mentioned that "Ron Rocchi is the global tour equipment manager, responsible for servicing and customizing all racquets for touring pros."
They even have their own department! It's an industry mag, but still a pretty open admission that there are non-stock frames out there.
"responsible for servicing and customizing all racquets for touring pros" <- Where does it say anything about being a custom secret recquet "non-stock"? I customize my racquets too, but they are off the shelf frames to start with. Add some lead tape and voila, it's CUSTOMIZED! :?

Anyways, who cares?!? The pros need heavier frames. I doubt you'd play very well with their heavy racquets. Try going a good 5 sets with a 14-15 oz frame...

jackcrawford
04-13-2004, 05:18 AM
Think it's preety obvious they're referring to servicing their accounts and deciding who gets what custom frame painted how. If they just want to add lead tape to a St. Vincent, say, they (or their stringer) do it themselves.

noname
04-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Do you really think that Pete and Serena will customize their own racquets? I am sure that Wilson just ships them a box of racquets with a roll of lead tape included!

gregraven
04-22-2004, 10:04 AM

If you stay tuned, I did an interview with Ron Rocchi, and have written an article for an upcoming RSI magazine that describes in more detail the types of customization work done by Wilson. It sounds like a great service.

dander
04-22-2004, 11:00 AM
where and when can we seee this?

gregraven
04-22-2004, 12:12 PM
It hasn't been scheduled for publication yet, and we are still awaiting photos from Wilson, but I expect it to appear in the June or July issue of RSI.

dander
04-22-2004, 12:26 PM
i keep hearing about this mag, is there a website or is it subscription only

gregraven
07-01-2004, 08:17 AM
There is a website (http://www.racquettech.com/), which is published by the USRSA, a membership/subscription organization.