PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone ever play with the old wood bambo rackets????

jimanuel12
01-22-2010, 11:01 AM
i think they came out in the early 80's, that's when i bought one.
they were light for a wood racket and had allot of power.
i think mine was a bancroft, i wish i had kept it, i have never seen another one since.

coachrick
01-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Seems like the Bancroft Aussie and a couple of others had bamboo in them...the Aussie was at the low end of Bancroft's 'pro shop' line. IIRC, the bamboo was an overlay in the shaft. How 'green' of them to use a more sustainable 'grass' rather than precious old growth woods. About three decades ahead of the game. :)

dataseviltwin
01-25-2010, 07:39 AM
i think mine was a bancroft, i wish i had kept it, i have never seen another one since.

Bancroft Teardrop was one frame that was bamboo... I've got one - I'll see if I can post a picture.

borg number one
01-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Interesting. As far as wood frames, I only played with a Jack Kramer and Bancroft Borg Pro primarily before going to metal and graphite frames as a Junior player.

Yet, here's a picture of the Bancroft TearDrop below.

I do remember seeing these in the pro shops back then!!

http://www.woodtennisrackets.com/makers/ban/tea1t.jpg

jimanuel12
01-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Interesting. As far as wood frames, I only played with a Jack Kramer and Bancroft Borg Pro primarily before going to metal and graphite frames as a Junior player.

Yet, here's a picture of the Bancroft TearDrop below.

I do remember seeing these in the pro shops back then!!

http://www.woodtennisrackets.com/makers/ban/tea1t.jpg

that does not look like the old bamboo i had, but it has been too long ago, i can't remember for the life of me what kind of racket it was but i know it was bamboo.

LeeD
01-25-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm pretty sure I had a Bancroft "bamboo" single layed racket around '78. It was white with red paint on the lower throat, and did say "bamboo reinforcement" somewhere on the side of the throat.
The racket was mainly ash, with a single layer of bamboo laminate going from the grip up maybe 5", and tapering off.
Flexible, almost "whippy", it was good with tight strings, sprayed the ball with any bluestar less than 60 lbs.
It was also my last racket before a 15 year layoff.

max
01-25-2010, 11:19 AM
I had a Bancroft Super Winner. It was okay; nothing special.

dataseviltwin
02-01-2010, 06:05 AM
I had a Bancroft Super Winner. It was okay; nothing special.

We called it the "Super Wiener..." Doh!!!:twisted:

lazya4
04-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Bancroft Teardrop was one frame that was bamboo... I've got one - I'll see if I can post a picture.

dataseviltwin do you play with this racket? what does it hit like?

lots of bancroft rackets used bamboo in the outer ply. if i remember correctly slazenger also had some rackets that had bamboo in them.

Hannah19
04-11-2011, 11:02 PM

I remember buying a Bancroft Borg that had one or more bamboo layers in the frame. It was a mid range racket that was sold for U$3,00 in the "post wood era" at a hardware/interior decorating store here in the Netherlands.

max
04-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Had a nice Bancroft Super winner long ago. I saw over the weekend at a bar a similar-looking Bancroft squash frame.

michael_1265
04-12-2011, 08:44 AM

I had a Kroydon that was layered with bamboo.

Ronaldo
04-12-2011, 08:56 AM

Used a Bancroft Executive for couple months. Had the most flex of any racquet ever but became so flexible I could bend the racquet. Like Uri Geller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq-D4kOMz6Y&feature=related