PDA

View Full Version : Another Title for Agassi?

Ethan04
04-26-2005, 11:31 AM
removed...

aj_m2009
04-26-2005, 11:32 AM
It hasn't been that long, it hasn't even been a year yet.

Andrew.
04-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Yes, but I'm not sure how big. He can play some Mickey Mouse tournament and get one for sure.

Jack the Hack
04-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Agassi has the game to compete with just about everyone... except for Federer when Fed is at his best. However, if he had the right draw and got on a roll, he has the capability to win another Slam... but the odds are not in his favor.

Winning another title (of any kind)? Of course, he can... and I'm sure he'll get one or two this year. If he doesn't, he'll retire for sure.

drakulie
04-26-2005, 12:14 PM
He won cincy (Master Series) last year didn't he? I believe he beat Hass, hewitt, and roddick to get the title.

Kevin Patrick
04-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Connors didn't win any titles from '85 to '87. He was still making grand slam semis & was ranked in the top 10. I don't think Andre really cares about winning titles other than slams. He's just waiting for an opportunity(a semi or a final) to get a chance to win one more. Outside of Federer, there isn't a player he isn't capable of beating.
Andre won "only" one title in '04. If he didn't, I'm sure he'd still be playing, regardless.

Jack the Hack
04-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Kevin, I totally agree that Agassi probably only cares about the Slams. As you said, I think he is hanging in there for one more opportunity (a semi or final) where a good day or a little luck will get him one more Slam title. (Similar to Sampras, who was in a title drought, but pulled off that one last magical Open.)

However, when he won in Cincy last year, I remember him saying that the title meant a lot for his confidence and confirmed that he could still beat the top players.

If he doesn't make an impact in the Slams this year and doesn't win any other tournaments, I could see him taking that as a sign he can't compete any more and hanging it up.

By the way, I am an Agassi fan and hope he does have another great Wimbledon or US Open run this year! He has the talent, game, fitness, and experience, but does not completely control his own destiny these days.

edge
04-26-2005, 12:55 PM
The more interesting question is whether Agassi can win another GSlam....the answer is no.

scoot
04-26-2005, 01:06 PM
By slam:

RG - no. too many younger dirtballers who can run all day long and extend the rallies forcing the error

Wimby - no. too many huge servers.

USO - no. the surface is a bit too fast. andre likes slower hardcourts.

AO - only with a good draw (avoiding safin/federer)

nw tennis
04-26-2005, 01:34 PM
The hard court slams would be his only chance for another grand slam title. And i wouldn't say it's impossible; just not likely. And his chances diminish the older he gets.
I will say it's amazing that he continues to play at this level, while his original rivals are long gone.

scoot
04-26-2005, 01:36 PM
There's nothing amazing about it. Many of them (e.g. sampras) got bored/satisfied/burnt out and ready to move on with their lives. Its not like many of them could not still be out there at a decently high level if they wanted it.

djedi
04-26-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm a huge fan of Agassi, I believe that he can win one slam or maybe couple titles at the Masters. I mean look at the guy he still reached QF and Semis at most of his match this year, he still got the edge to grab the titles, its just the odds are not on his side yet. But hey the year just started and there are still 7 months to go until the end of the year.

ragnaROK
04-26-2005, 08:56 PM
I find your lack of faith [in the bald headed one] disturbing.

Ethan04
04-27-2005, 06:16 AM
Not possible for another Major.

@wright
04-27-2005, 06:26 AM
Only if the mullet grows back.