PDA

View Full Version : Moya playing right-handed

bobby
04-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Anyone else think that it's really strange that Moya, a natural lefty, plays right-handed and has a huge forehand and mediocre backhand? You would think that his backhand would be better as he is a natural lefty.

Kevin Patrick
04-26-2005, 12:08 PM
I find it odd that natural lefties are taught to play righty. Sharapova is a lefty who plays righty as well.

the_arod
04-26-2005, 01:43 PM
funny thing is that Nadal is natural righthanded, but plays as a lefty

@wright
04-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Didn't know that about Nadal, that's what I call taking advantage! If Moya was a lefty, I think he'd have at least 2 slams by now, maybe more.

Chloe
04-26-2005, 01:52 PM
It used to be common to make people use their right hand for everything, writing included. I hear that in some parts of the world this is still custom. Lefties are/were considered "evil". It's the devil hand! No, really. I'm not making this up. If I could make things this absurd up I'd be writing books not writing on forums.

Anyways, although it's less common to do that now, it's still probably that right handers prefer to teach right handers. It's just easier. Given that I'm a lefty who messed up every single drill my instructor tried on the group, I've seen first hand that it's easier. However, there is an advantage to playing left, so it should be encouraged rather than discouraged.

Zeta
04-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Until 15-20 years ago, here in Italy we were corrected at school... We MUST write with right hand! :(

Now fortunately it's different.

Ben42
04-26-2005, 03:07 PM
Navratilova is a righty whose father taught her to play lefty because he thought it would be an advantage.

gts072
04-26-2005, 03:15 PM
And the fact that most things in the world are geared towards righty. If Nadal is a natural righty then why is his left arm so much bigger than his right? I would assume he does normal non-tennis day to day activities with his right arm but I'm just speculating.

USCfan
04-26-2005, 03:18 PM
And the fact that most things in the world are geared towards righty. If Nadal is a natural righty then why is his left arm so much bigger than his right? I would assume he does normal non-tennis day to day activities with his right arm but I'm just speculating.

From hitting his forehand...

fastdunn
04-26-2005, 03:27 PM
I've heard that it's not that easy to determine whether you're naturally
lefty or righty...

Chloe
04-26-2005, 03:27 PM
There is a picture of him golfing right handed, if I'm not mistaken. But yes, as USCfan noted, hours of lefty tennis each day would be what accounts for that bigger left bicep.

Chloe
04-26-2005, 03:28 PM
I've heard that it's not that easy to determine whether you're naturally
lefty or righty...
I wouldn't be surprised. I still haven't figured it out.

aj_m2009
04-26-2005, 03:42 PM
...Sharapova is a lefty who plays righty as well.

If she is a lefty then why doesn't she write with her left hand:http://www.tops4tennis.com/articles/sharapova.html?

VamosRafa
04-26-2005, 03:43 PM
I've posted this before, but I actually asked Carlos about this in Houston 2003, for the same reasons mentioned here. Here's the exchange:

Q. You are left-handed but you play right-handed. Did you ever play left-handed?

CARLOS MOYA: No. Well, when I was a kid, I broke my right arm, so I tried to play my left. But I wasn't very good (smiling).

Q. It's interesting. Rafael Nadal is the opposite. He's right-handed, plays left-handed. I was wondering if that was a Mallorcan trait?

CARLOS MOYA: Yeah, maybe. But I don't know any other one doing that. Maybe we are the only two.

Sorry for the "connection to the stars" reference, but I did ask, and this was all he said.

Full transcript:

http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2003masterscup/111103CM.html

Andres
04-26-2005, 07:29 PM
I had the chance to speak with Rafa Nadal in ATP Buenos Aires, and he said he's a right-handed man, who plays left-handed. He got some advices from his uncle, and started playing left handed when he was like 6 years old. He said his uncle thought playing lefty would be an advantage...

Noelle
04-26-2005, 07:41 PM
I think in some articles about Sharapova, she was said to be ambidextrous and nearly began to play left-handed. Maybe her right side is just a teensy bit more dominant than the left. She still can pull out that left-handed forehand when needed, though.

As for Moya, he doesn't hit a great backhand because he rarely hits backhands at all. It's all in the practice, y'all. :)

krp312
04-26-2005, 08:02 PM
What exactly constitutes a naturally left or right inclined person? Their writing hand? Throwing hand?

I'm still young... Maybe I should switch? Nahh.. Maybe? Yeah! Nahh... I don't know. If I'm not tapping my full potential, I should switch.

I'm right-handed in tennis and I have to say that from batting left handed in baseball (or any type of swinging-a-stick sport) has helped me with my backhand. Getting decent at the backhand was easier for me. Learning the forehand took longer but it was also not that bad because I consider the forehand to be the easier shot of the two. BUT, if I should be playing with a lefty forehand--man, that'd really induce some practice time and getting used to!

This is me:
write - left
throw - left
bat (in baseball) - left
basketball (shooting hand) - right
tennis - right
guitar + other instruments - right

Someone earlier spoke of schools in the past forcing natural lefties to learn things right-handed... I read a book on it and psychologists say that those who are taught against their natural left/right tendency become crazy ****s.

The end.

Chloe
04-26-2005, 08:07 PM
What exactly constitutes a naturally left or right inclined person? Their writing hand? Throwing hand?

People generally mean the writing hand, but I'm not sure what offically constitutes handedness. The thing is that most people use one hand for most things, so going by the writing hand is a pretty good guide, even if that isn't errr.... "official". I can't say that I"ve ever actually studied handedness. I did read a book about evil lefties once though. Good stuff, that.

I use different hands for different activities as well. I'll summarize my own for comparison. And because I like to talk about myself. Mainly the latter.

write - left. Me right handed writing is acceptable but slow and deliberate.
throw - either
bat (in baseball) - left, but can bat right as well
basketball (shooting hand) - left
tennis - left
guitar + other instruments - left

golf: left
bowling: right

I'm all kinds of wacky.

krp312
04-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Oh yeah! I forgot about golf and bowling.. and yes, I love to talk about myself too! Haha, no, I kid--I think.

Let me redo myself including golf and bowling. It'll just confuse you more.write - left
throw - left
batting - left
basketball - right
tennis - right
guitar + other instruments - right
golf - right
bowling - left
soccer - right

Handedness is a mind-boggling thing. I ponder sometimes that if I were to try harder, I could switch my handedness to be effective--like in baseball for example. Oh whatever.

Still, the burning question... Should I give a shot at left-handed tennis?

joeman957
04-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Man I wish I was ambidextrous...

Right hand - everything
Left hand - absolutely nothing, except for tossing the tennis ball up to serve.

Andres
04-26-2005, 08:35 PM
I was born lefty, then, in school, I became righty.
I switch hands twice then. Due to several shoulder injuries i got in 2003, i became lefty again... now i'm becoming righty... agaaaain...
So i can say pretty sure i'm ambidextrus. I can do things exactly the same with both hands... but I write righty and I play tennis and basketball lefty.

scoot
04-26-2005, 08:45 PM

I was always told it was the hand with which you masturbate? :confused:

krp312
04-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Then I'm A Lefty!

Chloe
04-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Part of the reason I'm ambidextrous is that I had wrist injuries when I was 12-14 as a result of gymastics. There was so much swelling in the left wrist that I couldn't bend it at all for some periods of time. As you can imagine, writing was fun. I might have switched some things to the right hand as a result of that, I'm not entirely sure. I used to do everything left handed when i was younger. I remember not being able to even cut right. Now it feels wrong to cut left.

edge
04-26-2005, 09:43 PM
My son is ambidexterous. When he was 6, he use to eat with either hand and threw a baseball with either hand. The teachers said not to force either because he would ultimately gravitate to one side. His mother was a natural lefty forced to righty in catholic schools. My son is a nationally ranked righty player. In other sports he plays:

shoots basketball- righty
dribbles basketball- lefty
soccer kicks- left footed
lacrosse shoots- lefty
throws baseball- righty, switch hitter
twist bottle cap off- with left hand

If I had known that his interest in tennis would have come so far, I definitely would have started him off lefty! There's another kid who serves righty but switches to a lefty forehand and he's a S&V'er, how weird?!

activentures
04-27-2005, 12:28 AM
It used to be common to make people use their right hand for everything, writing included. I hear that in some parts of the world this is still custom. Lefties are/were considered "evil". It's the devil hand! No, really. I'm not making this up. If I could make things this absurd up I'd be writing books not writing on forums.

Lefties are evil. Especially serving to the Ad Court!! ;)

ShooterMcMarco
04-27-2005, 12:57 AM
dribbles basketball- lefty
lacrosse shoots- lefty
throws baseball- righty, switch hitter
twist bottle cap off- with left hand

heres me:

dribbles basketball- righty
lacrosse shoots- i don't play lacrosse
throws baseball- righty, but bats left
twist bottle cap off- with right hand
tennis- right

but i write with my left hand

raftermania
04-27-2005, 01:17 AM
Hey SMM, next time you come in for your PPU diagnostics, I'll have to modify your CMOS. I swear I had your writing hand set to "r."

A lefty in a group lesson full of righties is a pain. Teaching tennis to righties is even more of a pain!!!

Chloe
04-27-2005, 01:26 AM
The good thing about being left handed in a group of righties was that whenever we had pairs drills, the instuctor often just hit with me to spare anybody else the confusion.

ShooterMcMarco
04-27-2005, 01:55 AM
Hey SMM, next time you come in for your PPU diagnostics, I'll have to modify your CMOS. I swear I had your writing hand set to "r."

A lefty in a group lesson full of righties is a pain. Teaching tennis to righties is even more of a pain!!!

Roger that (no pun intended).

so i guess teaching tennis to righties is a pain in your right buttcheek, or your left buttcheek?

:D

RedGinseng
04-27-2005, 02:14 AM
I'm a lefty but play with my right hand. Left means/meant wrong in some countries. When I was a kid, I did everything, with my left hand. My parents didn't care too much about me using my left hand but my grandmother always scolded me for using it. When I was in elementary school, I started to take tennis lessons and the coach taught me to use my right hand. I still do everything with my left hand but when I play tennis, I use my right hand.

Ben42
04-27-2005, 07:30 AM
The latin word for left is "sinister" hence the left=evil thing.

I'm lefty and do pretty much everything lefty. Tennis, baseball, basketball, guitar, that um other thing someone else mentioned :-). Except scissors. I could never get the hand of those stupid lefty scissors.

But I'm right footed.

raftermania
04-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Roger that (no pun intended).

so i guess teaching tennis to righties is a pain in your right buttcheek, or your left buttcheek?

:D

Well actually, it usually hurts in the groin because when I start feeding them balls they forget about the pylons and they aim for me!