PDA

View Full Version : Losing Weight, but not much body fat?

jman
01-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Hey guys, just putting a question out there to all the gurus. I'm a 5'10" male who used to weigh 187lbs, and 15% body fat. I go to the gym, and recently have been taking in less calories. I weighed myself recently and now at 174lbs and 13.3% body fat.
My question is; I would like to maintain my weight around 176lbs, but would like my body fat% around the 9%-10% mark. How can I achieve this while maintaining 176lbs?

P.S: My exercise regime includes working out 3 times a week, low weights, high reps. On my days off, I do 20-30mins of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) training. As fo my diet, I eat breakfast like a King (oatmeal, weetbix, musli, protein shakes), Lunch (medium carb, salad, protein) like a prince, and Dinner as a pauper (mainly protein and salad).

malakas
01-23-2010, 01:44 AM
you want to maintain your weight but lose only body fat?Well that's virtually impossible.What you will have to do,is lose weight=fat and some muscles and then eat a lot and gain weight which will be mostly muscles.

When you lose weight it's inevitable that you lose both fat and muscles.But depending on your regime(lots of protein,weights and exercise) you can limit the muscle you lose.

jman
01-23-2010, 01:53 AM
O.K, thanks for the quick response.
The only thing every week, same time, same day, I weigh myself, and in November 2009 I was 180lbs and 11.1% body fat. This was when i did heavier weights, and low reps? I dunno, my body must be weird.
But, thanks, it makes sense what you say. I don't really want to go below the 165lbs, it's just too skinny for me.

malakas
01-23-2010, 02:06 AM
You know this has mostly to do with your diet.How many cals do you eat every day and what's about the % of protein?Diet is the most important factor when it comes to weight and body composition.

No matter the % of protein you won't be able though to get any weight (fat OR muscles) if your cals are not enough because your body will be on catabolism.So if you want to get weight better raise the cals!

jman
01-23-2010, 02:14 AM
Yeah, I don't really count my cals. I just try to incorporate healthy amounts of protein and carbs into my meals. But of late, I haven't really eaten much meat like chicken or beef. It's mostly been tuna/salmon and some tofu. Wow, kinda just realized I'm kinda turning into a vegetarian.

malakas
01-23-2010, 02:17 AM
start counting!I bet you eat very little.
Use this :http://www.phord.com/cc/index.php

jman
01-23-2010, 02:21 AM
Whoa, thanks man.
That's really helpful!

charliefedererer
01-23-2010, 06:21 AM
you want to maintain your weight but lose only body fat?Well that's virtually impossible.What you will have to do,is lose weight=fat and some muscles and then eat a lot and gain weight which will be mostly muscles.

When you lose weight it's inevitable that you lose both fat and muscles.But depending on your regime(lots of protein,weights and exercise) you can limit the muscle you lose.

You've almost got it right here, and maybe your intention was right, but the words here are a little misleading.

Jman, if you want to maintain your weight but lose body fat you will have to do that by building more muscle. That means heavier weights, and a process that will take you months.

But Jman, 174 pounds at 5'10" is heavy for a tennis player, unless you have a really big frame. Tennis involves a ton of running, and since you are posting on a tennis forum, I assume your main goal is to be a better tennis player. If that is indeed your goal, the best advice to you would simply be to lose 10 pounds by eating less. (You may end up gaining back a couple more pounds of muscle over time, but you have to really work hard to gain real muscle weight.)

charliefedererer
01-23-2010, 06:31 AM
Yeah, I don't really count my cals. I just try to incorporate healthy amounts of protein and carbs into my meals. But of late, I haven't really eaten much meat like chicken or beef. It's mostly been tuna/salmon and some tofu. Wow, kinda just realized I'm kinda turning into a vegetarian.

Your approach to diet sounds very sensible to me.

Realistically, you have to realize that even with heavy workouts you are only going to gain a couple ounces of muscle a week. That means eating a lot more protein than you are currently doing will only result in your body eliminating that excess protein. Your body is not going to make any more muscle than if you just take in the minimal required. And it sounds like you are already doing that.

And you can lose weight while maintaining muscle. Just keep working out and skip any junk food or any sugary drinks and your excess body fat will slowly disappear. You can take the analytical approach of counting every calorie and ounce of protein. But you should be able to do just as well watching what you eat, and weighing yourself periodically as an outcome measure, rather than trying to master the imperfect art of calorie counting. (You may want to try it for a while just to see how much you really are taking in.)

jman
01-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Jman, if you want to maintain your weight but lose body fat you will have to do that by building more muscle. That means heavier weights, and a process that will take you months.

But Jman, 174 pounds at 5'10" is heavy for a tennis player, unless you have a really big frame.

Is 174lbs really heavy for my height? I thought that was getting too light. I use to weigh 164lbs, but that was back in my teenage years. I guess you could say I have a big frame, very wide shoulders.
But the main reason I wanna do all this. aswell as being a better tennis player, is to show some muscle definition, which I've never really had before.
But really appreciate your input. You have reassured me, and I'll probably continue to lose weight to 164lbs as a minimum. Then I'll pick it up with high weight/ low reps to build muscle and maintain body fat. Does this sound reasonable?

(You may want to try it for a while just to see how much you really are taking in.)

It would be interesting to see how much I'm taking in. I might try it for a while, but I'm not really into all the technical jumbo with dieting.

Memnoch
01-23-2010, 02:28 PM
you could try using a rubber band to work out.
That would work on your explosiveness and probably get you more defined muscles and less fat.

r2473
01-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Hey guys, just putting a question out there to all the gurus. I'm a 5'10" male who used to weigh 187lbs, and 15% body fat. I go to the gym, and recently have been taking in less calories. I weighed myself recently and now at 174lbs and 13.3% body fat.

Just curious, how did you measure your bodyfat?

At 5'10, I would guess your untrained Lean Body Mass (LBM) to be around 145 lbs. When you weighed 187, your LBM was 159 lbs. An extra 15 pounds of muscle is a lot. You must have looked really big.

Shame that while dieting you lost a whopping 8 pounds of LBM. On the bright side, you are still much more muscular than most people and still must look pretty muscular considering your relatively low bf.

My suggestion is you "ratchet" your bodyfat numbers down. Instead of saying your are 13.3% bf, instead claim 8% bf. (It's kind of like saying you play 5.0 tennis when you are a 4.0 park hack). By doing this, you will magically retain that extra 15 pounds of muscle and lower your bodyfat at the same time (WIN, WIN).

Take my advice, this is how most people achieve their lofty fitness goals. It can be done in no time, requires no effort, and makes you feel "oh so good".

Hoffer
01-23-2010, 04:52 PM
In bodybuilding what you are trying to do are called a “cutting phase” and “gaining phase” but your trying to do it at the same time, almost impossible and you should get quicker results if you do them one at a time. If you do cardio to burn fat is will be almost impossible for your body to not also eat some muscle for energy. As some others posted, really buckle down on your diet and you should get the results you want. If you have a high protein intake it will help you to gain lean muscle mass from your workouts. I would suggest trying to add a lot of green vegetables and lean white meats like chicken and turkey to your diet if you have not done so already.

jman
01-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Just curious, how did you measure your bodyfat?

I measured it with a tanita Ironman Body Composition Monitor (athletic mode).

At 5'10, I would guess your untrained Lean Body Mass (LBM) to be around 145 lbs. When you weighed 187, your LBM was 159 lbs. An extra 15 pounds of muscle is a lot. You must have looked really big.

When I was 187lbs my LBM (muscle mass?) was about 150 lbs. My LBM now is 143 lbs. I thought I looked fine, but people always commentated I looked like a tank?

My suggestion is you "ratchet" your bodyfat numbers down. Instead of saying your are 13.3% bf, instead claim 8% bf. (It's kind of like saying you play 5.0 tennis when you are a 4.0 park hack). By doing this, you will magically retain that extra 15 pounds of muscle and lower your bodyfat at the same time (WIN, WIN).

Take my advice, this is how most people achieve their lofty fitness goals. It can be done in no time, requires no effort, and makes you feel "oh so good".

So your saying to change my mindset? More phycological than physical? Does this really work?
Thanks! So much info which i found helpful.

In bodybuilding what you are trying to do are called a “cutting phase” and “gaining phase” but your trying to do it at the same time, almost impossible and you should get quicker results if you do them one at a time. If you do cardio to burn fat is will be almost impossible for your body to not also eat some muscle for energy. As some others posted, really buckle down on your diet and you should get the results you want. If you have a high protein intake it will help you to gain lean muscle mass from your workouts. I would suggest trying to add a lot of green vegetables and lean white meats like chicken and turkey to your diet if you have not done so already.

So would focusing on losing weight to about 165lbs first, be appropiate, then focus on adding lean muscle (more weight work, less cardio), to achieve my goal?

mark999
01-23-2010, 07:00 PM
My question is; I would like to maintain my weight around 176lbs, but would like my body fat% around the 9%-10% mark. How can I achieve this while maintaining 176lbs?

P.S: My exercise regime includes working out 3 times a week, low weights, high reps. On my days off, I do 20-30mins of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) training. As fo my diet, I eat breakfast like a King (oatmeal, weetbix, musli, protein shakes), Lunch (medium carb, salad, protein) like a prince, and Dinner as a pauper (mainly protein and salad).

according to yogic theory, do not eat like a king for breakfast. make your lunch your largest meal of the day. eat a light dinner. john douillard's book - body, mind, and spirit has an excellent description of correct eating habits. he trains triathlon athletes for a living. martina navratolva is a big believer in his system.

r2473
01-23-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm a 5'10" male who used to weigh 187lbs, and 15% body fat. I go to the gym, and recently have been taking in less calories. I weighed myself recently and now at 174lbs and 13.3% body fat.

When I was 187lbs my LBM (muscle mass?) was about 150 lbs. My LBM now is 143 lbs.

First work on your basic mathematics before working on your fitness.

So your saying to change my mindset? More phycological than physical? Does this really work?
Thanks! So much info which i found helpful.

The key to getting in shape is randomly choosing your bodyfat (most people randomly claim 10%). You definitely have the basic idea, but you need to move in the other direction.

jman
01-23-2010, 09:18 PM
First work on your basic mathematics before working on your fitness.

Yeah, sorry, i was converting kgs to lbs, roughly guessing :oops:

cncretecwbo
01-24-2010, 11:44 AM
But Jman, 174 pounds at 5'10" is heavy for a tennis player, unless you have a really big frame.

not really... its just whatever works best for you. I know guys 5'8 and 175 who are incredible tennis players

West Coast Ace
01-24-2010, 12:05 PM
not really... its just whatever works best for you. I know guys 5'8 and 175 who are incredible tennis playersI agree - without knowing if the OP is an endo, ecto, or mesmo that's a shot in the dark.

Good stuff on this thread. I got down to 9% for a while - hard to maintain with a real job (55hrs + per week) - and now am back into the mid 10's. While I think malakas' idea of calorie counting is worth a shot, I agree more with CharlieFed - it's common sense - everyone knows what goes into their body and what's the good stuff and what isn't. For me: breakfast is a protein shake and fruit; lunch is a chicken sandwich; dinner is salmon, trout, or tuna and veggies. Cut out the starches. Drink a lot of water. I just love sweets - so it's a 4 pack for me - the 6 is just too tough.

junbumkim
01-25-2010, 08:28 AM
13% of 174lb is roughly 22lb and 10% of 174lb is roughly 17lb.
That's 5 lb difference.

Muscles will get bigger only if you used them. In other words, unless you start lifting heavier weights, it's not going to get bigger.

Also, it turns out that you really dont need more protein than your daily recommneded serving. Extra protein will become FAT.

To go down in body fat percentage, you will have to do cardio.

To me, it seems like it will be really difficult to do this unless you were really methodical about calories you burn and take in as well as type of exercises you do.