PDA

View Full Version : Lead taping and the Prestige vs. the Radical: questions!

Pirc Defense
04-26-2005, 12:05 PM
I demo'd the Head LM Prestige and loved the feel and weight from the baseline. I decided to buy the Radical, however, because I felt it offered more spin. I want to add some weight to my Radical to get it to feel more like the Prestige. Where do I add the tape? Here are the important specs:

Prestige: strung weight = 12.3 oz., 7 pts. head-light, and swingweight of 340.

Radical: strung weight = 11.2 oz., 4 pts. head-light, and swingweight of 325.

I want to bring the Radical up to the Prestige's overall weight, but I also want to keep the same basic feel that the Prestige had. I don't know how swingweight and balance are related, but was hoping someone could suggest where I should add the tape to bring the Rad up to the Pres'. specs. Thanks!

MChong
04-26-2005, 01:31 PM
I don't think you should make it match specs with the Prestige becuase it still wouldn't play like one. But from those specs, it seems like you'd have to add a little bit of lead to the handle for the head-light balance, maybe even some around the hoop.

GRANITECHIEF
04-26-2005, 02:34 PM
A place to start would be as follows; Add 1.1 oz of lead tape total. Add 0.75 oz under your grip and split the rest between the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. If you want it more head light take weight off 3-9 a tiny bit at a time.

kinsella
04-27-2005, 05:49 AM
By the time you get the weight up to Prestige levels, you will have a much more powerful racquet than the Prestige, because the Radical is stiffer.

Having said that, I put 8g under the grip and 2g on each of the silver LM spots (total 16g) and the stability of the Radical was much better. It had a similar weight and balance to the Prestige, but hit a lot different. The Radical has a more responsive upper half than does the Prestige, which is very helpful on serves.

Pirc Defense
04-27-2005, 12:40 PM
OK. Thanks for the advice. Good to know that the extra stiffness will make it perhaps too powerful at the same weight.