PDA

View Full Version : Full bed of gut at 68 lbs

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
01-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Im a 4.0-4.5 righty who uses a good amount of spin on my forehand with with good pace. I usually aim for within 2 feet of the baseline with my rally shots. My backhand is usually super flat (which i kind of dont like), my technique just makes it that way. I like to vary my serves, I usually hit my topspin serves at around 80-85 mph and my flat serves around the mid 90's.

I have tried a hybrid of gut mains with pro red code crosses, and it has been great, but after a couple hitting sessions, the crosses become too loose and i lose the ability to swing out.

I use a volkl pb10 mid. I used pacific classic for my gut. I am hoping that 68 lbs will give me the spin and control along with some power that i need to play my game. I probably will hit today so i will be back to give a formal review

gflyer
01-23-2010, 05:50 AM
I am a similar player. 4.5 aggressive baseliner. But I hit with moderate spin on both wings.
I have always played with poly in the range of 54lb.
Because of arm problems I switched to full gut (tonic+ at the moment).
I strung it at 60x60. I was a little concerned about control but I was wrong. I've never been so happy with a string. Of course I had to adjust a little but the feel is amazing. The power excellent.
I hope you will like full gut.
Please, report back with your comments.
cheers,
g

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
01-23-2010, 07:17 AM
This is my review of gut at 68 lbs.
I absolutely hated it. No feel, all the balls were flying, no spin. super stiff.
miserable. After doing a hybrid of prc and gut, it was good, but only lasted 10 hours before it went dead. Im thinking of going full poly so i can really swing out and have more spin. Goodbye gut. nice knowing ya

i just think my game doesnt fit well with gut. I hit pretty deep, but need my spin to keep it in. the gut doesnt give me that and so my balls fly. almost all my balls were 2 feet out.

Standupnfall
01-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Dont give up on the gut yet.
It should give you plenty of spin. I prefer gut at 62 and only use VS

ClubHoUno
01-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Try some 'real' natty gut next time - Babolat VS Team 17 :D

You gotto learn how to play with natty gut - don't expect to hit the same way as with poly.

It's like thinking you can drive your Toyota Corolla the same way you drive a Formula 1 800 horsepower car :(

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
01-23-2010, 03:44 PM
I have tried 4 different set ups with gut, even hybriding it with a poly cross. It does not work, it trampolines and i cannot swing fully. if i do, if misses the baseline. Ill go with big banger 18

ClubHoUno
01-23-2010, 03:47 PM
I have tried 4 different set ups with gut, even hybriding it with a poly cross. It does not work, it trampolines and i cannot swing fully. if i do, if misses the baseline. Ill go with big banger 18

So try poly mains and gut crosses like 75% of the pros do - you may like it, even though I find gut in the crosses only is a waste :oops:

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
01-23-2010, 04:07 PM
i feel that way too.
btw, i see a lot of stores are selling lux adrenaline. is it that they have it in stock? or do they just show the string to show they will have it

plumcrazy
01-23-2010, 04:15 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Hybrid_Hurricane_Tour_VS_17_String_/descpageACBAB-BPHTVS17.html

If I had the money, this ^^^^ would be my setup. Best string I've hit with. Try it out. For now I'll just stick with my cheap Pro Hurricane because of the money thing.

ClubHoUno
01-23-2010, 06:15 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Hybrid_Hurricane_Tour_VS_17_String_/descpageACBAB-BPHTVS17.html

If I had the money, this ^^^^ would be my setup. Best string I've hit with. Try it out. For now I'll just stick with my cheap Pro Hurricane because of the money thing.

I play with this setup as my regular go to hybrid.

I just much prefer Signum pro Hyperion to Pro Hurricane Tour, which I think is very poor string :oops: - so have sold all the Pro Hurricane Tour I had and bought a reel of Hyperion, my favorite smooth copoly as cross string in hybrid with Babolat VS Team 17 :D

It plays awesome - just bought 20 sets of Babolat VS Team 17, so I have enough natty gut for the entire season :)

TearSNFX
01-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Don't blame the strings too much, focus on what you did wrong not what the strings did wrong.

You're exactly like my cousin... he was ranked 600 when he was striving to improve himself and then he started blaming his racquet, the strings, then shoes, then this and that, and ended up not even in the 1500's

You said it lasted 10 hours before it went dead? I pop my strings in 2 ~ 4 hours of play. Change your strings frequently.

" all the balls were flying, no spin. super stiff "

Well you should have known at 68lb you would get a wooden paddle, and if you're timing isn't good enough it won't stay in.

Sounds to me like you need humble yourself a bit and take yourself back to basics. You're getting too technical for your own good.

I recommend you get a reel of cheap but good strings; example, Polylon SP 17 gauge and OG Micro 17 Syn Gut. Poly Main / Syn Gut Cross.

Start @ 50lb and work your way up. @ $3.50 or so per set this is a steal.

By the way this is the setup my cousin was using at the time he was ranked 600.

Same strings as above but @ 42lb

parasailing
01-23-2010, 08:32 PM

just bought 20 sets of Babolat VS Team 17, so I have enough natty gut for the entire season :)

Did you get a good discount for buying so many sets of the VS 17?

ClubHoUno
01-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Did you get a good discount for buying so many sets of the VS 17?

Yeahhh.... I got 15% discount - pretty good :D

[d]ragon
01-23-2010, 09:41 PM
What, you didn't think going from 60/55 to 68 wouldn't be super stiff?

parasailing
01-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Yeahhh.... I got 15% discount - pretty good :D

I also agree VS gut is the best but haven't had a chance to try 17g VS yet. Is it really that much better than VS 16g?

plumcrazy
01-24-2010, 04:58 AM

I just much prefer Signum pro Hyperion to Pro Hurricane Tour, which I think is very poor string :oops: - so have sold all the Pro Hurricane Tour I had and bought a reel of Hyperion, my favorite smooth copoly as cross string in hybrid with Babolat VS Team 17 :D

It plays awesome - just bought 20 sets of Babolat VS Team 17, so I have enough natty gut for the entire season :)

I don't play with the tour. I play with the original Hurricane. I strung my racquet with full tour and it was terrible. Full bed of the original is great for me.

ClubHoUno
01-24-2010, 11:23 AM
I also agree VS gut is the best but haven't had a chance to try 17g VS yet. Is it really that much better than VS 16g?

YES! it is :D

The VS Touch 16 is a great awesome string, but the VS Team 17 just plays that more crisp and with extra spin and feel in my view.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
01-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Don't blame the strings too much, focus on what you did wrong not what the strings did wrong.

You're exactly like my cousin... he was ranked 600 when he was striving to improve himself and then he started blaming his racquet, the strings, then shoes, then this and that, and ended up not even in the 1500's

You said it lasted 10 hours before it went dead? I pop my strings in 2 ~ 4 hours of play. Change your strings frequently.

" all the balls were flying, no spin. super stiff "

Well you should have known at 68lb you would get a wooden paddle, and if you're timing isn't good enough it won't stay in.

Sounds to me like you need humble yourself a bit and take yourself back to basics. You're getting too technical for your own good.

I recommend you get a reel of cheap but good strings; example, Polylon SP 17 gauge and OG Micro 17 Syn Gut. Poly Main / Syn Gut Cross.

Start @ 50lb and work your way up. @ $3.50 or so per set this is a steal.

By the way this is the setup my cousin was using at the time he was ranked 600.

Same strings as above but @ 42lb

I used gut at 68, considering i have a flexy racket, i assumed it wouldnt be stiff. since my hybrid of poly and gut at 60/55 was still too much power. Dont act like I dont know what im doing.
I admit my backhand has its on and off days, but my forehands flying out by at least 3 feet on almost every shot for 2 hours is not just my techinque.

01-24-2010, 12:14 PM
YES! it is :D

The VS Touch 16 is a great awesome string, but the VS Team 17 just plays that more crisp and with extra spin and feel in my view.

I'll second this, but feel the difference between the too gauges is more noticable in a 18x20 racket. In a 16x19 racket the VS Touch is a-ok with me.

TearSNFX
01-24-2010, 05:11 PM
I used gut at 68, considering i have a flexy racket, i assumed it wouldnt be stiff. since my hybrid of poly and gut at 60/55 was still too much power. Dont act like I dont know what im doing.
I admit my backhand has its on and off days, but my forehands flying out by at least 3 feet on almost every shot for 2 hours is not just my techinque.

All you're doing is making excuses without even letting yourself adjust to it.

I'll give you an example of an instance where I customized a racquet for a student who just could not hit the sweet spot on his racquet so I moved his sweet spot up. He said it felt weird and different and asked me to try different settings. I told him to stick with it for 4 sessions and then I'll switch. On our 2nd session he was able to adjust to the customization and started hitting deeper and heavier balls. He has yet to request a re setting of his racquet till this date.

Let yourself get used to something. Trying something ONCE is not enough to figure out what works.

" Dont act like I don't know what I'm doing... "

If you can't even get a forehand in the court because the tension of your strings changed. It's fair for me to assume that you don't know what you're doing.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
01-24-2010, 07:12 PM
I understand that using it once and giving up on it is not right, but ive been trying diferent combos of gut and im not comfortable with it. It feels to much like a trampoline. I cant really swing out, even with a poly in the crosses. I might try out xcel power, and big banger ace 18g

scotus
01-24-2010, 09:20 PM
I am a long time gut user, and I know what you mean by the trampoline effect.

Two ways of dealing with it without adjusting your technique are: higher tension and prestretching.

I personally do not like prestretching it, but it seems like you just might.

I just play my VS Team at 72 lbs constant pull. And yes, I can swing out.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
01-25-2010, 03:26 AM
well, i hae strung mt gut at 68 on a mid, and it still was flying. I was also using a cp.
Since classic is stiffer than vs, i think its about even.
Maybe my game just doesnt fit well with gut