PDA

View Full Version : The Yamaha Secret 04

SirSweetSpot
01-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Well it was time to string up this beauty again and I had a hit with it for the first time in months. I now realize why I believe this is the greatest racquet ever manufactured. My volleys, crisp and concise, the personification of precision, the truest blend of power and finesse rolled into one charcoal colored weapon.

First serves, don't even get me started, as opponents all day long were watching yellow comets scream past them, the stiffness of the bat providing brutal accuracy and instilling deadly confidence. Years of wielding this bat allowing me to grip the juicy 4 5/8 grip and still provide plenty of whip on the racquet head.

Second serves, when I actually had to hit them, were a force to be reckoned with. This unique, rare, beautiful racquet that allows me to think 2 or 3 strokes ahead to set up the point, allows me to pull the plug on my opposotion at will, and allows me the chance to stick volleys from no mans land into the corners.

Yamaha Secret...how I love thee. I'm sorry I've left you in my bag for so long. I shall never do it again! In fact you're my number one stick again. So long K95, ciao Head Radical, saya ******* NARA cache of Dunlop Aerogel 200's.:)

coachrick
01-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Don't forget the bag of ice for your elbow :)

jrod
01-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Don't forget the bag of ice for your elbow :)

Wasn't this one of the stiffest frames ever made? I recall playing with it for about 9 months and developing the worst case of TE you can imagine....couldn't even pick up a cup of coffee.

Edit: I found this from an old post:

TENNIS RACQUET SPECIFICATION TABLE
Brand: Yamaha Secret-04 Racquet
Short Description: Players with big ground strokes will appreciate the frame’s solid and predictable performance. Yet it also delivers nice touch on volleys and a comfortable overall playability. Its design and construction make the racquet surprisingly quiet with little shock or vibration.
(1988 Tennis Magazine)
Head Size: 100 in2 / 645 cm2
Length: 27 in / 686 mm
Unstrung Weight: 12.3 oz / 350 g
Unstrung Balance: 6 pts HL / 315 mm
Composition: High Modulus Graphite / Hi-Resonant Frame Design
Beam Width: 25 mm Straight Beam
Power Level: Medium – High
Stiffness: 81 (Very Firm)
Swing Type: Moderate - Fast
Swing Weight: 327
String Pattern: 16 mains / 18 crosses
Grip Type: Yamaha synthetic grip
String Tension: 50 - 60 lbs / 22.7 – 27.2 kg recommended

SirSweetSpot
01-23-2010, 08:55 AM
That 81 stiffness is what makes it so special. It's such a well designed frame that the shock isn't jarring to the arm. I would never use poly in this racquet, even though I wanted to so badly sometimes in order to tame the power a little bit. OTOH, I thought it was more than 6 points headlight to be honest, I thought it was more in the 10 point range, but I have lead in the handle and overgrip, and there's no need to lead up the hoop.

Also, for a coach I can't imagine a better feeding racquet.

Also returning blistering serves is very fun with this racquet.

If Yamaha would have continued to manufacture racquets can you imagine what they would have come up with? They'd be far and away the best.

jrod
01-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Sorry but I have to disagree with you on the jarring part. My TE was the worst I've ever had with this frame. I realize that most of this was technique related, but if your technique isn't flawless this frame IS jarring...and dangerous to your health.

SirSweetSpot
01-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Hence the label from the Surgeon General of Tennis that states on the sticker located on the throat, "Please use the Yamaha Secret at your own risk for this racquet has been known to destroy lives!" :)

I remember being a junior and using this racquet and waking up the next morning with a bruise the size of a softball on my hitting arm right between the bicep and the shoulder after practicing serve for like 3 hours straight.

Hey let's be honest here, the racquet is not for everybody. There's just something about it, something so magical and mysterious, something so enigmatic.

Let's hear from the players who still wield the mighty Secret 04!:twisted:

Don't Let It Bounce
01-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Sorry but I have to disagree with you on the jarring part. My TE was the worst I've ever had with this frame. I realize that most of this was technique related, but if your technique isn't flawless this frame IS jarring...and dangerous to your health.A matter of degree. True, the stiffness does the elbow no favors, but it is mitigated to some degree by the weight of the racquet. (That's not enough mitigation for my elbow, either, but it beats the stiff+light Hammers that I used to wreck my elbow in the first place!)

I have a Secret 06, only slightly less stiff (78, I think), and I have noticed that while choirs of angels break into song over the sweetness of contact in the center of the strings, it is decidedly less sweet at the top of the frame. Is this true of the 04 too?

SirSweetSpot
01-23-2010, 02:40 PM
^^I've never been fortunate to hit with the 06. Reminds me of the time 3 months ago when I saw a 06 for 11 bucks at the PIAS. I ran to my car to get to an ATM to withdraw some cash to purchase it, thinking nobody would know what that racquet is or would buy it. Lo and behold, 10 minutes later it was GONE.

Should have just gave it to the guy working there and had him hold it for me.:oops:

Dave M
01-24-2010, 02:26 PM
I have an 06 i got it when Yamaha pulled out of the UK, i think i was 12, quite a frame for those very early 90s times!Still got it recently added a proto 02 to it, similar but with a tapered head.Neither suitable for poly though i'd agree with the above!!

rknrolla
02-18-2010, 01:52 PM
it is definitely true of the 04. if you hit it hard off center thats what makes the rackets prone to crack so easy. ive done it many a time... =(

A matter of degree. True, the stiffness does the elbow no favors, but it is mitigated to some degree by the weight of the racquet. (That's not enough mitigation for my elbow, either, but it beats the stiff+light Hammers that I used to wreck my elbow in the first place!)

I have a Secret 06, only slightly less stiff (78, I think), and I have noticed that while choirs of angels break into song over the sweetness of contact in the center of the strings, it is decidedly less sweet at the top of the frame. Is this true of the 04 too?

khw72004
02-18-2010, 04:12 PM
I still use the Secret 04 from time to time. It has the most incredible feel but was just too powerful for me. I wasn't able to home my serves in, but I remember the extra speed it gave me.

I like using it to rally when I am lazy, the extra power let me slack off and the feel kept me going.

It didn't ever give me tennis elbow. But if it wasn't for my serves flying inches out every time I might use this as my main stick

rknrolla
02-19-2010, 10:43 AM
these were my fave frames of all time. i have 2 secret 04s, secret 06, and secret ex-97s all in top shape near mint if anyones interested by the way... message me! theelectricdream at yahoo dot com

charliefedererer
02-19-2010, 11:02 AM
What a sweet stick to just pulverize the ball. Nothing feels like it when hitting aces and cracking flat forehand winners. When you hit the ball just right it is like hurling thunderbolts.

Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible not to have a lot of unforced errors due to its power. How hard it was to admit this and put it aside, except for an occasional hit. It sounds like it was a good thing I did this before I had jrod's tennis elbow.

Don't Let It Bounce
02-19-2010, 02:27 PM
There's just something about the 04, isn't there? There are other racquets even stiffer and more powerful (e.g., the Profile), but the 04's mystique goes beyond its stiffness, power, and unique good looks. Even on TT, a forum dominated by the love of smaller-headed, flexible player's frames, I notice the 04 is spoken of with reverence.

Some of these posts I find tremendously entertaining. On another thread someone mused that Yamaha must surely have had access to alien technology to make the 04. Someone else lamented that he had to stop using it due to complaints from his tennis club: his first serves were leaving potholes on the courts!

retrowagen
02-19-2010, 02:51 PM
"Secret. Strong enough for a man, gentle enough for a woman."

SirSweetSpot
02-20-2010, 02:31 PM
There's just something about the 04, isn't there? There are other racquets even stiffer and more powerful (e.g., the Profile), but the 04's mystique goes beyond its stiffness, power, and unique good looks. Even on TT, a forum dominated by the love of smaller-headed, flexible player's frames, I notice the 04 is spoken of with reverence.

Some of these posts I find tremendously entertaining. On another thread someone mused that Yamaha must surely have had access to alien technology to make the 04. Someone else lamented that he had to stop using it due to complaints from his tennis club: his first serves were leaving potholes on the courts!

BWAHAHAHA:)

There does seem to be an "alien quality" to it. Maybe a large cache was rediscovered by a tennis fanatic who works at Area 51.

It can be a difficult stick to manipulate, however, it's great for the players who use 2 different racquets...one for service games and one for return games. Making it more headlight did the trick for me.

jimbo333
03-14-2010, 11:56 AM

Well there may be something in that!

The Secret 04 does have an "anti-radar" paintjob after all:)

jimbo333
03-15-2010, 01:53 AM
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the normal Secret 04 and the Secret 04 PRO please?

dekko1
03-15-2010, 05:00 AM
I don't remember ever playing with the Secret 04, but I did play with the Secret EX for a few years. I really loved those racquets!!

Don't Let It Bounce
03-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the normal Secret 04 and the Secret 04 PRO please?I never heard of more than one model of the 04. What have you heard/read about a Pro version?

jimbo333
03-15-2010, 03:56 PM
I never heard of more than one model of the 04. What have you heard/read about a Pro version?

Well here is my New "PRO" version:)

http://i44.tinypic.com/287hnib.jpg

coachrick
03-15-2010, 04:35 PM

Does the other side of the throat show:
noob?
con?
anti?
amateur?

And remember...it is far better to be provalone than antipasto :) .

jimbo333
03-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Does the other side of the throat show:
noob?
con?
anti?
amateur?

And remember...it is far better to be provalone than antipasto :) .

Will check, but possibly "ORP":)

Or maybe "Olympian pre 1988", unless you are East German, or Russian:)

vsbabolat
03-15-2010, 05:48 PM

Mine also says Pro on it.

l1235
05-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Modern equivalent to 04......Roddock GT with 8 grams lead?

kiteboard
05-12-2010, 07:58 AM
I used to play with that stick strung lux bbo at 73lbs.

Don't Let It Bounce
05-12-2010, 01:17 PM
I used to play with that stick strung lux bbo at 73lbs.After removing about 100g of its weight and training yourself to grip the racquet as tightly as possible, I trust.

I was gonna do that, but I couldn't afford a Secret 04 with Lux. So, instead, I slammed my elbow in the car door a few times a week for a couple of years, and while it didn't help my serve nearly as much as a Secret, at least it didn't cost anything.

coachrick
05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
After removing about 100g of its weight and training yourself to grip the racquet as tightly as possible, I trust.

I was gonna do that, but I couldn't afford a Secret 04 with Lux. So, instead, I slammed my elbow in the car door a few times a week for a couple of years, and while it didn't help my serve nearly as much as a Secret, at least it didn't cost anything.

You may have saved a few ear drums, as well :) .

galain
05-12-2010, 10:47 PM
I used to play with that stick strung lux bbo at 73lbs.

Damn dude - that's, well, Don't Let it Bounce has put it better than I could. If there was some way to clone elbows, you'd be in the money!

I always loved the look of this stick, hit with it once and liked the end result but could have sworn my teeth were still rattling 5 minutes later.

SirSweetSpot
05-13-2010, 05:05 AM
I love just holding it, feeling its unearthly aura seep into my fragile human existence. I love just holding it, and staring at it, and contemplating how this fine piece of tennis machinery ever came to exist on Earth. Perhaps Cyberdyne Systems...perhaps not.

If only it was an 18 mm beam..<sigh>...stupid aliens.

kiteboard
05-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Ha, ha. That's funny. This board surprises me sometimes, with the sheer variety. I played also with pdt+ strung at 73lbs for ten years. 20 yrs. with sticks as stiff as my long dead grand pa, with string stiffer than that, at tensions that could snap you like a twig. Now, is there any wonder, why I play with a pt57a? My elbow and shoulder are mere shadows of what they once were. I can't scratch my own back with my right hand. I have trouble wiping my own assssssss.

Don't Let It Bounce
05-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Ha, ha. That's funny. This board surprises me sometimes, with the sheer variety. I played also with pdt+ strung at 73lbs for ten years. 20 yrs. with sticks as stiff as my long dead grand pa, with string stiffer than that, at tensions that could snap you like a twig. Now, is there any wonder, why I play with a pt57a? My elbow and shoulder are mere shadows of what they once were. I can't scratch my own back with my right hand. I have trouble wiping my own assssssss.Sweet! I smacked flat serves for years with Wilson Hammer 2.7's, uncustomized, strung with kevlar. (Not at 73, though, to my unmanful shame.) Eventually my elbow had no choice but to file a restraining order, and it's arm-friendly for me from now on.

pshulam
05-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Now, is there any wonder, why I play with a pt57a? My elbow and shoulder are mere shadows of what they once were. I can't scratch my own back with my right hand.
That's a very valid reason to stay with an arm friendly racket such as the Head PT57A.

olliess
05-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Is it known what the rough spread of RDC stiffness was across the Secret line of racquets? Secret 04-06-10-10II-EX, etc. I know 04 was measured at 81, but other than that the Yamaha "#9 stiffness" is not that helpful.