PDA

View Full Version : Grips that absorb stiffness?...

Ross K
01-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Grips that absorb stiffness, or block it, or otherwise stop those horrible stiff tremors or whatever traveling into the arm/hand, etc... which are the best kind of grips, or combination of grips/overgrips/whatever in ppl's experiences for stifling the stiffness?

I ask because I'm trying out a new frame but am finding it a sometimes a stiff hit (to be specific it's caused pain twinges in the vicinity of my upper outer arm area.) However, I don't want to give it up before I've properly played with it a while (strangely the frame isn't even considered stiff in terms of RA??? )... and btw, the frame has a leather grip (nothing else though on the handle) which I quite like tbh - but aren't leather grips meant to be not very effective stiffness absorbers?

Anyhow, would appreciate any feedback that can recommend good grips or whatever with comfort/preventing stiff tremors getting to the arm being the goal.

Thanks,

R.

Mazilla2219
01-23-2010, 09:44 AM
RossK, if you can find them, try looking for the sorbothane grips. They are discontinued but you may find some laying around. They absorb alot of shock. If you can't find one, the next best thing might be the Gamma gel grip.

Mansewerz
01-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Grips that absorb stiffness, or block it, or otherwise stop those horrible stiff tremors or whatever traveling into the arm/hand, etc... which are the best kind of grips, or combination of grips/overgrips/whatever in ppl's experiences for stifling the stiffness?

I ask because I'm trying out a new frame but am finding it a sometimes a stiff hit (to be specific it's caused pain twinges in the vicinity of my upper outer arm area.) However, I don't want to give it up before I've properly played with it a while (strangely the frame isn't even considered stiff in terms of RA??? )... and btw, the frame has a leather grip (nothing else though on the handle) which I quite like tbh - but aren't leather grips meant to be not very effective stiffness absorbers?

Anyhow, would appreciate any feedback that can recommend good grips or whatever with comfort/preventing stiff tremors getting to the arm being the goal.

Thanks,

R.

A thick replacement grip. Lose the leather and use some lead to do the counter weighting. What frame?

mmaster
01-23-2010, 10:47 AM
i would think a very foamy cushiony grip would be better than leather, but i have heard some people prefer leather for elbow problems. dunno why though.

Ross K
01-23-2010, 12:19 PM
I thought leather was known to not be very effective at neutralizing shock/stiffness? I must say I'm a little reluctant to lose the leather grip as I like how if feels in hand and I'm not really into foamy cushiony grips... lose it though I most certainly will if I can decide on what is effective at absorbing/blocking the stiffness.

Mansewerz - the frame is the YT Rad Pro, which is advertized as having a 58 RA! However, it's a bit complex as the frame seems to have a uniquely variable feel which runs from soft to crisp to firm to pretty damn stiff!... it could also be the cheap synth strings the frame came with?... I'm not quit sure tbh but my arm let me know it found it uncomfortable almost immediately.

R.

mark999
01-23-2010, 02:08 PM
RossK, if you can find them, try looking for the sorbothane grips. They are discontinued but you may find some laying around. They absorb alot of shock. If you can't find one, the next best thing might be the Gamma gel grip.

gosen sorbothane grip can be found at tennis ******. very expensive!

Deodorant
01-23-2010, 04:42 PM
lol add lead to 3/9, stops the insane vibrations that is caused from miss hits that the youtek line carries. i have the yt speed pro at a rating of 70, ive added lead to 3/9 and it helps keep the the vibrations at ease a little better.

alos a grip that is really shock absorbent that ive tried is the gamma hi tech gel grip, very easy on the hand and mushy.

hope i helped.

Ross K
01-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks everyone for helpful suggestions. I shall look into some of your recomendations.

Deodorant - Lead at 3/9 is an option I hadn't considered, but then again the high SW of the Rad Pro might rule that out? And... you say the YT line is known for mad vibrations on mis-hits, but your YT Speed Pro has a stiffness RA of 70 whilst my YT Rad Pro has a stiffness RA of 58!?...

I also think the unknown cheap synth/unknown tension (I'd guess 57 or so) might be responsible?

Anyhow, I do need to explore soft buttery strings/tensions (I've only just got the frame and have only played it 3/4 times.)

Q. I realize I have some... I think they are called 'hydra-absorb' white perforated grips... 1 is made by Head and the other Dunlop... I recall these being squishy and mushy (specially the Dunlop)... I didn't particularly care for them tbh... but so are these good for absorbing shock then?

R.

wrxtotoro
01-24-2010, 08:45 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gamma_Hi_Tech_Gel_Grip_Black/descpageACGAMMA-GHTGELBK.html

This is pretty soft... Or just put a soft and thick overgrip on top of your original grip...

01-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Ross, while I tend to replace the standard grips on all my racquets with leather grips, I was pleasently surprised by the DNX grip that came as stock on my Völkl PB10mid. Comfortable and plush, yet not without a feel similar to leather. I always use one overgrip (Völkl or Wilson, mostly).

tennis24
03-11-2010, 09:48 PM
put a rubber bands beneath the overgrip- apparently it works- my friend has done it

schenkelini
03-13-2010, 06:35 AM
I really like the Unique Regrip. It is on the thick side, but it is very shock absorbent.

OliverSimon
03-13-2010, 07:43 AM
The Head Prestige Pro overgrip works really well.

tennisdad65
03-14-2010, 09:32 AM
1) gamma hi tech gel grip..
2) If your racquet is too light and head heavy, you may want to inject some epoxy in the handle 4-6 inches from the buttcap.

stoble
03-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Pretty much any synthetic will help soften it up more than the leather. If you want to keep the leather add 2 thinly wrapped overgrips, that ought to help but your grip will be bigger.