PDA

View Full Version : Great find!

dlesser13
01-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Browsing the local thrift store yesterday, normally don't find much besides a few aluminum frames or woodies, every once in awhile though something comes my way. I've found several nice rackets before, yesterday was no exception. Found a pristine prince spec comp 110, case and all. This thing had the original leather and strings with the prince logo painted on. The frame is in immaculate condition, there is one minor chip on the side, but hardly noticeable. I wished it was the 90 when I found it though. Beggars can't be choosers though. A deal is a deal. What does one of these in good condition fetch?

Virginia
01-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Nice find indeed, but not worth overly much, as there are quite a few around. It plays beautifully and was built to last - a friend of mine has played with hers regularly for 22 years and it's still as good as new!

pshulam
01-23-2010, 09:48 AM
What does one of these in good condition fetch?
These are great racquets. I have two of them in 90. They are flexible, comfortable, and spin accessible. However, their worth in the marketplace is low, about $15. Racquets with high worth for whatever reasons are:
Wilson Prostaff original 6.0, especially the St. Vincent or Chicago version.
Wilson Ultra 2

Head TXP
Head Prestige Pro, especially the all brown version
Head Prestige 600
Head Prestige Classic
Head Pro Tour 630/280

Adidas Gtx Pro
Dunlop Max 150 g, 200g

Fischer Vacuum Pro 90

Yamaha Secret 04
Lacoste LT 301
Snauwaert Ergonom
Donnay Pro One Agassi

There are others .. These racquets are not necessary better in terms of playability. They are simply in demand because of their rarity or made famous by pro ATP players.

dlesser13
01-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Thank you for the info guys. I actually bought a 90 a few months ago, but the frame had seen better days. I recently discovered a crack that I hadn't noticed before. But the 90 is definitely more for me. I would kill for racket manufactures to make 14x18 patterns in such a small headsize, but I'm sure the cost of strings would be pretty phenomenal with all the breaking.

Don't Let It Bounce
01-23-2010, 02:37 PM
I used to play with the Spectrum Comp 110 back in 1986, when the world was young. What grip size did you find?

dlesser13
01-23-2010, 03:11 PM
^^^^

1/2 10char

Don't Let It Bounce
01-25-2010, 03:42 PM
dlesser13, I don't have a 90 to trade, but if you feel like selling your 110, please email me at absentmindedwayfarer at g mail dot com.

Don't Let It Bounce
01-25-2010, 03:54 PM
...But the 90 is definitely more for me. I would kill for racket manufactures to make 14x18 patterns in such a small headsize, but I'm sure the cost of strings would be pretty phenomenal with all the breaking.The POG Mid/Mid-Plus/90 was about that size and is easier to find, though somewhat stiffer–especially the more recent iterations. And they do have a rep for eating strings.

I saw a Precision Graphite 90, a Tricomp 90 (both 14x18, and soft), and a Spectrum Comp 90 today on auction, so they must still be around.

peter becker
01-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Picked up a mint almost new dunlop max 150G from a thrift store in sydney for about $10

BigMac
01-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Got a almost new Le coq Noah TF-40 for 20$

It looks like Le Coq has had an eye on Dunlop Max 200g when they designed this frame.

Virginia
01-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Picked up a mint almost new dunlop max 150G from a thrift store in sydney for about $10
Whereabouts in Sydney are you, Peter? Next time I come over, we must get together, along with Maxxply who also lives there. :)

My limit is going to be 500 - I think it's around 450 at the moment.

peter becker
01-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Whereabouts in Sydney are you, Peter? Next time I come over, we must get together, along with Maxxply who also lives there. :)

Hey Virginia, i've heard a bit about you, actually from Maxxply. I had a hit with him the other day, and actually trying to recruit him for a tennis comp i play. So im in the inner west of sydney. I can't stop collecting racquets, i keep telling my self i will stop, and i even have sold a few to try and cut down, but 2 days ago i just purchsed another 8 racquets..... :) ahhhhh

fred_fly
01-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Sydney is so cool.

peter becker
01-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Sydney is so cool.

i agree...!

peter becker
01-26-2010, 03:23 PM

oh i forgot to mention, YEAH for sure we have to catch up next time you are in town, would be great to meet you.

I've been on this thread for many many years, but generally just have been reading, and never posting, up until now. I am slowly going to be taking pics of all my racquets, clothes and shoes, as im going to blow many people away with my collection. I have SOOOOO many things.

As an eg. I was and still am an Estusa fantatic, and I pretty much have almost every Estusa racquet, as i was lucky enough a few years back to meet the old australia distributors and i pretty much picked up every racquet as well as some rare estusa accessories which i will post soon. I Also have the rare estusa Jimmy Conners racquet bags.

Just purchased a hole heaps of Fscher racquets 2 days ago, including 2 Fischer mono racquets, they look great. Gona string them up soon and see how they play

Virginia
01-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Hey Virginia, i've heard a bit about you, actually from Maxxply. I had a hit with him the other day, and actually trying to recruit him for a tennis comp i play. So im in the inner west of sydney. I can't stop collecting racquets, i keep telling my self i will stop, and i even have sold a few to try and cut down, but 2 days ago i just purchsed another 8 racquets..... :) ahhhhh
Small world isn't it?

Sydney is so cool.
Hi Fred - we'll have to get a proper get together with you, Peter and Chris when I come over next. :)

peter becker
01-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Small world isn't it?

Hi Fred - we'll have to get a proper get together with you, Peter and Chris when I come over next. :)

For sure, sounds great