PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try Ashway Liberty 16?

tennis005
01-23-2010, 03:59 PM
If so, what are your opinions on the string.

ace0001a
01-23-2010, 04:32 PM
I've never tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it plays very similar to most standard synthetic guts out there...but here are a few reviews from TW customers:

Comments: The only thing this string is good for, is to learning how to string a racket. I swear to you from day one this is the worst string I have ever played. I have the luxury of being able to put fresh strings in my racket every day, and I would still yet not play these dirt cheap strings. It is not as simple a matter as changing the tension to your liking. As a racket technician I have tried Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex, Prince Premier, Lightning, Tournament Poly, Head Pps, Sonic Pro, Gamma Esp, Luxilon Alu Power, and Gosen Og Sheep Micro..etc. Ashaway Liberty felt like I was playing with a fishing scoop net. I took swings at a ball expecting it to bite, spin, and jump over the net as usual. OR AT LEAST RESPOND, I got no response out of these strings whatsoever. Instead, the ball would hit my strings and fall to the net as if I barely had hit the ball at all. If you like to hit with any precision whatsoever, I recommend absolutely anything over plain nylon, which is what this is.

Comments: Strung my Babolat Aeropro drive cortex w/these at 58/56 and it broke on me that night within 3 hours of having it strung. I'm a heavy top-spinning 4.5 player and these strings looked really cool (in the lime green color) but the durability was awful.

Comments: This string is least durable string I've ever played with. I hit with it for about 2 and a half hours using my Head Microgel Extreme Pro at 58lbs tension, and the strings snapped by the end of my 3rd set. Too much movement of the strings. Not recommended to higher level players.

Comments: I'm a heavy topspinning 4.0 player and until recently these were my strings of choice. The price can't be beat. For me the feel and power were excellent, giving me much better topspin control than many uber-expensive strings. However, longevity was a big problem for me. I could play almost exactly 6 sets and expect the strings to break on me. At least I could count on the regularity! But, re-stringing these proved expensive even though the strings are cheap. I just moved over to Ashaway's Crossfire II and am completely sold on those. More expensive, but it makes up for it in durability big time, as well as improving on spin, power, and feel (for me). I bid these farewell, but I enjoyed them while I played with them.

Comments: Not for me, but I hate synthetic gut in general. It gave me no control and power that I need and didn't match what I had with my last strings. It felt too bouncy and moved around too much.

Comments: I've bought this string from T-W for many years; needless to say, I'm very satisfied with it. I'm a USTA 4.0 NTRP player who plays 2-3 times a week throughout the year. I hit hard with very little natural spin. This string gives me the strength, resilience, and longevity I need, and the price can't be beat; I also get a little more feel from this string than I used to get with other 16 gauge strings I tried (granted, it has been a long time since I've used any other brand string!). I usually buy ten at a time, and keep them in a cool, dry place to make them last longer (I change my strings 2-3 times a year). IMHO, this string is a "best bet" for the average club player.

Blade0324
01-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Absolutely terrible string. No control, no spin, horrible durability, move all over the place, uncontrollable power. I wouldn't even use it in a weed whacker. A waste for them to even produce it.