PDA

View Full Version : Age-Level Tournaments

jturpin4
01-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Hey everyone! I have only been playing in NTRP tournaments (3.5 level) so far. I will be turning 22 this year. What is the requirements to play in age-level tournaments? I have tried searching on my state/section/USTA site but couldn't find any information. I was interested in the age 25 division. I didn't know if it was 25 and up or 25 and under.

Thank,

JT.

nocab
01-23-2010, 03:30 PM
25 is for 25 and up, 30 is for 30 and up and so on. As long as you are older you can play in any age group. If you are a 3.5 you may want to be careful in the age groups. Since the only requirement is age you usually get higher level players. I've never seen a 25's draw in my area but the 30's are usually 4.5-5.5 level players.

10ACE
01-23-2010, 04:50 PM
25 is for 25 and up, 30 is for 30 and up and so on. As long as you are older you can play in any age group. If you are a 3.5 you may want to be careful in the age groups. Since the only requirement is age you usually get higher level players. I've never seen a 25's draw in my area but the 30's are usually 4.5-5.5 level players.

2nd the motion- age groups have more competition and stretch of level of play. Usually high level of play- like you would find in an open draw. You can have 4.5-6.0, teaching pros, ex college, satellite drop outs whom ever- just good competition.

dana
01-23-2010, 05:03 PM
I was a 3.5 player when I turned 30. I was looking forward to the "age" groups until I played in my first one. I got slaughtered, My opponent kindly told me that the 30s age group is mostly former open players who can't win at that level anymore. I played that one tournament and never tried an age group again. Now that I can play in the 60s group, I might try again. Maybe I'm in better shape than some of the others. :)