PDA

View Full Version : Leather Grip

roddick_rulz
01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Why do so many people, including the pros use leather grips underneath their overgrip?
It doesn't really make sense to me because I don't see how it would make a difference but it probably does if they use it.
I wouldn't know because I haven't tried it, but if people suggest it and say it does make a difference then I might give it a shot.

Mansewerz
01-24-2010, 09:05 AM
The feel is great. A little rougher on the hand, but i like the sharp bevels.

roddick_rulz
01-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Who makes the best leather grip?

Team China
01-24-2010, 11:06 AM
I like tennis warehouse's leather grips because of the variety they have.

joe sch
01-24-2010, 11:33 AM
The feel is great. A little rougher on the hand, but i like the sharp bevels.

Its all about "feel"

Even with overgrips over the leather, which most modern players do, its still a better foundation for feel and control. The same could be said for using natural gut strings but today, many advanced players will tradeoff the extra control and pain that poly strings provide for the extra touch and power that natural strings provide.

01-24-2010, 12:20 PM

Babolat VS are my go-to leather grips, I use them on almost all of my racquets. Recommended.

Kick Serve 14
01-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Babolat VS are my go-to leather grips, I use them on almost all of my racquets. Recommended.

Ditto... :)

ODYSSEY Mk.4
01-24-2010, 12:39 PM
T-Dub's 1.3mm thin leather is pretty damn good and Babolat's is a close 2nd

ClubHoUno
01-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Ditto... :)

Tritto !! :D

Mdubb23
01-24-2010, 03:12 PM

Fairway by Balmforth of England, if you're willing to shell out forty bucks. If not, and I can't imagine why, stick with T-Dub.

cbegap
01-24-2010, 03:32 PM
It helps me feel the bevels better. May sound weird but I end up holding the racquet the same way every time (like when serving) when I use the foam grips under my over grip because of the way it curves as it goes up the handle. Leather lays almost perfectly flat if you put it on correctly.

pstar
01-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Why do so many people, including the pros use leather grips underneath their overgrip?

It also adds some weight to the handle. A leather grip is heavier than the original grip, and instead of putting lead inside or on top of the handle, you just change the grip.

SirGounder
01-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I just like the way it feels. Sharper bevels and with TW grips, I can get the perfect grip size since there are thinner or thicker versions.

The first time I tried leather, I liked the feeling but my hands were sore afterward. Took me a couple hours of play to get used to it.