PDA

View Full Version : Head Elite Pro (CAP)

Dino Lagaffe
01-24-2010, 09:10 AM
I decided to post a picture of my CAPped Elite Pro. Very nice racquet, both to look at and to play with...

Head Elite Pro (CAP)
Weight: 352/12.42
Flex: 52
SW: 324

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/dinolagaffe/Head/DSCN1000.jpg

khw72004
01-24-2010, 09:14 AM
One of the best playing rackets, IMO

Tennis Man
01-24-2010, 09:44 AM
I decided to post a picture of my CAPped Elite Pro. Very nice racquet, both to look at and to play with...

Head Elite Pro (CAP)

I played with it this morning. This is one of my favorite racquets ever.

How was the CAPping experience? Did you have adjust the grommets to CAP it? I didn't but retrowagon recommends it. I still wonder how it works? :)

Dino Lagaffe
01-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Tennis Man, I agree, it's a terrific racquet. According to my stringer the CAPping process went smoothly, so the answer is no adjustments.

MichaelChang
01-24-2010, 10:06 AM
For HEAD rackets made in the same era, the Elite Pro seems to be the rarest racket to acquire one these days.

Dino Lagaffe
01-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I love the PT600, PC600 and PT630s, but this is one sweet stick. I guess availability today reflects sales back in the day. How was it positioned price wise compared to other racquets at the time?

Bud
01-24-2010, 12:18 PM

Head Elite Pro (CAP)

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/dinolagaffe/Head/DSCN1000.jpg

That's a funky background :)

Ross K
01-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I love the PT600, PC600 and PT630s, but this is one sweet stick. I guess availability today reflects sales back in the day. How was it positioned price wise compared to other racquets at the time?

How does it compare to the great sticks you've mentioned performance-wise?

Dino Lagaffe
01-24-2010, 12:55 PM
How does it compare to the great sticks you've mentioned performance-wise?

To me the Elite Pro feels like a nice combination of the PT630 and the PC600. It has the more muted/less crisp feel of the former and is as maneuverable and scalpel-like as the latter.

I ought to bring them all to the court at the same time to compare them properly. This is from memory only.

Dino Lagaffe
01-24-2010, 01:01 PM
That's a funky background :)

It is, isn't it? :wink: I had promised Jimbo to put some pictures up of the Rossignols and just did it as quickly as possible. I'd probably pick a lighter background and add some more angles for the next photo shoot.

retrowagen
01-25-2010, 10:03 AM
To me the Elite Pro feels like a nice combination of the PT630 and the PC600. It has the more muted/less crisp feel of the former and is as maneuverable and scalpel-like as the latter.

I think this is a good assessment. The 1988 Elite Pro is my everyday racquet - I still play my four remaining examples weekly, and still play tournaments with them. I began using these in 1988, so I've been with them for a while.

They compare favorably, I think, with the Head Graphite Pro of the same vintage in terms of stiffness, feel, comfort, and stability, but are more manoeuverable and do cut through the air more quickly. On the serve, they feel slightly more sword-like and a good player can use that extra degree of deftness to more easily make minute adjustments on the serve while in motion. The 1988 EP is less stiff and slightly more head-light than the concurrent Prestige Pro or the later PC600 (before HEAD lightened that frame up). It does have a softer feel overall than the Prestige mids (with the same 18x20 pattern) of various years. I played the PT600 for a little while, hoping that that model might replicate the feel of the 1988 EP, but by comparison that model felt sluggish and mushy. I later tried the PC600 for a couple years, but by comparison, it felt harsher and had far less ball feel.

HEAD (Austria) only made this model for one year, 1988. In 1989, it was replaced by a model of the same name, but vastly different "widebody" mold. Wilson had caught HEAD unaware with their marketing of the Kuebler-designed "Profile" frames the year prior, which sparked the Widebody craze and effectively killed traditional high-performance racquets (at least in the lucrative US market). Hence, the green/black Elite Pro "thinbeam" is extremely rare today.

The original white grommets and half-CAP bumper also were prone to brittleness and disintegration within two or three years of new. I retrofitted black full-CAPS (the TK52a from the iPrestige Mid, in my case, although any full-CAP TK52 variant can fit) in two different formats: trimmed (to match the original half-CAP dimensions of the original configuration of the frame), and full-length. There is a "notch" on the frame's mould where the half-CAP would end (at roughly 10 and 2 o'clock positions), and the beam beneath was bulked up slightly to make the frame smoother looking. The original Prestige Pro and subsequent Prestige Mids - all fitted with full-length CAPS - did not have the "notch." The only other HEAD frame to have the half-CAP and the "notch" was the 1988 Elektra Pro (the more flexible sister to the Elite Pro). I discovered when stringing up a full-length CAP on the Elite Pro that the CAP puckers in to the deeper groove in areas below the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, making it extremely tough to pull string. It also looks a bit odd. Since I like the original weight and balance of the stock EP, I trim my new full CAPS down to half-CAP size when retrofitting them.

The frames themselves are a bit on the fragile side. One good throw down on the top of the hoop is enough for a fatal cracking - unfortunately as a hot-headed player back when these were readily available, I killed roughly half a dozen of them in this fashion, regretted now... Also, as with other "thinbeam" HEAD models, care must be taken when stringing, as the shape of the head can deform if strung hybrid or with varying tension between mains and crosses. Really, this is the kind of a frame that begs for a full multi or natural gut bed, and rewards the user.

A special frame!

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/retrowagen/Miscellaneous%20Head/EP1988units.jpg

Colpo
01-26-2010, 11:47 AM

In the USA, Head positioned the Elite in-between the Prestige and the Elektra Pro, figure about a $20 spread between each model. The 1988 Prestige Pro listed for $200-220, so figure $180-200 for the Elite, and so on. Head didn't stick with this series for very long, introducing its double-wedged Elites and Elektras with the '89 model year.

(Quick Prestige/Elite memory: Recall hitting up a Raleigh-Durham area Sports Unlimited store during summer '90 where they had literally RACKS of unsold Prestiges and Elites for $99/each. I mean RACKS! People were sleeping on these models because you had to follow the pro game avidly to know that every male Head pro was using the PP 600 then. Bought 2 US-made PP there - just a bananas, rubber-core-like feel! Later saw similar deals that same summer in a couple places in CA. No doubt, summer '90 was THE TIME to stock up on those models, as Head's adverting for them a year or two before didn't match up with the amount of product it put out to stores hence vast unsold backlogs.)

retrowagen
01-26-2010, 12:57 PM
^ Good post. In 1988, it seemed like absolutely nobody (at least in the USA) was interested in what HEAD was selling, so popular were the original Wilson Profile widebodies. All the HEAD touring pros were either using the Graphite Pro (notably Dave Wheaton), or the Prestige Pro (i.e., the Sanchez bros. and many other Euro professionals). Tim Mayotte was the odd man out with the Graphite Master he was using. The only HEAD pro I recall using the 1988 Elite Pro was Conchita Martinez.

I do recall seeing racks of 1988 Elite and Elektra Pros for sale in Northern Calfornia Copeland's Sports chain stores, circa 1990-1991. I also found a small horde of dusty 1988 Elektra Pros at a small mom & pop sporting goods store (mostly ski stuff) in Turlock, CA circa 1998! I checked back there last year, but alas, they were gone.

Tennis Man
01-27-2010, 05:18 AM
Bought 2 US-made PP there - just a bananas, rubber-core-like feel!
You must be kidding. It can't be that bad. It's a Prestige Pro. :confused:

Unfortunately, I can't confirm. I have just one of them in near mint condition and I haven't strung it yet.

tandayu
01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
^ Good post. In 1988, it seemed like absolutely nobody (at least in the USA) was interested in what HEAD was selling, so popular were the original Wilson Profile widebodies. All the HEAD touring pros were either using the Graphite Pro (notably Dave Wheaton), or the Prestige Pro (i.e., the Sanchez bros. and many other Euro professionals). Tim Mayotte was the odd man out with the Graphite Master he was using. The only HEAD pro I recall using the 1988 Elite Pro was Conchita Martinez.

I do recall seeing racks of 1988 Elite and Elektra Pros for sale in Northern Calfornia Copeland's Sports chain stores, circa 1990-1991. I also found a small horde of dusty 1988 Elektra Pros at a small mom & pop sporting goods store (mostly ski stuff) in Turlock, CA circa 1998! I checked back there last year, but alas, they were gone.

Copeland's Sports, thank you, I tried to recall this name for long time. Jan 1987,
I bought grap master and saw white txp with black cap, many of it unsold , must be too small head size, look at Prince, only couple frames left

Dino Lagaffe
01-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Thank you, all the posters in this thread! Very interesting stuff. This is these boards at its best; nice and knowledgeable people sharing info and comments about a common interest. Great! :)

(I felt a need to share this with you as there is so much negativity, locked threads and trolling around...)

vsbabolat
01-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Here is one of my Elite Pro:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0128-1.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0129.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0130.jpg

tandayu
01-28-2010, 07:14 AM

very nice still has original grommet, leather grip . I have to ask, what qc ( quality control) 5 meaning? Was it like Hanes of Fruit of the Loom sticker?

retrowagen
01-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Yes, those say "QC Kontrolleur #" which in German means Quality Control Inspector <number>. Just like the underwear inspector's sticker!

Colpo
01-28-2010, 10:24 AM
You must be kidding. It can't be that bad. It's a Prestige Pro. :confused:

Unfortunately, I can't confirm. I have just one of them in near mint condition and I haven't strung it yet.

Sorry for any confusion, but "bananas" and "rubber core feel" are intended as maxxed-out praise!

Dino Lagaffe
02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Sorry for any confusion, but "bananas" and "rubber core feel" are intended as maxxed-out praise!

I need to add those terms to my vocabulary... :wink:

Thanks for the posts, everybody! Do you feel there are more unsung heroes out there, shadowed by more famouse siblings? Even though I understand why the PS 6.0 is a legend, I always thought that it "stole" some of the PS 6.6's thunder. So the PS 6.6 would be my example.

vsbabolat
02-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I need to add those terms to my vocabulary... :wink:

Thanks for the posts, everybody! Do you feel there are more unsung heroes out there, shadowed by more famouse siblings? Even though I understand why the PS 6.0 is a legend, I always thought that it "stole" some of the PS 6.6's thunder. So the PS 6.6 would be my example.

Don't forget about the Elektra Pro. For the Wilson Pro Staff Mid. The Jack Kramer Staff Mid and the Staff Mid got overshadowed by the Pro Staff.

For Prince the Graphite Pro 90 got overshadowed by the Graphite 90.

Dino Lagaffe
02-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Don't forget about the Elektra Pro. For the Wilson Pro Staff Mid. The Jack Kramer Staff Mid and the Staff Mid got overshadowed by the Pro Staff.

For Prince the Graphite Pro 90 got overshadowed by the Graphite 90.

Do you happen to have the specs on the Elektra Pro?

Pioneer
02-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Sorry for the noob question, but what is CAP?

Dino Lagaffe
02-07-2010, 05:02 AM
Sorry for the noob question, but what is CAP?

On some of their racquets Head has used CAP bumper and grommets. I've forgotten but I think it stands for Computer Assisted Protection. They add more protection, and some weight, to the racquet.

Please check my pictures of the CAPped racquet and vsbabolat's of the original grommet one.

Since Head has used the same head size and drill pattern for various racquets over the years, it is possible to use CAP grommets on models that didn't originally come with them. For further info you can check this link:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=233780&highlight=CAP+grommets

vsbabolat
02-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Do you happen to have the specs on the Elektra Pro?

The specs UNSTRUNG:
Weight: 11.9oz
Balance: 32cm
swingweight: 293
Stiffness: 50RA

Dino Lagaffe
02-07-2010, 05:45 PM
The specs UNSTRUNG:

Thanks! ...

Colpo
02-08-2010, 10:07 AM
On some of their racquets Head has used CAP bumper and grommets. I've forgotten but I think it stands for Computer Assisted Protection. They add more protection, and some weight, to the racquet.

Please check my pictures of the CAPped racquet and vsbabolat's of the original grommet one.

Since Head has used the same head size and drill pattern for various racquets over the years, it is possible to use CAP grommets on models that didn't originally come with them. For further info you can check this link:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=233780&highlight=CAP+grommets

All 3 1988 Head Pro models from this series (Prestige, Elite, and Elektra) came factory-stocked with CAP grommets. Only the Prestige's was full CAP (all the way to the throat). The Elite had a white colored half CAP, the Elektra a dark greenish half CAP. The 1992 Prestige 600 was the first and only Prestige model to not have a CAP setup stock, although full neon green CAPs were available from Head and used by Muster on tour.

Dino Lagaffe
02-08-2010, 11:01 AM
All 3 1988 Head Pro models from this series (Prestige, Elite, and Elektra) came factory-stocked with CAP grommets. Only the Prestige's was full CAP (all the way to the throat). The Elite had a white colored half CAP, the Elektra a dark greenish half CAP. The 1992 Prestige 600 was the first and only Prestige model to not have a CAP setup stock, although full neon green CAPs were available from Head and used by Muster on tour.

Thanks for clarifying that. :)

vsbabolat
02-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Elektra Pro:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0036.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0037.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0034.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0035.jpg

Dino Lagaffe
02-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Elektra Pro:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0036.jpg

I need to get myself one of those... Nice pictures!

pshulam
02-08-2010, 12:58 PM
me too! .... ... pretty racquet.

Dino Lagaffe
03-20-2010, 02:03 PM
In the USA, Head positioned the Elite in-between the Prestige and the Elektra Pro, figure about a $20 spread between each model. The 1988 Prestige Pro listed for $200-220, so figure $180-200 for the Elite, and so on. Head didn't stick with this series for very long, introducing its double-wedged Elites and Elektras with the '89 model year.

So I got all three racquets now:

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/dinolagaffe/Head/DSCN1114.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/dinolagaffe/Head/DSCN1116.jpg

Dino Lagaffe
03-20-2010, 02:06 PM
The specs UNSTRUNG:

Strung specs on mine:

Head Elektra Pro
Weight: 350 g / 12.35 oz
Flex: 45
SW: 319
Balance: 32 cm

MarrratSafin
03-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Strung specs on mine:

Head Elektra Pro
Weight: 350 g / 12.35 oz
Flex: 45
SW: 319
Balance: 32 cm

Nice frame. It feels really flexy, too much for my liking actually. I inserted iPrestige CAPs on it but an overgrip balanced it out. The lighter weight is something different and a plus, on some days it does a better job for me than the Prestige Pro, which is still my firm favourite.

Dino Lagaffe
03-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Nice frame. It feels really flexy, too much for my liking actually. I inserted iPrestige CAPs on it but an overgrip balanced it out. The lighter weight is something different and a plus, on some days it does a better job for me than the Prestige Pro, which is still my firm favourite.

The grommets on mine are gone, so I'll probably CAP it too. I'm really eager to try it out.

sarged
03-28-2010, 07:09 AM
Hi All, first time poster from UK here.
This whole thread has amused me greatly. You all have no idea how long I have been searching for an Elite Pro! I used to play with them back "in the day" and they were fine rackets. Thanks a million for the photo's - I love the colour and cosmetics on it too! Unfortunately, its just a tease for me as I have been searching for so long!!! Dude with the 4 Elites - thanks for the photos - its just too cruel that you have 4 and I have none. That said, if I had any, I would never sell them.
Thanks a million and I look forward to many more facinating posts in the future - thee forums rock!

Dino Lagaffe
03-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Hi All, first time poster from UK here.
This whole thread has amused me greatly. You all have no idea how long I have been searching for an Elite Pro! I used to play with them back "in the day" and they were fine rackets. Thanks a million for the photo's - I love the colour and cosmetics on it too! Unfortunately, its just a tease for me as I have been searching for so long!!! Dude with the 4 Elites - thanks for the photos - its just too cruel that you have 4 and I have none. That said, if I had any, I would never sell them.
Thanks a million and I look forward to many more facinating posts in the future - thee forums rock!

Hi sarged, and welcome to this forum! Glad you like the thread. The Elite Pro is indeed a very nice racquet. What other racquets have you played with?

retrowagen
03-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Dude with the 4 Elites - thanks for the photos - its just too cruel that you have 4 and I have none.

No, mate; what's cruel is that HEAD won't make this frame or layup anymore, instead giving us harsh-feeling, overly-lightweight, garish-looking models with questionable "technological" enhancements instead (and repackaging them annually or every two years to get us excited that we are getting something new and improved).

Mine are well-used and used well. Hope you can find one too!

retrowagen
12-23-2010, 01:01 PM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/retrowagen/Miscellaneous%20Head/7_EPs_1.jpg
They've been multiplying in my racquet bag!

vsbabolat
12-23-2010, 01:27 PM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/retrowagen/Miscellaneous%20Head/7_EPs_1.jpg
They've been multiplying in my racquet bag!

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

audioaffliction
12-25-2010, 08:51 PM
OMG. I'm so jealous. I played the TXP back in 1988/89 while my doubles partner played the Elite. Always wanted one of these.

Frankc
12-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Great thread - not to sidetrack it, but the Electra Pro was mentioned as flexy. How does the dark gray Composite Professional (graphite/glass) match up Flex wise with the Elite and Electra?
I've always liked the look and feel of the frame and the idea of an engineered medium flex from Head, but I cannot seem to find the right strings and tension? Again, great thread, and would appreciate the info - thanks

retrowagen
12-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Great thread - not to sidetrack it, but the Electra Pro was mentioned as flexy. How does the dark gray Composite Professional (graphite/glass) match up Flex wise with the Elite and Electra?
I've always liked the look and feel of the frame and the idea of an engineered medium flex from Head, but I cannot seem to find the right strings and tension? Again, great thread, and would appreciate the info - thanks

I don't have any lab numbers to quantify this, but the flex and feel of the Elektra Pro and Composite Pro were pretty close to one another. The Elektra swung a bit faster though, by dint of its better aerrodynamics, and felt a wee bit more manoeuverable. Conversely, I found the Comp Pro to feel a bit more stable.

I too always found these two models hard to dial in the stringing on; thus abandoned them for stiffer models. I would recommend stringing up a nice 16 gauge string at 60 pounds. Within a couple outings, it should be down to 57 or so and you can tell if things are moving in the right direction.

Frankc
12-28-2010, 03:43 AM
Retrowagen,

Thanks - much appreciated - it is flexy and I did just try a tighter tension (58) with natural gut hybrid. We'll see..
Interesting that the specs on the side of the frame call for 55-70 pounds.
The frames are very pleasant to play with - good touch, you can swing out, great slices, and good feedback when hitting.
Thanks again...

alfa164164
01-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Recently picked up an almost new one of these that was sitting in my sister's closet for years. Just got it capped, gripped, and strung up (I need to post some pics). Anyways, on the side of the throat, just above the white collar, there is "17" imprinted on the side of the frame - is this the actual Serial #? The white butt cap has the mostly silver "Made in Austria" sticker on it. TIA

Bud
01-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Recently picked up an almost new one of these that was sitting in my sister's closet for years. Just got it capped, gripped, and strung up (I need to post some pics). Anyways, on the side of the throat, just above the white collar, there is "17" imprinted on the side of the frame - is this the actual Serial #? The white butt cap has the mostly silver "Made in Austria" sticker on it. TIA

I sure hoped you saved the original grommets :)

Colpo
01-10-2011, 07:18 AM

I might find an old pair of Rainbow sandals in my sister's closet. An Elite Pro? -- not much!

retrowagen
01-10-2011, 09:53 AM
I sure hoped you saved the original grommets :)

Yes, he probably did... in a little urn on his mantle!

The white plastic used by Head for their grommets in the late 1980's probably utilised eggshells and recycled flourescent light tube glass in the chemical composition for the white colour and that trademark crispy feel! (The lighter-coloured Rossignol plastics from the late 1980's-early 1990's were similarly brittle, in my experience.)

alfa164164
01-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Yes, I have the original grommets nicely saved in a ziploc bag, all 89 original pieces.
Finally got a chance to get this on a RDC machine - Flex measures 55 and SW 330. 12.4 ounces strung, but I don't have a balance board.
BTW Volkl also had white grommets on some of their models around the same time frame that were equally crappy.

Dino Lagaffe
01-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Yes, I have the original grommets nicely saved in a ziploc bag, all 89 original pieces.
Finally got a chance to get this on a RDC machine - Flex measures 55 and SW 330. 12.4 ounces strung, but I don't have a balance board.
BTW Volkl also had white grommets on some of their models around the same time frame that were equally crappy.

You only got 89 pieces? :shock:

Here are the specs of my CAPped Elite Pro:

Bud
01-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Yes, he probably did... in a little urn on his mantle!

The white plastic used by Head for their grommets in the late 1980's probably utilised eggshells and recycled flourescent light tube glass in the chemical composition for the white colour and that trademark crispy feel! (The lighter-coloured Rossignol plastics from the late 1980's-early 1990's were similarly brittle, in my experience.)

Lol... I didn't realize the Elite Pro had those brittle grommets. My Elektra Pro grommets weren't brittle.

retrowagen
01-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Lol... I didn't realize the Elite Pro had those brittle grommets. My Elektra Pro grommets weren't brittle.

Hee hee! Yes, for some reason the darker colours of Head's grommet plastics (including the Elektra's grey) from the 1980's were softer and less prone to brittleness and cracking.

katone
04-08-2011, 02:50 PM
This post made me dig out my own elite pro, it's now back in my tennis bag after so many year, ready for my next match! This was the racquet of my youth, bought it from my tennis teacher who was sponsored by head back then (in france).
And I found out that I too have a couple original grommets sets, preserved in the original plastic bags. nice!!

craniopath
01-10-2012, 05:15 AM
Is it possible to install newer head pallets on the elite pro or the hairpin dimensions are different?
thanks

retrowagen
01-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Is it possible to install newer head pallets on the elite pro or the hairpin dimensions are different?
thanks
The grip pallets from any era Prestige Mid will fit your Elite Pro's hairpin.

itr
01-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Umm I’m new what does caped mean. I was given one of these racquets from my old tennis coach it was the best racquet I’ve used, but very fragile since the top half of the hoop is skinnier then the rest of the racquet unlike the prestige pros. I was so sad when the racquet went pear shaped, but luckily I found a replacement on **** but it never felt right, i never used to need a damper in my old one but the one i purchased had a ping that annoyed me. Anyone else got a spare one of these racquets?? btw what are pallets?

craniopath
03-01-2012, 12:48 PM
the top of the hoop where the half (1/3?) cap sits is about 1mm thinner than the rest. It's as if 1mm is shavef off from the top, sides and inside of the hoop is the same. which is probably designed to let the cap sit lower as one of the members mentioned, I guess also the reason for the relative fragility of the frames?

that doesn't makes sense to me from a production perspective. it would require new molds for the racquets sincce they cannot use prestige pro mold, also they needed to produce these weird half caps just for these two (elite, elektra) racquets. No wonder they were short lived.

craniopath
03-28-2012, 05:02 AM
with reference to post #12, is not advised to have two piece string on the elite pro?

also, what is a good tool to cut cap grommets? I tried using a box cutter and as much as I managed it's not very precise and difficult to cut in a straight line.

best

retrowagen
03-28-2012, 08:50 AM
with reference to post #12, is not advised to have two piece string on the elite pro?

My mistake - this frame should be strung two-piece ONLY. :oops:

also, what is a good tool to cut cap grommets? I tried using a box cutter and as much as I managed it's not very precise and difficult to cut in a straight line.

I have cut many of them with one of these (substituting a curved blade for the one pictured):
http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/205674549.jpg

craniopath
04-01-2012, 03:23 AM
what is the suggested string tension range for this racquet?

retrowagen you wrote "Also, as with other "thinbeam" HEAD models, care must be taken when stringing, as the shape of the head can deform if strung hybrid or with varying tension between mains and crosses." do you mean prestige mid racquets by "thinbeam" Head models, I thought prestige mid are supposed to strung two piece. or is it ok to string two piece but with the same string and same tension?

craniopath
04-20-2012, 01:12 AM
what is the suggested tension range for elite pro?

vari0012
08-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Hi guys,

This is my first post in long time. I just found 2 mint head classic (elite pro and comp pro) with wrapper still on the grips. How do I post pictures?

Best regards,

William

vari0012
08-12-2012, 06:06 PM
http://s1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/vari0012/

:)

vsbabolat
08-13-2012, 08:12 AM
http://s1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/vari0012/

:)

You have a Elite Pro 600 with the Double Power Wedge. That is a very different frame to this Elite Pro.

vari0012
08-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Thank you vsbabolat. Have you ever hit with either of wedge elite pro or the comp pro? I want to try and hit with them but feel bad to string these up. I use mg prestige mid as my main stick.

jkm07
08-18-2012, 01:40 PM
retrowagen you wrote "Also, as with other "thinbeam" HEAD models, care must be taken when stringing, as the shape of the head can deform if strung hybrid or with varying tension between mains and crosses." do you mean prestige mid racquets by "thinbeam" Head models, I thought prestige mid are supposed to strung two piece. or is it ok to string two piece but with the same string and same tension?

I've been stringing my PC600s (both red and green/silver) and i.Prestige mids with two-piece hybrid stringing (Main-SPPP @ 53; cross-syn gut @ 58). I haven't had a problem with warping on my Klippermate. I have an Head Elite Pro coming in next week and I'm going to try it out with these same specs. We'll see how it goes...

Mounting is extremely important with Head racquets, even more so with a two-point mount like K-mate. Once the racquet is mounted I pull the vise bracket outwards just a bit and tighten the U-bolts with pliers. This should stabilize the racquet.

craniopath
08-19-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm anxiously waiting for the results
best

jkm07
08-21-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm anxiously waiting for the results
best

Just finished stringing the racquet with the same specs above (and TK52 instead of the white half-CAP). Everything turned out well!

craniopath
02-15-2013, 11:18 PM
I have installed cap grommets on my elite pro and have it strung this week. I was expecting the cap grommets to be a perfect fit but to my surprise there is about a 2mm opening between the grommet strip and the body of the racquets all around the head. The sides are not flat but slightly concave, well hence the width of the grommet strip felt a little short and unperfect fit. Well I have never handled a prestige mid racquet but I expect this is not the case. I assume the grommet channel (?) of the elite pro is slightly deeper than prestige, well at least that could explain it.

Anyways I wonder whether this has been the experience of people who have capped their racquets.

I have it strung with mantis comfort synthetic(23k)/ forten sweet 16(22k). I haven't hit with it yet, fingers crossed for tomorrow, but have been playing around with a tennis ball at home and it makes a much fuller (thicker?) sound compared to my vantage 90, without a dampener. With wilson ying yang dampener elite pro makes a much more subtle sound, as if it is indifferent to the ball :)

boinz
02-16-2013, 04:09 AM
what's the static weight of your fully CAP'ed Elite Pro? I've seen one that's over 360grams strung with syn gut and still on the old white bumper guards (and over grip)... making it heavier than a Prestige Pro of the same era.

craniopath
02-16-2013, 11:30 AM
I have no idea, unfortunately I don't have a scale that is accurate enough. Dino has kindly shared the RDC output for his racquet, in the first post, have you seen it? Swingweight is not really that high. I thought cap first, trim later :)

Tennis Man
02-16-2013, 12:15 PM
I have installed cap grommets on my elite pro and have it strung this week. I was expecting the cap grommets to be a perfect fit but to my surprise there is about a 2mm opening between the grommet strip and the body of the racquets all around the head. The sides are not flat but slightly concave, well hence the width of the grommet strip felt a little short and unperfect fit. Well I have never handled a prestige mid racquet but I expect this is not the case. I assume the grommet channel (?) of the elite pro is slightly deeper than prestige, well at least that could explain it.

Anyways I wonder whether this has been the experience of people who have capped their racquets.

I capped a few of them. I usually pre-fill the gap with lead tape. It worked for me.

boinz
02-23-2013, 07:35 PM
I found a pair of Eilte Pros sometime back, one nicely CAPPed and the other still on original white bumpers and unstrung.
Somehow I never did enjoy playing with the Elite Pro that is CAPPed which I tot it is too heavy.
Well, the strings snapped finally... and I found some 6g of lead under the CAPs. After removing I managed to weigh the frame with CAPs. It is 350g unstrung! My other frame with the white bumper weighed 335g.... So CAPPing adds an additional 15g???
thats alot of weight to the head.

FYI, these CAP are TK52