PDA

View Full Version : No Damper for Henin?

Tennissee
01-24-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm watching the Henin-Wickmayer match from 3 AM. (Don't tell me the results.) I can't help but notice that balls come off Henin's racquet with a ping. It appears that she's not using a damper. Has she always gone without a damper or am I just imagining things? Personally, I can't play without a damper. The ping just bothers me too much.

DrumWizOHBD
01-24-2010, 10:55 AM
I noticed her ping as well, comes through pretty loud on the TV. Strange that Federer also plays without a damper and you can't here the ping on TV. Maybe its her Power Holes in her custom frame. I remember those power hole racquets did give off a more pronounced ping than most other sticks. Its proablly because there is string on racuet contact without the protection of grommets at the points of the power holes.

This may sound a bit weird, maybe because I am a musician, but withou a damper I can tell by the sound how my timing is-how close I am striking the ball to the sweet spot. Having said that, I like the more muted feel of playing witha damper. So if my timing is off, I take the damper out, and fine tune my stroke with my ears....then put it back in when I get my timing just right.

Tennissee
01-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Wow, very interesting take on the ping. My younger son has perfect pitch. I wonder if he can tell if a racquet has lost tension and by how much just listening to people play, without a damper.

So Federer doesn't use a damper, either? Is it just the way they learned tennis? Do they prefer the "purer" feel and sound without a damper? Do most of the top layers not use a damper? Never thought about this before.

Aces09
01-24-2010, 11:24 AM
well if you compare the retail versions of both of their racquets, the blx90 is a heavy racquet, and the increased weight dampens most vibration on their own, the blx tour is a light racquet so it won't dampen alot of vibration on its own, which results in that pinging sound.

Blade0324
01-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah I have noticed the annoying ping off of Henin's shots as well. It is annoying on TV, I can't imagine playing against her and hearing it, or even playing with a racquet that does that myself. The more dead and muted the strings can feel and sound to me the better.

DNShade
01-24-2010, 12:07 PM
A lot of pros - men and women don't use a dampener. Just a preference.

Tennissee
01-24-2010, 01:24 PM
I wonder if someone has compiled a list somewhere of pros using and not using dampers already. Everybody knows Agassi uses a #64 rubber band and Sampras uses an O-ring.

LeeD
01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
I have 2 close to identical Mfil 200's both strung exactly the same, one with a damper, one without. I choose the one that day that has a grippier grip.
I have one Aero200 same strings, no damper. Just too lazy to put them on.
I have 3 identical matched PrinceTriThreat's monster hoops, no dampers.
I have one LM Rad 98, LuxBB, no damper.
Damper works great after I hit the ball. Who cares, it's too late.

Tennissee
01-24-2010, 01:51 PM
I have 2 close to identical Mfil 200's both strung exactly the same, one with a damper, one without. I choose the one that day that has a grippier grip.
I have one Aero200 same strings, no damper. Just too lazy to put them on.
I have 3 identical matched PrinceTriThreat's monster hoops, no dampers.
I have one LM Rad 98, LuxBB, no damper.
Damper works great after I hit the ball. Who cares, it's too late.

So what you're saying, LeeD, is that only one out of your 7 racquets has a damper on it. So I guess you don't really like/need a damper. Good for you.

But I believe many of us mortals do like and, for many cases, need a damper. Not necessarily for our games, but for ridding the ping ...

ericsson
01-25-2010, 12:49 AM
String MS 1.40 natural gut up high in a very stiff frame and everyone will have that "ping"

SirGounder
01-25-2010, 08:49 AM
I noticed her ping as well, comes through pretty loud on the TV. Strange that Federer also plays without a damper and you can't here the ping on TV. Maybe its her Power Holes in her custom frame. I remember those power hole racquets did give off a more pronounced ping than most other sticks. Its proablly because there is string on racuet contact without the protection of grommets at the points of the power holes.

This may sound a bit weird, maybe because I am a musician, but withou a damper I can tell by the sound how my timing is-how close I am striking the ball to the sweet spot. Having said that, I like the more muted feel of playing witha damper. So if my timing is off, I take the damper out, and fine tune my stroke with my ears....then put it back in when I get my timing just right.

Interesting to hear that I am not the only one. I thought it was psychological because hitting the sweetspot feels better, so I may think it sounds different. I was in band/orchestra for about 10 years of my life and spent a lot of time training my ear so I thought that might have something to do with it.

LeeD
01-25-2010, 08:54 AM
So what if it "pings" ??
For the player, you don't hear it until AFTER you hit the ball.
For the grandstanders, who cares?
I think, if it really bothers you, go supply her with a damper, or use one yourself.
I think heavier, softer rackets absorb lots of vibration, so don't need them as much as lighterweight big hoops.