PDA

View Full Version : Suffering really heavy defeats.

Gooner89
01-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Today I suffered my heaviest defeat ever in a league match (Winter league in UK).
Ok, Ive been injured and the snow in England hasnt helped but I felt pretty good going into todays game, although the guy on the other side of the net had a good rating.
Well it started badly and got worse. 6-0, 6-1.
My power seemed to go, my serve (a useful weapon) was awful and my reliable backhand just didnt happen, and my anticipation was a joke.
Ive never had a pasting like that.
I feel awful, my confidence has just utterly drained.
What do you guys do after a defeat like that?

Added to that I got in and watched Arsenal get dumped out of the cup. :cry:

Fedace
01-24-2010, 11:07 AM
^^when the score is 6-0 and 4-0, you retire and say you are injured.....ok so it goes in as Retirement not a Loss.

Gooner89
01-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Good answer, bit late now though.

Jim A
01-24-2010, 11:40 AM
It happens to everyone, look at Clijsters the other day and most other pros have been on either side of that.

If there is one thing I've learned since I started playing again is that what goes wrong happens to all of us. Seeing top players lose a set and a break lead makes it easier to take, that they have trouble closing out matches, getting vapor lock on the court and/or are the victim of bad calls while out there.

It's going to happen, you're better for not retiring and in a few weeks you'll be in the opposite scenario so enjoy it

beernutz
01-24-2010, 12:43 PM
It happens to everyone at one time or another. Look at the beating Fed took in the 08 French Open final (1, 3, and 0 IIRC). Total embarrassment that was, but he seems to have bounced back ok. That is, if you call winning 3 out of the next 6 slam titles and making the finals in all 6 slams since then ok.

When I take a beatdown like that I like to go home and cut out those strings and restring. That is well known to remove the bad string karma, plus stringing helps me calm down and relax.

zettabyte
01-24-2010, 01:18 PM

Mope around for a day. Contemplate quitting. Then get back on the horse and keep at it.

Everyone has their bad days.

I try to keep two things in mind: 1) No one is paying you to play. 2) You don't practice 4 to 8 hours a day, you're not going to be that good.

LeeD
01-24-2010, 02:30 PM
You gotta think...
No biggee......
Your rhythum was off.
Your opponent was ON.
If you played him 9 more times, you had to think you could get 4 and 4 at least a few times.
Part of winning is remembering the losses, but shelf them in the RIGHT place to allow you to move on.

decades
01-24-2010, 02:55 PM
you should have taken an injury time out.

neverstopplaying
01-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Without exception, everyone on TT can be beaten by someone 6-0, 6-0. It's a good opportunity to learn about yourself and your game.

ALten1
01-24-2010, 04:54 PM
there was another thread about being in the zone and that it only happens about 5 times a year. I believe if you can be in the zone 5 times a year then you can get the funk at least that many times a year.

Sumo
01-24-2010, 05:33 PM
there was another thread about being in the zone and that it only happens about 5 times a year. I believe if you can be in the zone 5 times a year then you can get the funk at least that many times a year.

I sure hope this is true, because it happened to me today.
God, I was awful.

Carlito
01-24-2010, 08:42 PM
The losses that get to me the most are the ones where I lose a big lead or lose a really close one like 6-7 in the third. If I get killed 6-1, 6-2, I just figure he was better than me on that day. But if I know I should have won, it really gets to me.

Sakkijarvi
01-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Play the next day.

LuckyR
01-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Today I suffered my heaviest defeat ever in a league match (Winter league in UK).
Ok, Ive been injured and the snow in England hasnt helped but I felt pretty good going into todays game, although the guy on the other side of the net had a good rating.
Well it started badly and got worse. 6-0, 6-1.
My power seemed to go, my serve (a useful weapon) was awful and my reliable backhand just didnt happen, and my anticipation was a joke.
Ive never had a pasting like that.
I feel awful, my confidence has just utterly drained.

Added to that I got in and watched Arsenal get dumped out of the cup. :cry:

50% of everyone who plays tennis loses, every time. If this doesn't sit well with your personality type, collect stamps.