PDA

View Full Version : The worst thing about Tourna Grip is...

stevej
01-24-2010, 11:17 AM
It's doesn't come pre cut with a sticky tab on the end. Do any of you guys have any tips for applying it on court in a hurry? Without having to break out the scissors and a piece of tape?

ODYSSEY Mk.4
01-24-2010, 11:38 AM
use your palm to anchor it down and you do the first over lap not very hard imo i prefer no sticky i just hate wasting a solid minute off the adhesive protector damn short finger nails

Mdubb23
01-24-2010, 02:09 PM
It takes a little getting used to, that's for sure. However, the performance definitely outweighs the annoyance.

cbegap
01-24-2010, 02:22 PM
I would like a tapered starting end at least and it stills seems a bit short, even with the XL version. you can't overlap it much or you will run out before you cover the entire grip. Lots of people don't seem to mind it stopping short but it drives me crazy. I don't know what you would do with a super long grip like some of the pros.

roddick_rulz
01-24-2010, 02:24 PM
What makes tournagrip so good?
I know it's very good in absorbing sweat, but does it provide a tacky feeling as well?

decades
01-24-2010, 02:35 PM
the commercials.

welcome2petrkordaland
01-24-2010, 03:32 PM
that it sucks. i don't why sweat absorption is good in a grip, since the moisture just goes from your hand to the grip. it's only a matter of time until you stroke a ball and your racket totally slips out of your hand due to the stored moisture.

just use wrist bands and towel off.

don't see how people in humid areas can use tournagrip.

to each his own, tho.

yonex super grap slightly doused w/ rosin powder, wrist bands, and a towel are all you need

JoelDali
01-24-2010, 04:52 PM
http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/new_product/PXTPRO-BL-1.jpg

Green374
01-24-2010, 05:23 PM
It's doesn't come pre cut with a sticky tab on the end. Do any of you guys have any tips for applying it on court in a hurry? Without having to break out the scissors and a piece of tape?

Anchor the starting end and pull it really tight! You are going to have to make the tourna grip short in the starting point. Then, when you reach the point, you can loosen the tension.

dantesinferno18
01-24-2010, 07:20 PM
i used to have the same problem but just practice, you get used to it i can do it fast with no problem now

Lefty5
01-25-2010, 05:11 AM

sticky tabs on the end are for noobs

DrpShot!
01-25-2010, 08:01 AM
fold over a piece when you get to the top then wrap the tape over it.

sosa09
01-25-2010, 09:14 AM
the worst thing about tourna grip is .... nothing

SirGounder
01-25-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't mind the lack of adhesive to start. I do like to cut it at an angle to start and finish, but I have been told that this is not needed. I still cut otherwise I end up with wrinkles. The overgrips that have the adhesive are annoying to me because it leaves residue when you take it off and put another one on. I always buy the XL tournagrip and always have too much left over. Then again, I don't overlap a lot.

vandre
01-25-2010, 10:04 AM
...the bryan bros.! lol!!!!

what i hate about tournagrip the most is how bits of it cling to synthetic grips after you peel it off!!!!

but on the pro side, you can use it as a headband in a pinch! check this out!!!

http://www.hottennisplayers.com.au/tennis_hotties_pics/andre_agassi_02a.jpg

mtommer
01-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Well, I don't use the adhesive at all on my Wilson Pro grips that I was using last summer. All I do is hold on to end with my thumb and then run one wrap arond the end tightly, let my thumb go, and then continue on to the top. One thing that I LOVE about TournaGrip over the Wilson Pro is that the Tournagrip overlap from grip to grip is very small so I can pull a grip without messing up the plastic covering of the next grip.

i don't why sweat absorption is good in a grip, since the moisture just goes from your hand to the grip. it's only a matter of time until you stroke a ball and your racket totally slips out of your hand due to the stored moisture.

I've found this to be an issue with any grip EXCEPT TournaGrip. As it gets wet, it gets a bit more tacky.

mtommer
01-25-2010, 10:13 AM
but on the pro side, you can use it as a headband in a pinch! check this out!!!

or as a replacement to keep your hairpiece on if you can't find bobby pins. :D

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-25-2010, 10:16 AM
The worst things about Tournagrip is that it slips, its not tacky enough, looks lame, thats about it.

JoelDali
01-25-2010, 10:24 AM
The worst things about Tournagrip is that it slips, its not tacky enough, looks lame, thats about it.

Most over-rated GOAT grip of all time.

Tourna grip was cool in 1985.

Quality sucks now.

Truth hurts.

Pacific X TAC ------ all the way, FTW.

Blade0324
01-25-2010, 10:53 AM
The worst thing about tourna grip is pretty much everything. It is hard on the hands, it isn't very tacky, it is never long enough even in the XL version, doesn't last very long, costs more than many other superior options.
Other than that I guess it's ok.

masterxfob
01-25-2010, 11:49 AM
i wish the ends were tapered, they were a bit longer, and that they were a bit more durable. other than those minor issues, i can't find another overgrip that i like better. yonex supergraps are too tacky to the point it gives me blisters, gamma supremes are too thick and slippery when wet, and wilson pros have a good amount of tack, but lack the moisture absorption i need. all specific to me of course. if one grip was perfect for everyone, we wouldn't have eleventy billion overgrips.

Green374
01-25-2010, 07:08 PM
I tried other grips, but they are junky because they feel awful! When I use Tourna grip, it feels really nice in the hand!

Green374
01-25-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't mind the lack of adhesive to start. I do like to cut it at an angle to start and finish, but I have been told that this is not needed. I still cut otherwise I end up with wrinkles. The overgrips that have the adhesive are annoying to me because it leaves residue when you take it off and put another one on. I always buy the XL tournagrip and always have too much left over. Then again, I don't overlap a lot.

If you overlap, you will not get the wrinkles!

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Most over-rated GOAT grip of all time.

Tourna grip was cool in 1985.

Quality sucks now.

Truth hurts.

Pacific X TAC ------ all the way, FTW.

I would definitely try them if they had em in a 30 pack...and they were black.:)

Are they tackier than the Yonex overgrip broham?

Green374
01-25-2010, 07:20 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/11jonls.jpg

This is how I put it on.

Jonny S&V
01-25-2010, 07:22 PM
I taper them myself, using scissors. This way I don't get any bubbles in grips.

Hemispheres
01-27-2010, 09:10 AM
I love the stuff, especially once it's "aged" on the racquet - stained with sweat and broken in, even with some peeling. Great over a leather grip. Supergrap is nice, too, but none of the others do it for me.

JoelDali
01-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Broken in and torn tournagrip, wow, perfect!

:)

SlapShot
01-27-2010, 11:21 AM
After getting used to Tournagrip, everything else feels way too spongy for me.

If I could use bare leather, I would, but a Tourna over leather is the way to roll for me. Then again, I have the hands of a rancher - plenty o' callous on these mitts.

Sumo
01-27-2010, 11:43 AM
yonex super grap slightly doused w/ rosin powder, wrist bands, and a towel are all you need

How do you get by with so little?

JoelDali
01-28-2010, 09:00 AM
I would definitely try them if they had em in a 30 pack...and they were black.:)

Are they tackier than the Yonex overgrip broham?

The Yonexs for me are thin and sandy feeling.

I love the Pacifics because they are spongy and thick and feel absolutely yummy with soft Prince replacement grip underneath.

bluetrain4
01-28-2010, 09:14 AM
I think it's funny how Unique, who makes Tourna, is so seemingly arrogant about never changing the product. A tapered end or a sticky tab would not change the product significantly and the performance would be the same, yet they don't do it.

Of course, they have an iconic product, which keeps on selling very well as is, so they probably see no reason to. In all fairness, a non-tapered end on having no sticky tab isn't that big of a deal.

As for Tourna performance, you either love it or you don't. Some people don't "get" it, because they themselves see no overwhelming need for the properties which make Tourna unqiue -- like the poster who said "just use wristbands and towel off."

But, as a lifelong user and a heavy hand sweater, it's simply a must for me. Anybody who needs Tourna in that way understands. Outside of that, there's nothing special about it. Personally, I like the rough feel, but just as many don't. And, as has been mentioned thousands of times here, if you are a heavy sweater, the durability really isn't that good.

Standupnfall
01-28-2010, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=bluetrain4;4342282]I think it's funny how Unique, who makes Tourna, is so seemingly arrogant about never changing the product. A tapered end or a sticky tab would not change the product significantly and the performance would be the same, yet they don't do it.

The life would be cut in half since most Tourna users rewrap starting from the opposite side after a bit of use

OHBH
01-28-2010, 11:30 AM
I would like a tapered starting end at least and it stills seems a bit short, even with the XL version. you can't overlap it much or you will run out before you cover the entire grip. Lots of people don't seem to mind it stopping short but it drives me crazy. I don't know what you would do with a super long grip like some of the pros.

The XL and the original are basically the same size.

Tournagrip XL= 99cm X 29mm
Original Tournagrip 99cm X 25mm

only 4mm wider. just look at the packaging. Karlovic's tournagrip doesn't even cover the last three inches of the handle

i still love the tournagrip anyways