PDA

View Full Version : Forearm Pain from Serving?

don_nguyen11490
01-24-2010, 12:50 PM
So I've been bombing serves in lately and I've been experiencing a bit of forearm pain. I'm pretty certain its not tennis elbow, my elbow is just fine. The weird part is that I can hit groundstrokes and volleys just fine but when it comes to serving my muscles get weak and the most I can muster is a slow kick serve.

I've already started heat therapy and taken some tylenol and have dedicated a week without tennis but I am just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem

bad_call
01-24-2010, 01:05 PM
what strings and tension and flex/stiffness of your racquet? have experienced this when serving flat bombs with different equipment.

don_nguyen11490
01-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Ashaway Kevlar 17s @ 58lbs in a Dunlop 4D 200 16x19 which has a 63 stiffness rating.

I should add that the grommets have broken on my racket which I have tried desperately to find replacements for but could not find so I took grommets off a dunlop AG100 and cut them up to fit. My friends call it the Frankenstein.

mikeler
01-24-2010, 01:28 PM
This is exactly how I developed the sister of tennis elbow known as Golfers Elbow. Ditch the Kevlar and use a soft multi or if you can afford go all natural gut. I'd suggest 2 weeks off and then come back by just hitting balls. Play some doubles if you can to minimize number of serves. Ultrasound and electrostimulation worked well for me.

SystemicAnomaly
01-24-2010, 01:39 PM
You may be gripping the racket too tightly when you serve.

You may have some inflammation (even tho' it may not be visible). In that case ice, rather than heat and ibuprofen (or naproxen) rather than tylenol would be best.

don_nguyen11490
01-24-2010, 01:53 PM
You may be gripping the racket too tightly when you serve.

You may have some inflammation (even tho' it may not be visible). In that case ice, rather than heat and ibuprofen (or naproxen) rather than tylenol would be best.

Only had some tylenol around but I will take your ice suggestion

This is exactly how I developed the sister of tennis elbow known as Golfers Elbow. Ditch the Kevlar and use a soft multi or if you can afford go all natural gut. I'd suggest 2 weeks off and then come back by just hitting balls. Play some doubles if you can to minimize number of serves. Ultrasound and electrostimulation worked well for me.

I'd actually love to use a soft multi or natural gut but I break strings way way too easily to afford it (syn gut lasts about 1 hours for me).

mikeler
01-24-2010, 01:57 PM
You can save money or save your elbow. Consider buying a stringing machine. I break strings too, best investment I ever made.

don_nguyen11490
01-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Could you recommend a long lasting multi? What kind of setup do you have and how long does it usually last you?

This forearm pain worries me, I've never had any arm problems whatsoever before.

Kyle7286
01-24-2010, 02:26 PM
I have the same thing ever since started using the Pro Drive Roddick GT +.. very stiff racquet and heavy. I can hit fine but as soon as i go to do my usual serve.. my arm feels weak..

charliefedererer
01-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Mikeler has given you excellent advice so far about needing softer strings and the need for rest until the pain/inflammation subsides.

You probably want to come back with the softest strings you can get, which means a multifilament or natural gut. Gut usually lasts longer than multifilament so you have to look past the initial string cost. If you search the string forum here, there are actually some pretty cheap gut sets out there. For me, the best compromise for price/longevity is Klip Armour Pro. (Unless you are independently wealthy, definitely consider getting a stringing machine.)
You may find that after you really are over this bout of forearm inflammation, you will be able to use a hybrid.

When you can do exercises without discomfort, start doing wrist curls/reverse curls with dumbells and strongly consider getting a Flexbar blue and hand gripper to strengthen your forearm muscles. These exercises seem so trivial compared with heavy lifting, but they will be very helpful to prevent recurrence of your forearm problem.