01-24-2010, 07:18 PM
I just placed an order for the following strings:

Genesis Spin X 17
Genesis Black Magic 17
Pro Supex Big Ace 17
Signum Pro Poly Plasma 17
Topspin Cyber Flash 17
Kirschbaum Pro Line II 17

I'm going to be testing these and see how they preform for me. I've never tried any of them and am looking forward to it. These seem to be very popular around here and all are top line strings.

C'mon, Fedex man.

BigHitterSE
01-24-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm loving Pro Line II. Also like Kirschbaum's Touch Turbo.

armsty
01-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Genesis Spin X 17: Awesome
Genesis Black Magic 17: Good at first, then it felt like crap
Pro Supex Big Ace 17: Awesome
Topspin Cyber Flash 17: Massive

Love 3/4...

ClubHoUno
01-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Get the Signum Pro Hyperion too !!

ryangoring
01-25-2010, 05:10 AM
Cyber flash is great at a low tension, Big ace is good when strung high tension for me.

blackfrido
01-25-2010, 06:41 AM

Love 3/4...

When you said Genesis Black Magic 17: Good at first, then it felt like crap......first is what? 10 minutes, 1 hour, 10 hours???

drummerdan
01-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Cyber flash is great at a low tension, Big ace is good when strung high tension for me.

Thanks for the info. I want to see what is an optimum tension for me. I usually string at 60# (gut/syn hybrid or full gut).

brownbearfalling
01-25-2010, 06:30 PM
What order will you try the strings?

brownbearfalling
01-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Are you considering switching to one of these strings? all the strings you are trying are relatively inexpensive on reels.

drummerdan
01-25-2010, 07:44 PM
What order will you try the strings?

I haven't really decided and I don't know if it makes a difference. What order do you think I should try them?

Are you considering switching to one of these strings? all the strings you are trying are relatively inexpensive on reels.

Maybe. However, natural gut is tough to beat. A lot of this is so I can get some good ideas for my customers. However, I'm open to it. Finding the perfect string is a never ending task!

drummerdan
01-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Just rec'd these strings today. I want to string them up and hit but we're expecting snow and the indoor courts are all booked. doh!!

drummerdan
01-29-2010, 09:14 AM
1st up: Gensis Black Magic 17 / Wilson Sensation 16 hybrid.

Strung it up this am and going to hit this pm. I'm going with 57# on the GBM (mains) and 60# on the WS (crosses). I'm planning a 2 hr hit so 1st impressions later.

Stringmeter reference tension: 59# mains, 50# crosses

Racer41c
01-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Love 3/4...

Is Massive better than Awesome?

Also, I'm digging out my kpro opens and would like to try a new string setup, what do you recommend. The issue I had with the kpro is the frame is stiff so I need a softer string setup that maintains control. I never did find the right setup.

Thanks!

drummerdan
01-30-2010, 08:03 PM
After a 2 hr hit on Saturday, I am very happy with this string. Feels very comfortable and soft. This could be partly to the Sensation but I could feel that it was a "soft" poly when I strung it up. I never felt any twinges in my arm anywhere. I'm always a bit nervous about polys because I have had some issues in the past although they were with a much stiffer string (Unique Big Hitter).

Groundies had plenty of control and this combo packs a real punch. Spin was very good but not crazy. I imagine that since it's a bit soft, the spin is muted somewhat. However, I felt that I could do no wrong. All strokes were clicking - serve, groundies, volleys, O/H, everything was on point. Excellent pocketing and feel.

My regular partner that I played said that he noticed a pickup on pace and spin was a bit less than I usually have. I usually split sets with this guy but I won 3 straight sets against him and felt in control the whole way.

My verdict on this string hybrid is a strong yes. I would definitely use this setup on a regular basis if I were looking to switch. I'll have to see how the durability is before I decide whether or not to carry this for my customers. If durability is good, it goes into inventory.

For me, the name lives up to the performance - Magic.

CzechM8
01-31-2010, 12:44 AM
drummerdan, thanks for this topic, I've had my eye on the Cyber Flash, Big Ace and Pro Line II recently, so your thread is gonna be another great source of info.

How long do you intend to keep each string in your racquet? What I'm asking is are you also testing the durability and tension stability?

nickarnold2000
01-31-2010, 06:04 AM
You should try Spin X next:)

kenshireen
01-31-2010, 07:30 AM
1st up: Gensis Black Magic 17 / Wilson Sensation 16 hybrid.

Strung it up this am and going to hit this pm. I'm going with 57# on the GBM (mains) and 60# on the WS (crosses). I'm planning a 2 hr hit so 1st impressions later.

Stringmeter reference tension: 59# mains, 50# crosses

Which brand stringmeter do you use

drummerdan
01-31-2010, 08:36 PM
drummerdan, thanks for this topic, I've had my eye on the Cyber Flash, Big Ace and Pro Line II recently, so your thread is gonna be another great source of info. How long do you intend to keep each string in your racquet? What I'm asking is are you also testing the durability and tension stability?

Basically, I'm going to keep each string in until it needs to be cut out or breaks. When it goes, I'll report a final thought.

You should try Spin X next:)

Bingo!! That's next!

Which brand stringmeter do you use

It's the actual Stringmeter brand from Unique.

schenkelini
01-31-2010, 09:11 PM
If you end up liking Big Ace, you should also try Big Ace Micro. I really love it.

drummerdan
02-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Just picked up some MSV Focus Hex 17L ( 1.18 ) to add the list. Hopefully, I can get out and hit now. A combination of poor weather and no available indoor time is killing me!!

armsty
02-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Is Massive better than Awesome?

Also, I'm digging out my kpro opens and would like to try a new string setup, what do you recommend. The issue I had with the kpro is the frame is stiff so I need a softer string setup that maintains control. I never did find the right setup.

Thanks!

Missed this post.

I love the frame. The BLX is a bit more forgiving but still love the KPO's.

For poly, I use PSGD in the crosses at the moment, softens it up heaps and if strung about 3lbs higher than the poly main give you some good pop off the poly and great spin and control. Really loving my two setups at the moment
BLXPro Open: Red code @ 51 (M). PSGD @ 50 (X)
KPro Open: Black Magic @ 50 (M). PSGD @ 54 (X)

drummerdan
02-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Decided to string up the Signum Pro Poly-Plasma and give it a go. Went with the same tension as the Black Magic test - 57# mains/60# crosses (Wilson Sensation). Played 1 set and a 10 point tiebreak with it and all I can say is Wow!! Great pocketing, spin and a surprising amount of feel. My serve felt great and it was all there - power, placement and spin. My arm was feeling fine the whole time and no problems.

During play, I switched from a different racquet to this one and I immediately noticed the difference. My opponent also said that spin increased measurably. I was surprised several times when the ball dropped in when I didn't think it was going to. This one has moved ahead of the black magic string as my favorite string so far in these tests.

This is a great string and highly recommended!

drummerdan
02-14-2010, 04:12 PM
2 sets of doubles today with the SPPP. Fantastic stuff. I can tell a marked improvement in spin and feel. Yes, I said feel. Volleys felt good and solid. Overall, the string felt like a less powerful but more "spinny" version of natural gut. I'm very impressed.

The rest of the strings in my test are going to have to really step up to top the SPPP.

drummerdan
02-18-2010, 07:52 PM
I got a couple more hours of hitting with the SPPP. Great stuff as before but I have felt a few twinges of pain in my arm. It's really too bad because I really like this string. It's definitely not the comfort level I felt with the Black Magic.

Any other experiences with arm issues with this string?

AJK1
02-19-2010, 01:48 AM
Save yourself a lot of time and money and get yourself some Luxilon string, it's the best, that's why the pros use it.

drummerdan
02-19-2010, 06:41 AM
Save yourself a lot of time and money and get yourself some Luxilon string, it's the best, that's why the pros use it.

I've tried the several of the lux strings and found them not to be very arm friendly, plus, they tend to be pricey. That's why the testing of these strings.

kslick
02-19-2010, 07:50 AM

I hear this statement all the time and has to be the dumbest thing I hear on these boards.

AJK1
02-19-2010, 04:58 PM
I hear this statement all the time and has to be the dumbest thing I hear on these boards.

No, your post on your forehands was the dumbest seen on these boards for a long time, what a classic!!

drummerdan
02-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Just strung up a new test with MSV Focus Hex (17ga) today. 53# in the mains and 56# in the crosses with Gosen Micro 17ga. This is the manufacturers max tension (MSV) so we'll see how this goes. I'm looking forward to a nice, comfortable ride. <fingers crossed>

4.5 league matches this weekend so I should be able to give it a decent test.

drummerdan
02-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Just rec'd a free mini roll from Topspin with their new Cyber twirl. Had to string it up in a hybrid and give it a go tomorrow. Same setup as the MSV above. Now I've got 2 strings to playtest!

More later...

drummerdan
02-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Since it got all the way up to 40 degrees today, I decided to fire up the ball machine and continue testing. I have 3 strings - Black Magic, Topspin Cyber Twirl and MSV Focus Hex currently strung up. I only hit groundstrokes today.

1) The Black Magic continues to be a great string after about 7 hrs of hitting. Soft, comfortable and good spin.

2) MSV Focus Hex is also a very nice string. Good, solid amount of spin and semi-comfortable. I could feel the vibration a bit but it wasn't too harsh. Nice control and a moderate amount of spin. I didn't give it as much hitting time because of the Topspin...

3) Topspin Cyber Twirl - wow! The spin with this string is crazy. I was having balls drop straight down (so it seemed) at a better rate than either of the 2 other strings. I have full confidence with this string. It's a bit harsher than I would like but I could live with it. This is a textured string and it felt like it had teeth. If my arm can take it, this is a contender.

armsty
02-24-2010, 04:37 PM
I have a set of Cyber Twirl on the way... I'm so keen.

If you don't mind I might post up my new string tests I am doing in the next few months.

Got:
ALU Rough
Blue Gear
head ultra tour
topspin cyber red
cyber black
cyber twirl
cyber whirl

drummerdan
02-24-2010, 08:42 PM
I have a set of Cyber Twirl on the way... I'm so keen.

Well, if you like spin, you'll love this string.

If you don't mind I might post up my new string tests I am doing in the next few months.

Got:
ALU Rough
Blue Gear
head ultra tour
topspin cyber red
cyber black
cyber twirl
cyber whirl

No problem. I would love to hear about them. Looks like a good lineup.

armsty
02-25-2010, 06:12 AM
Also decided to let rip on a set of Polytech which I haven't used for about 2 years. I know it's crap string, I've used it before but I hybrid all mine now so It'll be alright to have a play with.

drummerdan
03-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm now getting ready to test the Genesis Spin-X 17ga with my usual sensation cross setup. 57/60 hybrid.

Update: 15+ hours with Black Magic and going strong. Soft, powerful, comfortable and excellent spin. May be the best string I've ever tried but I've got more tests to go. This string was great from the start and there's been little to no deterioration in playability. Zero arm issues. I've thought about cutting it out to make way for other string tests, but I just can't do it!

If the Spin-X is better than Black Magic (as some here say), I can't wait!!

I've also got the MSV Focus Hex in a racquet and I'm find it to be an excellent string, too. It's going to be tough to decide on 1 string since I've got so many great strings to choose from.

Comments?

armsty
03-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Spin X is awesome stuff. I prefered Hepta Twist which I believe is just a more spin friendly Focus Hex.

drummerdan
03-03-2010, 01:21 PM
I gave Spin-X a go yesterday afternoon for about 30 minutes. Great spin, not harsh at all and felt pretty good from the start. As I remember, the Black Magic was a bit softer from the beginning but the Spin-X isn't too stiff. Hopefully, I can get some actual sets in with this string soon. It's looking promising...

More later.

armsty
03-03-2010, 01:32 PM
ALU Rough
Blue Gear
topspin cyber red
cyber black
cyber twirl
cyber whirl

Took Head Ultra Tour out. Sold that in 2 hybrids for customers. Really keen to rip the cyber twirl. Looks magic, got it today.

drummerdan
03-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Just crossed 20 hours with black magic. :shock: It is retaining tension beautifully and the playability is nearly as good as ever. Played 2 sets and a tiebreaker last night and it still played exceptionally. Comfortable, spinny and is a solid as a rock. I absolutely love this string but I still have a bunch more strings to test. For now, it's black magic in my racquets until something better comes along.

Still, the testing will continue.

Blade0324
03-12-2010, 11:41 AM
I'll be curious to see what you think of all of these strings. I've tried nearly all of them and the only one I actually like at all is Pro LIne II. Most of the others are pretty much below average in my book.

Tennis_Crazed
03-12-2010, 01:07 PM

Well it really depends on your playing level and how often your breaking your strings. I don't think any of these strings compare to Lux. I'll provide my own detailed reviews for you guys

People looking for a string to perform for a couple of hours before they break them vs. others looking to get 10+hrs of play are 2 completely separate groups of players.

drummerdan
03-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Went with a full job of Black Magic @ 55#. Hit for about 45 minutes and...Fantastic! It's got it all - soft, spinny, control, power. This is my number 1 string so far and the others in my test are going to have to show me a lot to beat out GBM.

Next up: Pro Supex Big Ace 17.

drummerdan
03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Strung up the Pro Supex Big Ace 17 (red) at 55# yesterday for a hit with the ball machine for an initial test. It strung up very nicely and wasn't a problem.

Groundstrokes

I felt I couldn't miss with this string. There wasn't a lot of power and spin was somewhere in the middle of what I have tested but control was outstanding. It's a bit mushy but not offensive and I could feel the ball on the strings nicely. I had no problem keeping the ball in and frankly, the ball landed a bit short at times. After a brief adjustment period, I re-adjusted and could get the ball deep regularly. Many times, the ball dropped in when I thought it was going out.
9/10

Serves

Again, control was there but I didn't feel any real "pop" on the serve. The spin was adequate but nothing special. I could direct the ball pretty well but it didn't feel like I was getting a lot of mph's. If you need more zip on your serves, these strings aren't it.
7/10

Volleys-O/H

Volleys felt real nice. Touch was excellent and control was evident. This is a very nice volleying string. O/H's were solid and I felt confident placing them where I wanted.
9/10

Arm Issues

None. I never felt a twinge at any point during the hit. It felt soft and I feel that it would never cause any arm problems with me.
10/10

Initial Impressions - Overall

Even though I only hit for about an hour, I feel like I know this string. It's definitely a control string with a moderate amount of spin. A solid string that is for hard hitters and players who like to volley. One thing I really liked - the color! This is a beautiful red and never turned pink(ish). I could see myself using this string if I felt that I had started losing control. This string would reel me back in, I think.
8/10

I really want to see how this plays during an actual match. Weather permitting, that test will happen soon. More on that later.

JoelDali
04-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Just crossed 20 hours with black magic. :shock: It is retaining tension beautifully and the playability is nearly as good as ever. Played 2 sets and a tiebreaker last night and it still played exceptionally. Comfortable, spinny and is a solid as a rock. I absolutely love this string but I still have a bunch more strings to test. For now, it's black magic in my racquets until something better comes along.

Still, the testing will continue.

I bought a set to try based on your raves...what do you suggest a K88 be string at with it?

I told my guy 62....

Thanks!

drummerdan
04-06-2010, 12:52 PM
I bought a set to try based on your raves...what do you suggest a K88 be string at with it?

I told my guy 62....

Thanks!

I have strung my ksix one 95 at 57# with no arm issues an d excellent results. I think I could go up a bit in tension but I don't need/want to. I also strung a full bed of it at 55# and it felt great. If you trying to achieve more control/spin by stringing at a higher range, I don't think you need to.

JoelDali
04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks, I called him and said 60.

Will try it out tomorrow night on clay.

drummerdan
04-06-2010, 02:56 PM
My latest test: WeissCannon SilverString 17ga @57# / Pro Supex Maxim Touch 16ga @60#.

The stringing was super fast and easy. The WC was soft feeling when stringing and the Pro Supex was a bit greasy but it installed very nicely. It reminded me a little of Wilson Sensation but a little more stretchy. Next: the playtest as soon as the weather straightens up a bit. Maybe later this evening.