PDA

View Full Version : tension or string stiffness more important?

markwillplay
01-24-2010, 08:09 PM
I amreally struggling with this question. Want to protect arm and shoulder at all times. I have a stick that does not like gut any less than 60 lbs...trust me on that..really will fly on you with gut in mid 50's...so is it better to put a lower powered string in (say a nyn gut) at a lower tension or a softer string (like nat gut) at higher tension. I swear I am beginning to think that a little stiffer string with less powerful at lower tensions is more comfy. Which makes more difference?

mikeler
01-25-2010, 05:36 AM
I've never played with natural gut, but others seem to string it high and don't get arm problems. I'm currently playing with a multi at the lowest tension. I'd rather make a few more errors and save my arm for the next match. Good luck.

Meaghan
01-25-2010, 06:00 AM
could go with a soft poly at low tensions.
Polystar energy is elastic and powerful for a poly, nice feel, not stiff but has those poly qualities of spin and control.

Its the most 'multi like' poly ive used with all the benefits of a poly without the arm ache!

PimpMyGame
01-25-2010, 06:10 AM
I've never had a problem with natural gut at high tensions, although I have had a problem with stiffer string at lower tensions so that's my take. Although everyone's arm is different so I think you may need to experiment.

86golf
01-29-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm surprised more haven't chimed in on this topic.

I'm of the believe that a poly with syn gut hybrid can play as soft as a multi or full bed of syn gut with enough tension differential. I'm not sure what that magical number is, but in my experience a poly hybrid in the mid to high forties isn't any more harsh than a syn gut mono at high 50's tension.

I think gut stands alone and is difficult to differentiate. There are too many good synthetics for me to tinker with gut.

I may be in the minority regarding this issue, but I think most people tension poly too much and that is why it gets such a bad rap regarding injuries. I know too many players that hit every day with poly and even kevlar and don't have any string related injuries.

Frankauc
01-29-2010, 12:49 PM
i hit with a full bed of sp poly tornado 16g at 67lbs. never had a arm problem

jim e
01-29-2010, 01:04 PM
I amreally struggling with this question. Want to protect arm and shoulder at all times. I have a stick that does not like gut any less than 60 lbs...trust me on that..really will fly on you with gut in mid 50's...so is it better to put a lower powered string in (say a nyn gut) at a lower tension or a softer string (like nat gut) at higher tension. I swear I am beginning to think that a little stiffer string with less powerful at lower tensions is more comfy. Which makes more difference?

My own racquets are strung with nat.gut at 64lbs. (OS racquets), and 61lbs.(MP racquets), and to me feels much more comfortable than stiffer strings at a lower tension, but that is me.Bottom line is what you feel is the best for you, and what works best for your type of play.

86golf
01-29-2010, 01:11 PM
i hit with a full bed of sp poly tornado 16g at 67lbs. never had a arm problem

I just got a twinge of pain in my elbow after reading your post. I'm going to ice it down now...