PDA

View Full Version : body fat problem

tin
01-25-2010, 12:37 AM
ok i'm 20 years old female...35% body fat during the beginning of january '10....twas calculated by some weighing scale thingy....i'm 5'3'' and weigh 128 lbs...so i have a healthy bmi....how to bring the body fat % down? what should i avoid eating?and start doing?

cphstennis
01-25-2010, 06:38 AM
research and youll find alot. eat good foods, 4-6 small meals a day, exercise alot. do alot of cardio its pretty much that simple. just cut out all the junk in your diet. i drink pop only on holidays because theres usually nothing else. dont substitute pop with stuff like gatorade or lifewater. gatorades good if you just ran a marathon or something like that. lifewater and stuff like fuze isnt great because of the artificial sweetners (aspartame and asculfame potassium are bad). then just stick to whatever plan you come up with

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-25-2010, 06:54 AM
I have recently discovered a good fat burning tip. If you have time do cardio for an hour. Then later in the day lift weights for at least 30 minutes or vice versa. I do this on the weekends and during the week I do both back to back say 3 times during the week. It burns massive calories.:twisted:

kslick
01-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Do not eat 6 small meals, thats for bodybuilders. Three meals and one small snack between lunch and dinner. The rest; hard work of cardio and weight training.

Kunohara
01-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Like it has been mentionned above, good eating habits is key. Avoid anything fried, butter, etc.

But, you must also understand that the body DOES needs fats and that you DO need to include them in your diet. You simply have to choose good fats: fish, nuts, olive oil are all example of good fats.

For cardio, don't do the run slow for a long time thing that I see so many people do.

If you want to cut fat and get killer cardio, you want to do HIIT. It will achieve both goals, and will even make you faster for tennis. HIIT will take you 40 mins at the beginner level, and you will wish it was finished by the 25 minute mark, if doing it properly.

Google HIIT :)

cncretecwbo
01-25-2010, 07:49 AM
For cardio, don't do the run slow for a long time thing that I see so many people do.

just because it takes longer doesnt mean it is worse... low-intensity, steady-state cardio burns a higher percentage of fat per calorie burned (correct me if i am wrong) and not everyone wants to push him or herself as hard as is necessary for HIIT.

Kunohara
01-25-2010, 07:51 AM
just because it takes longer doesnt mean it is worse... low-intensity, steady-state cardio burns a higher percentage of fat per calorie burned (correct me if i am wrong) and not everyone wants to push him or herself as hard as is necessary for HIIT.

Except that running slow will transpose to being slower on the court. Train running slow and your body will be used to running slow.

charliefedererer
01-25-2010, 08:29 AM
ok i'm 20 years old female...35% body fat during the beginning of january '10....twas calculated by some weighing scale thingy....i'm 5'3'' and weigh 128 lbs...so i have a healthy bmi....how to bring the body fat % down? what should i avoid eating?and start doing?

1. Eat less. Especially avoid all junk foods and high calorie drinks. Start every day with a breakfast of cereal. Have a salad as part of every dinner. Practice now for eating for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Enjoy the good food available, not the junk food available.

2. Any bit of exercise you do will help. It's unlikely you are in good enough shape to do high intensity interval training (HIIT) right now. Walk, jog, ride a bike, work out to an exercise video or take a class. Whatever. Just get started. Oh yeah... tennis can be great exercise...IF...you are running to every ball and recovering quickly and are having long rallies and no time off in between points. (Otherwise tennis is more social than exercise. You can mix it, but don't neglect the exercise part.) Consider more total body workouts to involve the core (back and abdominal muscles) and arms, as well as your legs, if you want to be in the best shape possible for your tennis.

[Pat yourself on the back for already being in some reasonable shape, and for asking the questions. Good luck!]

cesarmo03
01-25-2010, 09:31 AM
TIN: a good way to accelerate your metabolism is everytime you wake u,drink a full glass of water :)

i love t3nn1s
01-25-2010, 04:02 PM
research and youll find alot. eat good foods, 4-6 small meals a day, exercise alot. do alot of cardio its pretty much that simple. just cut out all the junk in your diet. i drink pop only on holidays because theres usually nothing else. dont substitute pop with stuff like gatorade or lifewater. gatorades good if you just ran a marathon or something like that. lifewater and stuff like fuze isnt great because of the artificial sweetners (aspartame and asculfame potassium are bad). then just stick to whatever plan you come up with

You are wrong about the no FUZE thing. I have included FUZE Slenderize ever since i started my diet and have lost well over 50 pounds. Im not saying FUZE will help you lose weight, but its a much better choice than soda or those sugary juice drinks. Vitamin water is also a not very good thing to drink.

tin
01-25-2010, 05:22 PM
eep...just ate bread with butter this morning...

thank you all for the advice though:)....i want to hit balls already!!!

malakas
01-25-2010, 05:28 PM
weight scales fat calculators don't work.The result can change a lot based on your hydration level etc.Don't bother so much over a mere number.If you want there are better tests to take.

Vyse
01-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Do not eat 6 small meals, thats for bodybuilders. Three meals and one small snack between lunch and dinner. The rest; hard work of cardio and weight training.

What are you talking about? Three smaller meals isn't for bodybuilders. This is how is should be for every one. There are numerous benefits to smaller meals than 3 big meals. Eat every 3 hours.

FastFreddy
01-25-2010, 07:10 PM
You need to start running and lifting weight to lose bf and gain lean muscle mass. For 5'3 you should weigh 115 not 128. Also write down everything you eat and count your kcals and lose 1-2 pounds a week max.

tennis24
01-25-2010, 07:14 PM
obviously eat good grains and fruits/veggies??!!

ManuGinobili
01-25-2010, 11:54 PM
You need to start running and lifting weight to lose bf .

to lose boyfriend? lolll

Ok more serious now.

Eat: NATURAL food - dont mistaken this for organic food or a pure veggie diet, meat is GOOD... studies have shown that some indigenous diets that has 50% saturated fat in them actually increased longevity for those people. What you want to do is avoid processed food, chemical laden food like fried stuff, frozen meals. Bread and pasta are kinda considered not natural for the human digestive system.... Basically anything you think the cavemen ate should be good lol.
Have more but smaller meals, cant stretch this enough. It does wonder by itself.

Do: I'm not a fitness guru but rope jumping, lunges, suicides are some really good exercises for tennis players that also burn fat and dont require a gym membership - that's 3 benefits in one package. Think a cardio that will improve your flexibility and explosiveness.
One thing, when you burn fat you also burn muscles, theres no way around it. What you want to do is vary your exercises and intensity so that the muscles have to constantly adapt and actually grow.

cphstennis
01-26-2010, 05:27 AM
You are wrong about the no FUZE thing. I have included FUZE Slenderize ever since i started my diet and have lost well over 50 pounds. Im not saying FUZE will help you lose weight, but its a much better choice than soda or those sugary juice drinks. Vitamin water is also a not very good thing to drink.

i understand they can help you to lose weight. i think they at least a few of the fuze drinks contain aspartame. there has been alot of controversy with aspartame causing cancer and stuff

kslick
01-26-2010, 06:53 AM
What are you talking about? Three smaller meals isn't for bodybuilders. This is how is should be for every one. There are numerous benefits to smaller meals than 3 big meals. Eat every 3 hours.

What are you talking about? I said six smaller meals for body builders not 3. And no one said eat 3 big meals. Eat 3 moderate meals and one small snack between lunch and dinner.

Itagaki
01-26-2010, 07:07 AM
What are you talking about? I said six smaller meals for body builders not 3. And no one said eat 3 big meals. Eat 3 moderate meals and one small snack between lunch and dinner.

regardless, 6 smaller meals is good for everyone, i dont know why you believe only bodybuilders should do this

kslick
01-26-2010, 07:15 AM
regardless, 6 smaller meals is good for everyone, i dont know why you believe only bodybuilders should do this

Six smaller meals is not for everyone. I'm not saying that six is a bad thing but it is not for everyone. If you look it up six will work for some people but 3 and a snack will work for others. The point is each person is different and you need to find what works for you.

Go to the internet you find all different reports on both but yes bodybuilders did employ the 6 meal routine.

Vyse
01-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Six smaller meals is not for everyone. I'm not saying that six is a bad thing but it is not for everyone. If you look it up six will work for some people but 3 and a snack will work for others. The point is each person is different and you need to find what works for you.

Go to the internet you find all different reports on both but yes bodybuilders did employ the 6 meal routine.

They do because its the healthiest which is why everyone should do it. Food experts have tried to get people to do this. Lets look at it this way, eat every 3 hours or so. That will be about 5-6 meals a day. If you wake up at 9,than maybe the 3 main meals, and a snack somewhat makes sense if the meals are smaller and your snack is bigger. But you should probably have something at night, too.

kslick
01-26-2010, 07:38 AM
They do because its the healthiest which is why everyone should do it. Food experts have tried to get people to do this. Lets look at it this way, eat every 3 hours or so. That will be about 5-6 meals a day. If you wake up at 9,than maybe the 3 main meals, and a snack somewhat makes sense if the meals are smaller and your snack is bigger. But you should probably have something at night, too.

I hear what you are saying and I'm not saying that is incorrect but not all food experts agree with that. 6 may work for some but its not for everyone. The way I'm talking about is also what you put in your body. Eating more fibers and whole grains which makes the mind think you fuller and you stay full for longer. I've had many clients that 6 meals works for them but others have busy lives and 6 is too many meals to have to think about each day and that theory didn't work for them and the weight didn't come off.

You have to adjust to your body type and what your goals are. Their is nothing set in stone of what is wrong or right. We could debate this all day long but we wouldn't get anywhere. Point being their are other options out there and you have to do what works for you i.e. body type, age, gender, lifestyle.

crystal_clear
01-26-2010, 02:58 PM
1. Eat less. Especially avoid all junk foods and high calorie drinks. Start every day with a breakfast of cereal. Have a salad as part of every dinner. Practice now for eating for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Enjoy the good food available, not the junk food available.

2. Any bit of exercise you do will help. It's unlikely you are in good enough shape to do high intensity interval training (HIIT) right now. Walk, jog, ride a bike, work out to an exercise video or take a class. Whatever. Just get started. Oh yeah... tennis can be great exercise...IF...you are running to every ball and recovering quickly and are having long rallies and no time off in between points. (Otherwise tennis is more social than exercise. You can mix it, but don't neglect the exercise part.) Consider more total body workouts to involve the core (back and abdominal muscles) and arms, as well as your legs, if you want to be in the best shape possible for your tennis.

[Pat yourself on the back for already being in some reasonable shape, and for asking the questions. Good luck!]

Great advice~

charliefedererer
01-27-2010, 07:11 AM
I happened to see this article, and thought you might be interested:
The Scales Can Lie: Hidden Fat
New Study Argues Even Thin People Can Face Health Risks From Fat; It's 'Normal Weight Obesity'
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB20001424052748704762904575025313433081780.html

Basically, people that don't "look" overweight can still be carrying a surprising amount of body fat if they don't have reasonably toned muscles. (Muscles that aren't worked get smaller, and don't weigh as much as muscles when you are working out. The weight of the smaller muscles is replaced by extra fat.)
And they can still be prone to the negative health problems associated with a relatively high body fat composition. That is higher rates of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease and diabetes.

This is NOT to scare you, but maybe to provide even another reason to play more tennis and work out some more.
Although the great feeling from being in great shape should be reward enough.
And it's hard to beat tennis as an enjoyable workout.

FastFreddy
01-27-2010, 08:46 AM
to lose boyfriend? lolll

Ok more serious now.

Eat: NATURAL food - dont mistaken this for organic food or a pure veggie diet, meat is GOOD... studies have shown that some indigenous diets that has 50% saturated fat in them actually increased longevity for those people. What you want to do is avoid processed food, chemical laden food like fried stuff, frozen meals. Bread and pasta are kinda considered not natural for the human digestive system.... Basically anything you think the cavemen ate should be good lol.
Have more but smaller meals, cant stretch this enough. It does wonder by itself.

Do: I'm not a fitness guru but rope jumping, lunges, suicides are some really good exercises for tennis players that also burn fat and dont require a gym membership - that's 3 benefits in one package. Think a cardio that will improve your flexibility and explosiveness.
One thing, when you burn fat you also burn muscles, theres no way around it. What you want to do is vary your exercises and intensity so that the muscles have to constantly adapt and actually grow.

bf is for bodyfat.